Posted on October 17th, 2011 by Barry Collins

Upgrading to iOS 5: what worked and what didn’t

iOS 5 iPad

Here at PC Pro, we try and do things so that you don’t have to. That’s why we’ve spent a good part of the weekend installing iOS on as many different Apple devices as we could lay our hands on. Although judging by the comments on our Twitter feed and earlier story about iOS 5 problems, many of you haven’t hung around to find out how we got on…

Our experience should help guide people who have yet to click the magic button in iTunes. And even if you’ve already downloaded iOS 5 onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, some of the problems and workarounds we’ve discovered will still be of interest.

Here’s what we’ve found:

INSTALLATION TIMES AND ISSUES

David Bayon’s iPhone 4 – David Bayon’s iPhone 4 was the first to get the iOS 5 treatment on the night of release. The download was quick, the upgrade process itself worked first time and the phone was up and running in iOS 5 in little more than an hour. However, as he was switching to a new Mac, he expectedly lost all of his music and apps – or almost all of them. For some reason the upgrader decided to keep 35 seemingly randomly selected apps on the phone; the rest had to be re-downloaded. That process added an extra hour to the total upgrade time, and that’s without restoring the music collection

The office iPad 2 – The office iPad 2 was upgraded on Friday morning, once the crush of Thursday night’s launch had died down a little. The whole update process took a little over an hour, and (despite a barrage of error messages) worked flawlessly. However, it should be noted that we changed the PC that the iPad was synched with shortly before the upgrade, and despite iTunes assuring us that a full backup had been taken, all of our apps and settings were lost during the upgrade.

Barry Collins’ iPad 2 – Our second attempt at installing iOS 5 was on Barry’s personal iPad 2. The whole process took just over two hours, more than double the time it took on the office iPad. This is partly due to an enforced iTunes upgrade, partly due to the use of a slower home broadband connection, and largely because the iOS 5 download stalled three quarters of the way through on the first attempt, forcing us to start from scratch. Someone at Apple should be fired for not including a decent download manager in iTunes. However, the whole process went smoothly and every single one of the dozen or so apps was restored with their data intact.

Barry Collins’ iPhone 3GS – The iPhone 3GS is the oldest iPhone hardware supported by iOS 5, and given that iOS 4 had certainly handicapped the performance of the 3GS, we weren’t overly optimistic about this. As with the iPad 2, the whole process took about two hours and the entire OS had to be downloaded afresh, as there are obvious differences between the tablet and smartphone OS. The upgrade went relatively smoothly, but although iTunes claimed it had restored all of the 82 apps on the 3GS, 30 or so were not reinstalled. That meant we had to manually re-download a number of apps, and lost all the settings and data (see problem apps below). However, the iPhone 3GS was definitely running much more smoothly after the iOS 5 upgrade, with none of the stutter that used to occur on the lock screen or when swishing between home screens. Battery life, however, is another issue, as you’ll see below…

PROBLEM APPS

Although the base OS largely appears to be working fine on all our devices (see battery issues below), there are a few apps that seem to be struggling with iOS 5.

The Facebook app – which was only recently updated – appears to be extremely slow and crash-prone on smartphones, with many people reporting that the app frequently crashes whenever you attempt to do post a comment or photo or during other basic task.

The excellent TomTom app was booted off Barry’s iPhone 3GS during the update to iOS 5. Although the app itself works fine when reinstalled, users are unable to restore paid-for services such as HD Traffic updates, which are critical to many users. Many people are reporting the issue on TomTom’s forums, and the company claims a fix is on the way, although it really should have dealt with the issue during the extended beta period – during which many people reported the problem.

Google Voice, which isn’t available in the UK anyway, has reportedly been pulled from the App Store because of crashes.

BATTERY DRAIN ISSUES

The most worrying issue with iOS 5 are the reports of rapid battery drain. Indeed, Barry’s iPhone 3GS went from 60% charged to empty in less than three hours yesterday, with the phone getting unusually warm in the process. Many other users are reporting similar issues on Twitter and tech forums, and it’s not confined to the ageing 3GS: owners of iPhone 4 and even the new 4S have reported poor battery life, not to mention iPad users.

It’s not clear what’s causing the batteries to deplete so quickly. The OS X Daily website has a list of the chief suspects, including Bluetooth, faulty location services and the new notifications menu.

On Barry’s iPhone 3GS, a faulty calendar entry had lodged itself in the new notifications centre,  which refused to shut and caused the notifications screen to flicker rapidly. Once calendar notifications had been switched off, the battery drain appeared to return to normal, but we can’t say for certain if this was the culprit.

Others have suggested that Apple’s new Find Friends app could be the guilty party, with frequent requests from friends to verify your location causing the power-sapping GPS chip to kick-in frequently.

We’ve only seen this problem on one of our four devices we’ve upgraded to iOS 5, but it’s certainly one that Apple must quickly get to grips with.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Posted in: Hardware

118 Responses to “ Upgrading to iOS 5: what worked and what didn’t ”

1. james016 Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

My boss upgraded his iPhone 4 at the weekend. His music didn’t work. He had to remove it all and re-synch and the app TuneIn Radio is not working properly. He gets 5 seconds of music then it stops for 30 seconds.

I am waiting for the time being.

2. dee1 Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I had a hard time with the upgrade 2 hours and I lost all my music and ring-tones, I got the music back on to the phone but my ring-tones won’t stay on!!!! WTF

3. wilsonsworld Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Did the kids iPod Touches and the family iPad 2. No issues with either. Only gripe was the ’scary’ restore it did to get to iOS5. Looked at one point that the ‘returning to factory settings’ had wiped them but all well with the hundreds of apps we have all being available and foldered as before

4. rogmac Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 1:35 pm

For several weeks before upgrade I was having problems with my battery life before the upgrade, even truning off GPS, data, WiFi and Bluetooth. After upgrade problem has gone away and I am back to expected battery life expectations.

I have found with any Apple upgrade, closing down the iPhone3GS or iPad 1, and restarting before any upgrade seems to avoid any of these kinds of problems happening. I have had no problems with either machine since the upgrade.

5. Mikhael Michaelides Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hmmm – am trying to post my comments here, but they’re not appearing! OK to summarise:

It took me ages and several goes, but it did work. Several tips I can give everyone:

1) BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!! Have you backed up? Back up again!! ;^)
    2) Turn OFF your anti-virus killer whilst the upgrade is happening (in my case MS Security Essentials) as it can block certain ports and then iTunes gets stuck in an upgrade loop. Remember to turn it back ON afterwards of course.
    3) This upgrade can take *hours*, particularly with me as I have a 32Gb phone, about 180 apps (~12Gb) and about 15Gb of music.

Amazingly enough everything works…! Will try to put my full post on here again later…

Mikhael

6. Mikhael Michaelides Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:13 pm

OK I can’t seem to put my full post on here (it’s an essay!), but I’ve managed to post it on your previous article which links to this one (”Apple suffer iOS 5 Upgrade problems”):

Hope it’s helpful! :^)

Mikhael

7. Lloyd Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

After upgrading my iPhone 4 to IOS5, all my emails across several accounts were re-flagged as unread, 800 emails isn’t fun to re-flag as read!

8. lisa Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

taken me two days first time never worked at all thats with downloading all night sat then tried again sunday and it put my phone in recovery mode for 2 hours then reset it self back to factory settings my itunes couldnt detect my phone i had to set it all up again as new phone i dont have imessage or photo booth do i have to down load those?? x

9. lisa Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

oh and i lost everything i’d bought downlaoded ect thats even with backing up!!!

10. Greg Parker Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Upgraded itunes firs iPhone next error during upgrade wiped phone ran upgrade again it worked, next day upgrades 3 for iMac including iPhoto, then one upgrade for apple tv all done , all working the only thing apple need to sort out now is uploading from iWork to iCloud at the moment you have to drag and drop documents

11. Stephen Simon Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

DL iOs5 and lost all apps – had to be reinstalled – keypad is iffy now when I text. Can’t apple do the debug before they launch. Last time they launched a major os change by 3G went into slow motion for a few months – till they fixed the OS. And does anyone believe for a second the problems with google voice are not created by apple and designed by apple.

12. barrada Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Upgraded daughter’s iphone 4 yesterday. Waited until then for the rush to die down. Needn’t have bothered. Took hours. Phone bricked. Waiting for guidance to get it up and running now. Contract up next month so it will be an Andrid phone – either Samsung Galaxy SII or the new Galaxy Nexus depending on its specs which should come out soon.

13. Damien Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I suspect the battery drain may be down to iTunes wifi sync. I had severe trouble with getting my Outlook calendar to work with iCloud, I had to rebuild my PST file, remake recurring tasks and entries and shave off the excesses. It’s working now, but it was a lot of down time. I do not like the way that iCloud completely hijacks your Outlook PST file, in that it completely empties the old one, and creates a new iCloud version. Not clever, Apple.

14. SimonFD Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Upgraded my iPhone 3GS in approx 1 hour. The phone had suffered stutturing under iOS4 but this seems to be reduced with 5. All music seems to be there as do all the apps. I do like some of the new features so all in all a good upgrade.

15. Rain Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:03 pm

tried to upgrade but phone bricked. Had to have IOS 5 put on by my apple shop, and come home to restore backup. Restore now says, “estimated Time: 5 hours”…sigh…

16. Mike Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Ipad2: I didn’t even know ver 5 was out and was just I thought doing a normal update. It took 12 hours from (UK times) 1pm Sat to 1am Sun.

Afterwards none of the apps would work. That problem was fixed by adding a new app (any new app it would appear) – then the existing apps started working again.

One problem in the early stages was that I needed to be connected to a PC which meant the iPad2 wasn’t chanrging. I couldn’t though plug in the iPad2 to the mains because the connection was being used for the PC/iTunes. (Thanks, Apple).

Only when the software had been installed onto to iPad2 could I remove the PC connection and finally connect the iPad to the mains.

Motto: always make sure you have a 100% charged iPad before you upgrade from iTunes on anything but the latest range of Macs. (Again, thanks a lot, Apple)

17. Seth Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Upgraded the iPod touch last night. The actual download was fine, however, the install process was troublesome. First, once the OS has been upgraded, now it wont recognize any of my backups. I had to restore as if it were a brand new iPod and reinstall all of my music and apps. Second, after that process, it kept hanging and giving me a (-34) error and it would not finish syncing. After several attempts, a restart of the iMac and then leaving it until morning, it seems to finally be syncing everything. I don’t think I’ll be upgrading my phone anytime soon with all of the issues that it seems to be having.

18. Phil Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I have 25,000 photos on my iPhone, in about 120 folders. They are a combination of scans, 5MP digital photos, and 12MP digital photos, as well as photos taken on my 1phone. Everything synced perfectly off my PC before the upgrade. Now only about 60% load. By process of elimination I’ve figured out that the 12MP jam the system and shut the sync down. Restoring does nothing to alleviate the problem.

19. Phil Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I have read that battery issues can be attributed to iCloud use or email accounts that existed before the update. If you delete and recreate the email accounts the battery use calms down.

20. Robertt Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Lots of problems for my 3GS with the IOS 5 upgrade. I then remembered that all Apple OS upgrades are designed to get you to dump your old hardware and buy their new model. Always. Hmmm. Proably should have stayed with 4.x after all. The battle resumes today.

21. Geofox2000 Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I am concerned that I am still having problems updating my ipad 2. I have done all of the above and more. this is foolishness. We have had major upgrades before but not with this kind of negative publicity – all of it from legitimate sources – the customers!This could have been avoided if greater freedom was given in terms of multiple and reliable websites simple downloading of the OS and then confirming the registration. The OS only works on one set of hardware and is being given free to all apple customers so why the need for confirmation at this time? Instead we have a convoluted system that lead inevitably to this mess.

22. Toni Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Battery life on my 3GS is terrible! Went from nearly fully charged to dead overnight.

23. toffer99 Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Look at the wasted hours described here and multiply that by all the Apple users around the world.
    Years of wasted time. Don’t Apple do any testing before releasing upgrades? This is reminiscent of Windows upgrades of 5 years ago.

24. CraigieDD Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

one iPhone4 bricked in the office and another that lost all it’s apps….

Without delighting in others problems, and failing, I’m glad that I didn’t give in and get an iphone after all.

What surprises me, is that for an I.T. based public, how many of us still live by the “If it works, don’t fix it” maxim?

25. CraigieDD Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:10 pm

oh and as an aside, 23 posts on this topic already… If you think that’s bad, you should check out the reaction stateside.. You’d think that Apple had send a representative round to every i owners house and punched them in the face.

26. CraigieDD Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:11 pm

..metaphorically speaking, I guess for some, they did.

27. ChrisR Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I upgraded my Ipod touch 4G and found my music had gone. However, I could see from ITunes that the music was still on the IPod, but the player was just not picking it up. A hard restart didn’t work so I just copied all my playlists over again, which fixed it. My Apps were fine.

28. Phil Simpson Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Reckon I’m one of the lucky ones… My youngest sons iPhone 3GS and my iPad 2 upgraded with no hitches and are running beautifully. I think the battery life on both is draining a little more quicky… But nothing too drastic. My transfer from MobileMe to ICloud also went well so I’m a happy man.

29. nic morano Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 5:47 pm

i have 3gs. i downloaded iOS 5 last saturday evening. everything’s there. everything’s ok. no crashes, no losses. took me 10 hours to download 668mb though.

30. Sam Lloyd Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Downloaded the update in about 30 minutes, was installed within another 30. A few problems though, all my apps were removed (a simple matter of just transferring back across) some album artwork was lost (more annoying) and my text tone needed to be changed because the one I had previously been using now glitches slightly. It begins playing, stops, then plays again. Overall though, not too bad.

31. Heather Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Updated an iPhone 4 to iOS 5. Phone seems to be working fine, but I’m not seeing about 90% of the new features iOS 5 is supposed to have. At this point, the only new features I see on the screen is that ipod now reads “music” and I have newsstand and reminders apps. How do I get my iPhone to fully recognize my update so that I can get all of the features of the upgrade?

32. Zoe Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Iv got the iPhone 3GS and it took over ten hours to up date to the new software crashing 4 times had to do it over night frequently having to wake up to check it !!!!! X

33. Cole Thompson Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 8:22 pm

iphone 4 wouldn’t upgrade; error 3194

iPhone 4s frequently has the “Sync Now” greyed out for unexplained reasons.

iPad cannot add images to the Gallery (no mobile me option in the “Share” window).

34. TimoGunt Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

holy crap. This is from the company that ‘just works’. How have they made such a gaff? Thinking of getting a couple of iPad 2s this christmas but I’m slightly worried now

35. Jordan Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 9:06 pm

My 3Gs had been running very hot since I installed iOS5, blowing through a full charge in a matter of hours. The sleep/wake button had also ceased to work, and the OS has been running very very slow. I tried everything to reduce the drain on the battery and CPU (reducing screen brightness, closing all apps, shutting off all notifications, turning off bluetooth, turning off wifi), but nothing seemed to work stop the madness.
    I noticed that even after closing all my apps and turning off all notifications, with WIFI ‘on’ my router was pinging off the charts. What’s pulling all the data 5 days after installing iOS5 (and no I’m not backing up to iCloud).
    I’ve now turned off WIFI and cellular data and the phone is running smoothly, battery life is back to normal, and strangely enough the sleep/wake button is functioning again.
    I’m starting to appreciate iOS5 now but without my data I’m dead in the water.
    Any thoughts?

36. Andy Taylor Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Downloaded iOS 5 with no problem. On start up lost all music and most of my apps. After reinstalling apps they appeared to work. The main issue I have found is the date on the diary is correct but all future events are on the wrong dates when in list mode. When events checked all info and dare are correct. This appears to sort its self if you exit and then activate again but not today. Today when I activated my iphone4 I slid the activate bar and the phone then froze for about half an hour would not charge or turn off. Hope this will sort itself out with iOS5.1 or 5.2 when they have to bring them out in the next few weeks.

37. Wesley Jordan Says:
    October 17th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I downloaded and installed the iOS 5 firmware only to have my Bluetooth loosing connection with my car radio (where I play my songs through and my hands free telephone mode). The Bluetooth just cuts out, displaying on my car radio “Read Error” every few seconds. This is the biggest headache ever with the upgrades. Why would this update cause problems with the Bluetooth anyway?

Apple fix this bug fast !!!!!

38. john Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 12:57 am

upated itunes great then updated 3Gs took 2 hours then when I checked my phone numbers all were lost. Tried to find them but nowhere to be found. Today had serious trouble trying to check email and go on the net, then finally got to check emails and had to go through all old emails. Not happy at all and can’t find out how or where my phone numbers are.

39. Robert Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:00 am

“all Apple upgrades are designed to [make you buy new]“. 3GS is doing fine thanks, but if it wasn’t I’d not be too surprised considering how for the OS has come since then. Typing this on an eMac, which is probably older than many iPhone users. The Apple Support forum has solutions to most issues reported.

40. Arpi Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:34 am

DL iOS 5 on my 3GS but I no longer receive incoming texts until I shut the phone down and power up again. After sending a text once powered up, message pops up, “Your SMS mailbox if full. New messages cannot be received until you delete some messages.” Also lost visual voicemail.

41. K Perry Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:50 am

I have tried for 3 days to update to IOS 5 and the network times out each time. I tried everything the apple website said to do and nothing works. I do not know what to do now. I’m not waiting on a call from apple customer service.

42. Steve Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 2:38 am

Apple has been beta testing on us for years. Serves all of you right for being suckered into upgrading as soon as a new iOS comes out. THINK, people. You are all beta testers for ME. Thanks!

43. Wayne G Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 2:45 am

3gs upgraded to ios 5
    Mistake
    Slow upgrade
    Slow system response after upgrade
    Battery life terrible post upgrade
    Apple has some work to do…. Fast

44. Loretta Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 4:41 am

Updated an iPhone 4 to iOS 5. Lost my ringtones and can’t get them back on. Also lost the apps that were purchased. The free ones are still there though.

45. ArtofZen Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 9:10 am

Updated my 3GS last Thursday night. Took a couple of hours but no problems or errors whatsoever. Didn’t lose a thing and loving the new features and performance is better/smoother. Very happy indeed.

46. Tony Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 10:33 am

What surprises me is the wild variation in outcomes. Have we not been told that Apple’s tight control over the hardware and software over all generations means a more assured level of quality?

How can it be that two people loading the same software onto the same hardware can have such vastly differing experiences?

Smacks of poor testing to me. Shame on you Apple. You will have to do much better if you are going to continue to compete with the big boys.

47. Mausam Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 10:50 am

well i updated my iphone 4 within same hour ios5 was released. was slow download but works smoothly now. didn’t loose anything too :)

48. Susan Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:12 pm

This has been an annoying “upgrade”, to say the least. Other than wasting several hours, I lost all my apps (was able to get most back), ringtones ( still haven’t gotten them back although they show up on iTunes), lost a lot of texts, photos, phone numbers, Facebook keeps kicking out. I read that you can disable all kinds of things in order to save battery, so what’s the purpose of having iPhone then? Right now could just as well be using the first cell phone I ever had since this has turned basically useless. Huge disappointment.

49. Mikhael Michaelides Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

@Steve

Yes you’re right… I think the old adage that used to be applied to Microsoft should have been applied here:

“Wait for Service Pack 1″!

Or in this case, wait for 5.0 to move off a “.0″ release to a “.0.1″ at the very least.

This is the price we pay for being bleeding edge! ;^)

50. Freedom Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Download and install went smoothly. My music, videos, and podcasts are all missing on my iPod touch 4g. Apps are all there, however when tapping, they flash and never open. The only apps working are those by default from Apple.

I am hoping a fix is in the works soon as I use my iPod daily.

51. Bill Maslen Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Hate to say it, but my upgrades (to iPhone 3GS and iPad 2) both went very smoothly, although they took a long time. I had the -3200 error half way through the iPhone upgrade, but it did the right thing eventually. The iPad upgrade was extremely smooth. Battery life on the iPhone has been negatively affected, however – although battery life on the iPad 2 actually appears to have improved. Weird or what?!

52. TechAmateur Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Haven’t installed iOS5 on iPhone4 yet, because I can’t!

Went to download and install iOS5 and was told I had to upgrade iTunes to 10.5 first, which I did successfully.

I was then told that before I could install iOS5 I should transfer some apps from phone to computer (Windows Vista PC). Sadly iTunes refuses to do that.

So until iTunes lets me transfer apps to the computer, I can’t do anything now!

53. Frustrated Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Upgraded Ipad2 & iPhone3GS to IOS5.
    Have lost the internet connection over wifi. Connects to the router but won’t access the internet. Need a fix badly apple!

54. Annoyed Says:
    October 19th, 2011 at 11:17 am

Since upgrading to IOS5 on my Iphone4 I can no longer send MMS and my battery life has decreased by a significant amount, wish I hadn’t bothered

55. Caricoto Says:
    October 19th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Tried endlessly to upgrade my iPad 2. No use …kept getting error 3194. Next morning iPad froze… No sliding of on bar. Did a hard reset and the touchscreen began working again. Then noticed my apps for example angry birds began showing up fuzzy. Had to do a hard reset again(twice) before the resolution improved. I’m afraid to try the upgrade now. If only trying had such terrible effects, what would happen if I actually got the upgrade? Makes me wonder.

56. Christopher Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 5:47 am

After updating to iOS 5, all my music and photos are gone. How do I restore them to my iPhone?

57. ST Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 7:21 am

Not sure what the brouhaha is. I upgraded without any issues. Things work a touch speedier in fact.

58. Jake Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 7:27 am

Hmmm,
    Upgraded iPhone 4 to iOS 5 on the night of release, one crash, had to re download OS, but all went fine in the end. Lost half of my apps, so had to re-download.
    iPhone 3GS, BRICKED, been bricked for a week now, numerous calls to apple, Eventually Apple said my phone had a hardware fault, and because out of warranty £130 to fix…. Well it worked fine before the update, and there are hundreds of similar reports on apple’s own support forum..
    To the apple store today, security will have to escort me from premises if they won’t replace!

59. Graham Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 7:36 am

Avoided the first even as servers to busy. Since then upgraded 64gb iPad 2 3/4 full of apps, audio, video etc, iPhone4, iPad 1, and two brand new ipad2s. All upgraded fine. Only problem was on the loaded devices some icons got moved around and on iPhone need to resynch the contacts.
    OS5 improvements look good.

60. Harvey Lexton Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 7:45 am

Upgraded, backed up all data and apps onto iMac from iPad 2 the upgrade went ok but it did not put the apps back on, had to download from app store. I didn’t make a note of the apps and can’t remember the names of two of them, one in particular I use a lot and now lost it.

I am wondering if my time machine has it somewhere on a backup of my iPad into iTunes on my iMac.

61. Judy Powell Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 8:04 am

Have updated iPhone 4, iPad 2 and husband’s iPad 1 with no trouble except for having to restart the iPhone to reset the Calendar app which was not working properly initially. Some passwords and log-in data had to be entered again but otherwise all OK.

62. Roger Moss Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 9:08 am

Installed on an iPod Touch 4 on the day after release, starting with the reported need to download/upgrade iTunes. In fairness, the app advised me to backup the unit before OS upgrade installation, as everything would be lost. I did, and all went smoothly, but again I had to shunt all the apps over, which iTunes had failed to do. All stable now, but the upgrade experience was far from being ‘it just works’…

63. Christographer Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 9:17 am

The only problem I had was with the emails in my O2 account all being flagged as unread. It was a real pain to have to go through them individually to mark them as read. Why can’t you select the lot and mark in one go?

64. shane smith Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 1:01 pm

just upgraded my iphone 4 to ios5 also did my son’s and wife’s, I had major problems with the first upgrade,after hours of seaching forums for answers I found out that the firewall on my pc was the problem,I turned this off and the next two instalments went like a dream, I’m running windows 7 with zone alarm firewall.

65. Jon Evan-Cook Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

So I guess my iPhone 3G doesn’t have a hope in hell!

66. AJ Says:
    October 20th, 2011 at 7:00 pm

My upgrade went smooth as silk, but now the copy and paste function isn’t working properly, my clipboard still contains text I copied hours ago, yet when I try to replace it by copying something else, it still has the other text and not the new one I try to copy. Also, browsing is very jerky in parts, and some image headers on sites I regularly use are displayed in the wrong colours.

Wish I’d stayed with 4.3.1 for now, I’ll know better next time.

67. jack Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 4:09 am

iPhone 3GS Performance after an upgrade ?

68. Nigel Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 8:10 am

Apps not working after upgrade. Genius bar couldn’t inure it out until one guy said to remove an app and relic stall. Then all other apps worked,!! All music and photos needed to be reloaded due to error -48
    Battery drain is definitely greater. iPad 1

69. David Artiss Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 9:48 am

I upgraded my daughter’s iPod Touch 4G last weekend and didn’t experience any problems (that I’m aware – she’s not complained about anything yet).

David.

70. john Stephenson Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 12:17 pm

upgraded my 3gs to IOS 5 only problem ive encounters is when i get a text i get a double tritone ie the second starts half way through the first one like an echo how can I fix this

71. halsteadk Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Reading the 4 attempts by PC Pro, I’m not convinced that any was particularly smooth, other than BC’s iPad2. Given this is Apple, we should expect that settings, apps and files will be all there after the upgrade.

My iPod Touch 4G was problematic and needed several restore attempts. Settings and photos were correctly picked up each time. Download was reasonable on the evening of release, but impossible to install until the next day as it couldn’t connect with the verification server despite many attempts.

Attempt 1: synced apps but no music, books or other content.

Attempt 2: synced all the music first but couldn’t fit most of the apps on because 2GB of the space was allocated to “Other”. This just left a mess of “waiting” apps. Online help to try to clear the “Other” was no use (nothing official from Apple).

Attempt 3: as attempt 1. I ended up manually putting my music back on (but it was a good opportunity to review what I put back on so I’ve ended up with more apps on the device and more free space than before).

Was it worth it? The notification system is useful but only after configuring it sensibly. However, it is irritating to keep dragging it down by mistake when playing a game. Otherwise I’m not sure any other part was worth the hassle, other than the enforced opportunity to review my synced music. An over-hyped disappointment.

72. bendy101 Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 2:20 pm

An utter disaster. Some apps won’t open, others crash randomly on my 3GS. All functions are slow and movement stutters. Battery life is even worse than before.
    Can it be uninstalled??

73. JonnyAiks Says:
    October 21st, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I have had iOS5 since day two, and lots of apps crash, some games permanently. Today lost all my music – music functionality lost altogether, I’m sure the data files are still there. I am going to try a complete restore and re-sync. I guess iOS5 is dying because it can’t stand being alive without Mr. Jobs.

74. Confucious Says:
    October 22nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I really don’t know why Apple offer major FW releases as ‘upgrades’.

This happens every time.

99% of problems disappear if you restore your device to i)S5 and not update and then set up as a new dev.ice. Do NOT restore from a backup.

All apps/music can be re synched. Photos can be copied off first and copied back after (Not sure about the size limit as someone had problems with 12Mp ones).

Settings will be lost and so will texts (there are ways of keeping texts if you really need too). but this is far better than the problems people ALWAYS experience on a major iOS upgrade.

The only real fault with iOS5 is error 1 when trying to use iOS5 on a 3G iPad 1 – this can be resolved by using redsn0w’s “Recovery Fix”.

75. dfgfdg Says:
    October 22nd, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Good news: this website ((http://itshrunk.com/cd9649) ) we has been updated and add products and many things they abandoned their increases are welcome to visit our website. Accept cash or credit card payments, free transport. You can try oh, will make you satisfied.

76. Em Says:
    October 22nd, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I managed the upgrade my iPad and unlike most people I wasn’t phased by the hours it took. I’m used to losing most of my music and books every time. But now I also have intermittent Internet usage due to it constantly dropping out. So no more streaming TV and even downloading new apps is causing problems! I really, really need Apple to fix this problem ASAP!

77. Nik Higham Says:
    October 23rd, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Out of 3 iPhones and 1 iPad only 1 phone updated correctly. The other iPhones and iPad lost all apps, music and photo’s… The one that worked showed it was backing up then re-installing apps, photo’s etc. The others didn’t and also failed to restore from backup….

78. PaulH Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 10:01 am

2 x iPhone 3GS, 1 x iPad 2. Done on the evening of release, followed instructions to backup, update then restore. Slow download of iOS5 but absolutely no problems during the process or after with anything. Battery life actually better on 3GS.

79. tarot SMS Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 11:30 am

Sync wirelessly over Wi-Fi in combination with the beta version of iTunes still 10.5, and updates OTA (Over-the-air). On the other hand, the application under the name “Reminders” acts as a basic task manager, you get new features for setting the alarm sounds, plus each of the records are displayed as results when making Spotlight search

80. Server Support Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 11:59 am

I recently updated my iPod touch 4 to iOS 5 and I have experienced some issues with freezing when unlocking the device. Has anyone else experienced this?

October 24th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Mein barfed and wouldn’t complete, because I didn’t have a SIM card in my iPhone 3GS (I now use a Sensation as my main phone). Because there was no SIM, it wouldn’t “activate” the iPhone. WTF? The iPhone had been active for over 2 years, until iOS 5 came along… :-S

In the end, I had to take a spare SIM card from another phone, just to complete the update, then put the SIM back in its proper place…

October 24th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

+++ I forgot to say, my htc 7 Mozart got its Mango update this morning. It too refused to update until it had a valid SIM card installed!

Why do they need a SIM card in order to complete a software upgrade?!?!

83. AndyT Says:
    October 24th, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Sent email to editor who pointed me at this blog. Update took 3 attempts. Space allocated to “other” so would not restore apps / music. Eventually did a hard restore and this time went okay. Issue is now bluetooth – cannot use my factory fitted hands free or music player. Player goes off after a period of time and then nothing works until ignition is switched off. Numerous rants over this issue on apple and car forums.

84. Zippy204 Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Perhaps use a blackberry bold 9700, playbook, a normal mp3 player (if needed in addition)and a decent pc and laptop instead? I never seem to have these problems.

85. Brandon Says:
    October 26th, 2011 at 8:59 pm

My iPhone 3G S battery is terrible and my iPhone reboots itself. SHOULD HAVE NEVER DID THE UPDATE…Cheap performance!!

86. PeterCW3 Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 7:47 am

Waited for the initial rush to download was over and then set about updating three devices – iPhone 3GS; iTouch 4; iPad 1. First had to upgrade iTunes and then warned to copy apps to PC running Windows 7. Each device took over an hour to update and really annoying that the Apple updated seems to download the upgrade software afresh for each device. Despite copying apps to PC as warned for each device, every one lost some of the apps when restored with no apparent logic as to what worked and what did not. More annoyingly every device lost my grouping of apps into folders meaning much time was spent afterwards on each device restoring my way of working. Both phone and iPod are noticeably crisper to look at screen and things seem to run smoothly except unlocking phone which seems to pause and hesitate before you can use the phone. Cannot say it has been the smoothest experience and certainly more time-consuming than one should expect from Apple.

87. Gian Bertorelli Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:31 am

The upgrade was fairly smooth, albeit 2+hours in length. However Music had to be resynched. The biggest issue is that the music will no longer playback in my Audi using the inbuild Media function, keeps on saying Loading . . . .

88. Mark Overell Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 8:47 am

Uodated two iPhone 4 phones and an iPad, no problems with any. Battery life seems better on the phones, no different on the iPad.

89. peterhen Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 9:05 am

Upgraded my old and trusty iPod Touch. It took a while but in the end all was fine. Had some scary moments where it rebooted on its own during the upgrade process but… it worked.
    Next day I want to sync my downloaded podcasts… nada… nothing, just sits there and waits, but the iPod Touch ain’t doing anything… no sign of it getting into sync mode… hmm.
    Gave it a manual reboot, and all was fine after that.
    Had to repeat the screen configs as iOS5 upgrade had shuffled things around, but all in all not bad. It did resync the apps and I had not one case of an app disappearing, although I have to admit I don’t use many of the features. Music, Navigation, Airline apps, Kindle and other stuff. Will do the iPhone 3GS later I think, and will do a clean reboot before the upgrade.

90. PK Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Nothing much about IPod touch. After hours of restoring etc, and a lot of time on phone last year, Apple replaced my ITouch. I still haven’t got much on it thankfully. I’ve been clicking LATER to the upgrade invitation so far, now think I might click NEVER in future, and NEVER to any invitation to buy an IPad or IPhone.

91. Glenn Jones Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My iPhone 4upgrade was smooth as silk talking just over an hour. My iPad was far less smooth. It deleted most of my apps and all my mp3 but none of the wav files I use in Amplitube. It also deleted all my Zinio mags and Kindle e-books So I had quite a bit of re installation to do. Having said all that the process was still way easier than the nine hours it took me to upgrade a Dell Streak 5 from Android 1.6 to 2.2 with no help from Dell or my telco. This would seem to indicate that even on. Bad day, Apple has it all over Android.

92. Weian Zhu Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

My upgrade of my iPhone 3GS failed for the first time, leaving the phone in a limbo state. Rebooted the PC and tried again. This time the iOS5 is installed fine but none of my personal data – pictures, apps etc – is left. All gone. At the beginning of the upgrade the iTune said it backed up the data but now nothing is found. Good work, Apple!

93. Charlie Littlemore Says:
    October 30th, 2011 at 12:07 am

I had error 3197 I downloaded iTunes 10.5 but it still wouldn’t install iOS 5. After it extracts the software is when the message appears

94. EZ Says:
    October 30th, 2011 at 2:03 am

Wow, steve jobs isn’t dead a month and Apple is already sucking balls

95. tony Says:
    October 30th, 2011 at 1:38 pm

upgraded a g3s and 4 both in about an hour, both run better, no problems with any apps or music.

96. Dawn Says:
    October 31st, 2011 at 3:03 am

My voicemail stopped working. Every time I try to access, I get a notification that says Voicemail unavailable. Could not authorize access. And when I try to call my phone, my provider’s auto message tells me that my administrator has reset my pass. Guess I’ll have to call and talk to a real person.

97. Sian Says:
    November 2nd, 2011 at 1:26 pm

i had no probles whatsoever updating my 3s, but for that it was over a 3G dongle. everything running well and batery life improved, BUT; every few days I now seem to be getting an error telling me to rstore im iTunes; OR it tells me activation reqired; OR it loses signal and the carrier option disappears from the settings menu. this s coupled with travelling to Norway for work (reluctant to use data roaming on the phone and possible problems with THEIR network) and poor wifi reducimg the functionality of iTunes. Don’ know if the error will go away if I can retore on a home network but so far looks as if this is a unique problem and rather frustrating!

98. Maggi Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 2:00 am

Original Ipad…. now my iBooks is crazy… pdf’s are fine, but anything epub is suspect. Some titles are OK, but most totally stuffed.

99. Maggi Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 2:09 am

I downloaded the free app Ipad user guide Ios5 and my iPad can’t read the pictures… I have little blue boxes with ‘?’ in……
    Anyone else having trouble with IBooks?????

100. MGV Says:
    November 8th, 2011 at 9:43 am

Updated my I pad1 to IOS5 in less than 2 hours with no problems ! I think it is worth updating to get the new Notifications and Messages. However I am not using I cloud as I only have one Apple device.

101. Kyle K Says:
    November 12th, 2011 at 2:27 am

This update is TERRIBLE!!!
    First, I don’t want Game Center or Newsstand. What makes Apple think they always know best? I paid them $1000 for my iPad…let me set it up my way.
    All my icons and apps are gone…this will be the third time I have had to download an entire year of Zinio magazines. I’m furious. I can’t tell you how disappointed I am in Apple. I’ve gone from LOVING my iPad to absolutely detesting it. How disappointing of Apple. THey blew this big time. My upgrade is going on hour 4 and it’s not done yet. Ridiculous!!!

102. Ian Says:
    November 16th, 2011 at 9:12 pm

iPad2, upgrade through iTunes & it worked great, 3 hours & it returned all my Apps, all my music, all my photos. Even my Wifi password. That is with over 18 Gb used. No problems at all.

103. Ram Says:
    November 19th, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I upgraded my iPad 2 to OS5 and it is a mess.
    1. Bookmark bar folders have disappeared.
    2. Some apps like Print and Share gone
    3. PDF s which I had saved in a separate folder in iBook have vanished
    4. VPN connections have been wiped out
    Thank you apple! Shades of bad old days

104. Lidia Says:
    November 20th, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I just upgraded my iPod touch and now cannot connect to the Internet. Wi-fi appears to be working, the iPod can be seen as a client, but all apps requiring internet access are dysfunctional. The little sunbeam keeps spinning round and round…

105. Irene B Says:
    November 26th, 2011 at 9:58 pm

After the iOS5 upgrade on my iPhone 4 I lost the plus sign in the calendar and the edit button in Contact. Very frustrating.

106. ConEdLtd Says:
    December 9th, 2011 at 12:13 pm

WARNING!!! The reason to back up your phone is not because of Apps. You can download those again. You may lose ALL contacts (Yes, google the unhappy many!) and the super helpful iTunes deletes your backups, as it thinks it has no further use for them once the update has finished.

Backup and “very important”… copy backup to another location! (Yes… or you will lose your backup) You can always use 3rd party tools to recover contacts later. Even if 3rd party tools report no contacts, keep going. Use sqlite to export tables into Excel and reimport contacts into iPhone via email system. (Outlook or Google).

If you are too late and contacts and backup have gone, use an undelete program to recover the deleted backups and then proceed with 3rd party tools/sqlite. But the sooner you try the recover the deleted backup the better, so that backup files do not get overwritten by other files.

(There is some debate as to why this happens to some users and not others. Possibly due to selecting iCloud backup, before your device is fully restored, with everything on it. Also, let the phone fully, restore before playing with it!)

Good Luck!

107. andy Says:
    January 15th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I *was* an Apple fan until the update procedure. Absolute mess.

First, iTunes wanted to make a backup. Good idea, I thought. BUT, my PC (which had a 64GB solid-state HDD as drive C:, according to MS-recommendations for Windows7) was not able to store the Apple backup, because it is *not* possible in iTunes to specify, where the backup shall be stored. Unbelievable, even MS-DOS in the 80s was better. So there was no possibility to update the iPad because the previously required backup of the iPad was not possible. So I went out and bought a 128GB SSD harddrive and replaced my 64GB SSD in the PC. First I made a backup with the Win-7 built in system-backup software (where I can specify, it shall backup my system to an USB drive), installed the new C: drive and restored the backup from the external USB. WITHOUT **ANY** problem!! Windows-7 is really good now.
    Not back to Apple, the mess goes on:
    After 2 hours of iPad backup, download, hangups and hardresets, Apps and more important, all data gone. Do I have a backup? Everytime I connect my iPad to the PC, iTunes tells me, that it makes a backup. Perfect! Now I need it. But: iTunes tells me: No backup there. Reason: After the update to OS5, the first thing iTunes does, ist make a update. During this process, it deletes the previous update. So now I have a backup of a completely fresh and empty iPad. The valuable backup two hours ago has been deleted. That’s childish software from the early days of computing. Shame on Apple, unbelieveable.
    The disappointment goes on. I bought this iPad right before Christmas to store my pictures on it. I have a collection of about 8000 pictures, carefully sorted in several directory trees and sub directories on the server. After synchronising these with the iPad, not only the directory structure is gone, but the pictures appear in an arbitrary sequence. No chance to change anything on the ipad or iTunes. Abolute mess. I’m now completely disappointed, these Apple stuff looks nice on pictures and ads, you can show 10 pictures and look for the weather, but you cannot and should not rely on these gimmicks. I will NEVER buy anything again from Apple.

108. Andrew Says:
    January 26th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

3Gs Upgrade to 5.0.1 wnet ok until it wanted my voicemail password, but I never put a password on my voicemail and then my backup restore asked for a password for which there is none configged. HAd to do new phone install and eversice cannot access my voicemail.
    DEFINITELY slower. Must be all that extra tracking processing they’ve added. Luv Ya Steve

109. Pat Says:
    February 26th, 2012 at 4:27 am

When I upgraded my iPad, I lost my data. It said that my axloadcomplete could not be found. I have been so upset.

110. Adam Says:
    March 2nd, 2012 at 10:54 am

I updated my iPhone 4s, no problems at all, totally trouble free, just let it get on with itself.

Updated iPad2 this week, it worked, it took ages (I walked away but it was probably in excess of 3 hrs) much much longer than the iPhone but it did work and I can’t really complain.

My only frustration with the latest OS is that podcasts still cannot be sorted. Someone at Apple should take this as a career enhancing opportunity and do something intuitive with podcast sorting!!!!

111. Chrstine Says:
    March 17th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m starting to think my problems are from the IOS 5.1 update. At first, my iPhone 3GS worked fine. The update took a little while and my phone was still a little laggy but other than that, nothing outrageous. Fast forward about five days later, I’m at my boyfriend’s when my phone randomly says it has no service. I ignore it thinking the network was down or it was just a temporary fluke. I go to check my phone again and I have a notification that says something along the lines of, “iPhone will not send or recieve phone calls until restored.
    On a whim, I reset my phone, and upon turning back on, it diplayed the USB cord with and arrow pointing from it to the iTunes symbol saying COnnect to iTunes at the top. -.- So I get home, go to restore my phone, which I try twice with no effect. On the third time iTunes gives me an error message saying, “The iPhone you connected may be damaged and cannot be reactivated.” How in the halibut did that happen? I’ve only ever dropped it twice, once without a case three months ago and once with a case two months ago. And I’ve never had any problems outside of the typical lag sometimes, occasional app crash, and random pause of music. All just little annoyancesm nothing crazy. So I’m not really sure what’s going on/:

112. Bonnie Says:
    March 18th, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I had problems similar to Chrstine above. I updated my itunes library then backed up my 4gs without updating to ios5. Then I did the ios5 update & got an error that I didn’t write down (dumb move) that it didn’t work..in the 6000’s error I think. Then it wouldn’t recognize my phone. So I read on apple to unplug other usb items, plug in the back & restart pc which I did. Recognized my phone & now I had the pic of the usb cord saying connect to itunes. Got a message itunes detected iphone in recovery mode. Must restore this iphone before it can be used. So I tried & kept getting error 21 security software. I tuned off mcafee still got error. Deleted mcafee still got error. Called back & they tried a couple things finally went to tier 2 support. Had to restore on a newer pc & turn off mcafee cause it didn’t work first time. Now am restoring from back up on older pc. Hope the thing works when all is said & done. What a nightmare Been working on it for about 5 hours so far not couting last night.

113. Wendy Says:
    April 11th, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Added latest update from Apple last week, apart from taking c.45mins all seemed well. However now it is not qorking right with my bluetooth car system. It seems to work fine except for the fact that no one can hear me. I can hear them perfectly and it was working fine before this update. Can not find any issues with mutes on the car or phone so can only assume it is the upgrade… any ideas?
    Thanks

114. the top Apple iPhone 4s deals Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:18 am

As an update… Sprint finally rolled out their info on
    the iPhone these days, pushing almost 48 hours late.
    The best part, it looks like they are offering no early upgrades for existing customers.
    D’oh!

115. Iphone unlock Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

When I initially commented I appear to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on every time a comment
    is added I get 4 emails with the exact same
    comment. There has to be a means you are able to remove me from that service?
    Thanks a lot!

116. Elsa Says:
    February 27th, 2013 at 4:54 am

This article provides clear idea designed for the new users of
    blogging, that truly how to do running a blog.

117. Nik32 Says:
    March 22nd, 2013 at 12:38 pm

IOS 6.1.3 Untether Jailbreak Released !!! Download NOW http://adf.ly/LOjLt

118. e cigaret nikotin Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 6:00 am

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I in finding this topic to be really one thing that I believe I would never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely vast for me. I am having a look forward to your subsequent submit, I¡¦ll try to get the dangle of it!