Posted on July 22nd, 2011 by Tim Danton

Dell claims its customer support has improved by 90% – do you agree?

Dell customer supportCustomer support is about as sexy as cauliflower cheese, but anyone who’s suffered a bad experience will know just how infuriating it can be. What’s even worse is when it appears that companies just don’t care, which is why my hellishly early interview with Tim Griffin this morning – who has overall responsibility for Dell’s global customer support – was so welcome.

For a start, it’s refreshing that Dell is so open to the fact that its support hasn’t always been great. “We’ve obviously not fared too well in your own surveys over the past couple of years,” Griffin said, referring to PC Pro’s annual reliability and service survey, “and it’s something we’re very cognisant of.”

(I’ll interrupt myself here to say that if you haven’t already taken part – and we do rely on a huge number of responses to make our results significant – then you have just over a week to do so. And you’ll be in with a chance of winning one of our £4,500-worth of prizes too.)

I’m not fooling myself. I realise that it took more than a succession of PC Pro surveys to kickstart what Griffin refers to as a “sea change”, and one of those factors was the return of Michael Dell in February 2007.

On his return, Mr Dell seemed none-too-pleased with the drop in customer support – the term Dell Hell became a little too well recognised – and placed renewed emphasis on customer support. So I asked Tim: was Michael happy?

“I think ‘pleased but never satisfied’ would be a reasonable description. He’s pushing me and the team hard as you’d expect [but] this is a company-wide initiative and we’re all on board with it, it’s not something that’s a purely Michael-driven agenda.”

You’d have thought the boss would have been a little bit more than satisfied, because Griffin claims a 90% improvement in customer support. To be precise, he said that Dell’s “net satisfaction score” has increased by “90% in the UK over the last six quarters”.

Now this figure is based on hard facts – Dell receives feedback from 50,000 people a week via online surveys, so it has the data to back it up – and I’m confident it’s true. So how has it achieved such good results?

“One of the things that’s been driving our customers mad is wait times and being transferred,” said Griffin. “We’ve taken out a huge number of transfers in our system and, in that process, obviously delighting the customer with shorter wait times.”

What hasn’t changed is where many of the customer support teams are based. “We use India,” says Griffin, “but they’re not outsourced [contractors] they’re Dell employees [for] warranty-based support.”

Dell employees or not, I pointed out, such call centres are often vilified by customers who have to call them, but Griffin insists they invest in much training. “You’ve got language skills to make sure they’re fully understood, you’ve got technical skills to make sure we can actually fix issues, and then we’ve got customer service training to make sure they’ve got the right empathetic approach.”

But that, said Griffin, isn’t the key. “We find if you fix the issue and fix it fast, and do so with respect, then the ‘where’ becomes a non-issue.”

Of course, this could all be meaningless. If the results of our survey find Dell’s customer support rating lingering in the three-star zone then, so far as we can tell, it’s all talk and no action. And whilst we wait for the results – did I mention you can take part in the survey for another week? – I’d be very interested to hear if your Dell experience matches Tim Griffin’s claims.

Tags: , , ,

Posted in: Hardware

51 Responses to “ Dell claims its customer support has improved by 90% – do you agree? ”

1. Steve Williams Says:
    July 22nd, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I had problems with Dell support in Feb/March this year. I phoned and logged support messages on the web site. The phone call should have produced in warranty replacement parts but did not. The web site only produced automated response emails. I then wrote good old fashioned letters and posted them to Michael Dell and to the head of Dell UK. This produced the replacement parts double quick but no-one in the Dell organisation had the courtesy to reply to my letters. If Dell have improved by 90% then how bad was it last year?

2. Jamie Says:
    July 22nd, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Well i think they have been pretty good.
    Back in January I realised that my wireless card didn’t detect 5ghz wifi networks when it did say it did when I bought it. They swapped the card out for the better model within 3 days no quibbling. Plus they came out to do it, when i only had the standard send back warranty.

3. Iain Says:
    July 23rd, 2011 at 9:18 am

Working for a Tech brand within a major and highly vilified “Electronics Retailer” we deal with Dell a lot for warranty jobs.

I really with they would move from India and also increase the quality of the phone lines as both factors can make it very difficult to understand the operative and make yourself understood. That being said the actual base support is excellent as long as you don’t have to send the item away.

If you can get them to ship parts, we’ve even had touchpad/palm rests shipped on top of the usual HDDs/RAM etc, Dell are great. The parts get to you quickly and without fuss, they usually don’t even bother to ask for the old parts back.

Unfortunately it’s not so great if you have to send the item back for repair. Dell’s courier is useless and often breaks units, smashed screens and plastics etc, along with missing pickup appointments. For some reason, for us anyway, Dell don’t use the same courier for parts as whole machines.

Discounting the courier, service is ok however it’s usually pretty difficult to get any kind of update from Dell without actually phoning and the repairs can perhaps take a little too long.

4. Emir Says:
    July 23rd, 2011 at 10:54 am

We have a Latitude with a 3 year onsite warranty and it has been perfect. The two times that we called (both resulting in a monitor swap) the engineer promptly turned up at my office the day after. The call to support took less than twenty minutes.

As for return-to-base warranty I haven’t tried it, but given it’s not much cheaper I see it as a no brainer.

5. henryg Says:
    July 23rd, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Well as I’ve been waiting since 16th July for a reply to my email which generated Case ID: 14179519 in reply, I think I’d have to say ‘No’!

It was SO hard to be polite!!

6. CmdPrompt Says:
    July 23rd, 2011 at 8:11 pm

If anyone takes out their 4 hour mission critical support, be aware – very aware.

The 4 hour (or 8 – whichever you choose) is only guarenteed if they have the parts in the county.

Guess what. We’ve been caught out by this.

Any excuse from Dell means they don’t have to meet the 4 hour deadline. Oh and no compensation as it’s written in the small print.

Support increased by 90%? You must be having a laugh.

Another one – very recently. Business PC won’t turn on. (Pro support taken out). Contact Dell Support. They asked me to run a BIOS upgrade. I said I can’t. It won’t turn on. They insisted. I lied – they sent out a replacement PSU. PC now works.

Dell support is borderline horrific – almost as bad as the Dell sales.

7. henryg Says:
    July 24th, 2011 at 11:24 am

My earlier post has disappeared. What gives, are you censoring? To repeat, I have been waiting since 16 July for a response to a support request, and was given a case number (which I will not repeat) so it was received. If this is 90% better, it must have been really good before.

8. john Says:
    July 24th, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I can’t tell – stopped buying DELL as the customer service was so bad

9. Allan Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 5:29 am

Been using DELL, within a business environment for years, and have never had an issue. All the servers come with Gold Level Support and they have been excellent throughout.
    In addition the gold level support has always come included in a price that beats the crap out of HP and IBM. I used to use HP servers, but DELL (with 3 year gold support included (and DRAC)) came in thousands below an HP quote (with standard 1 year warranty and no iLO).
    I have found the DELL server to be equivalent to the HP in terms of reliability in every way and the increased support levels and decreased price put them in front of HP for me

In addition I claimed on a 3 year warranty on a home laptop. This laptop I brought in the UK, and took with me when I emigrated to Australia. The warranty had 2 months to go, and I had no problem with the warranty, transfered to australia and then claimed. Engineer came out fixed problem. In all process took 3 days. Which I didnot think was to bad considering the fact I was claiming in another country.

10. jontym123 Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 7:36 am

Always bought Dell in the past but now do self-builds.

Cheaper to build to my required spec, easier to upgrade when I want to add or change components and, best of all, I don’t have to spend half a day uninstalling and removing crapware and bloatware before the machine is usable.

11. wes Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 10:43 am

Been working with Dell servers, PC’s and laptops for the past 10 Years and although It sometimes takes abit of work jumping through the tech hoops the support i have received has always been good.

However the fiasco of the Nvidia graphics card issue that a number of manufacteurers suffered from has wasted weeks for me with them replacing known faulty MOBO’s with the same inherently faulty MOBO’s with all the finger pointing being done by the manufacturers the customers have been somewhat left out in the cold from my experience

12. henryg Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 6:32 pm

OK, BIG KUDOS/HOMAGE to Dell!!

They have finally replied, and agreed to an out of (normal) warranty repair to my laptop which has one of the faulty nVidia graphics chips from a few years ago. And guarantee the replacement part for 5 years from original purchase!

13. Tim Griffin Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Thanks again for accommodating the early morning briefing Tim – hellishly early, I agree, but I really enjoyed the conversation. We look forward to keeping you and your readers posted on Dell’s customer service progress and improvements over the coming quarters. Our team will also be following up to resolve any outstanding issues raised by our customers in response to the article. A special thanks to all of you who took time to comment – good or bad – we appreciate the feedback and are acting on it.

14. AnonyMoose Says:
    July 26th, 2011 at 12:03 pm

More like 86% if you ask me to be honest.

15. Iain Says:
    July 27th, 2011 at 12:27 am

Just as an update. I commented above about how working for a Electronics retailer I deal with Dell a good bit.

Another issue with Dell repairs from a day or two ago, although a different case- Dell netbook came back with the plastic chipped which it wasn’t when it went away. Unfortunately we’ve no proof and Dell claimed it was chipped when they received it (I wouldn’t surprise me if it was the courier again).

This has become such a problem we are having to write off a decent camera to document all items going to Dell for repair.

Kudos to Tim Griffin for replying though.

16. henryg Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 9:55 am

And an update from me too, as a Dell engineer is coming to fix my laptop on-site next week. Hurrah.

I hope they change the full motherboard, as an overheating graphics chip cannot have been good for other components.

17. gindylow Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 3:43 pm

The Whole Nvidia on motherboard gpu overheating issues are a nightmare in Europe, for Dell, HP and others.

Nvidia produced entire waves of faulty GPU’s both on mobo and discrete, which has serious faults from day 1.

In the U.S. these were handled by class actions suits resulting in swap-outs for all affected parts even outside of the warranty.

Europe dragging heals as ever gets no such cover and Dell and others continue to look the otherway without the weight of a European Class action to support end uders and repair shops.

In Dell’s case they almost always quote €300 – €350 for a fix, which makes it economically unsound in most cases.

I avoid all Nvidia cards now on any machine.

18. gindylow Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I contacted Dell less than a month ago for a replacement part for a Power Switch located next to the hinge of a very recent laptop.

Quoting the part number was met with denial on the terrible quality VOIP line to the other side of the planet.

I even have an email from the support tech in question trying to sell me the screen cable, and denying my part existed.

I simply can not believe Michael Dell allowed accountants to destroy his company.

I have said over and over again as part of a move toward sustainability ALL electrical goods sold in Europe should be Minimum 5 Year parts and labour warranty BY LAW.

Accountants destroy companies, lives and planets… ;-(

19. Alex Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I phoned to order an XPS 8300 desktop and new the spec I wanted, but needed to confirm the correct graphics card as I had 2 vga screens that were ok and that I wanted to use. I explained that they were to act as one screen and that if I opened a window on one I wanted to be able to get hold of an edge and drag it across to cover both screens. To cut a long story short he sold me a card that would not work in the way he said. I spoke to their tech support who told me to buy a DVI to VGA converter which I did. When I tried to plug it in it was very difficult, the reason was because it is a DVI-D socket on the Graphics card (which has no Vga signal) and the converter is a DVI-I which has VGA signal. Any way by trying to plug it in, it marked the DVI-D socket where there were no holes to accomodate the converter, consequently after many emails and phone calls their best offer was a new card, that I would have to pay £100.00 for, as they could not use my card again as it was marked. So I have now replaced the card from else where. All because the sales person could not get it right and the tech support gave me incorrect information I am out of pocket and have had a lot of hassel. would you say that was 90% support, I would not.

20. Haajee Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I would say YES
    I purchased Dell laptop and was sick when received. They called why I was not using it or has not called them.
    And they follow on to help.
    Resolved some problems on line and deputed a Techie from local area.

21. Lorribot Says:
    July 28th, 2011 at 8:01 pm

If you go from 5% satisfied to 9% satisfied that 90% improvement doesn’t seem so good.

I deal with Dell for desktops, laptops and storage and to be honest they fall down in so many ways.

If you do everything their way in the correct manner it works quite well unfortunately it will take you about 10 support calls to find out what that way is. I’ve lost count of the account managers we have had, in fact I couldn’t tell you who our current one is, not that they do anything just palm us off to someone else or to the web pages and we spend several £100K each year with them so if they treat us bad just think how they will treat someone spending £300 on a laptop.

Their customer service is rubbish, always have been and always will, it is a cultural thing, they just can’t do it properly.

22. Mtatin Says:
    July 29th, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Purchased a Dell laptop 2 years ago with ALL warranties.Called Dell tech support on July 19th to ask for help as my laptop was having trouble connecting to the internet. The Dell representative in India spent over 6 hours “checking” my laptop and router only to misdiagnose it as a router issue. (We had other computers using the same router that had been working just fine).Another 2-3 hours later a different representative diagnosed a network card problem and I asked for the new card to be put in on July 25th(6 days later). He agreedto schedule s service representative for the 25th. I also asked him to reset my home network settings so the other computers at myhome could continue to function but he was unable to do this saying he did not have the training.On the morning of July 25th I called to ask when the service technician was arriving but was informed that there was no record of the request.I was told I would have to wait an additional 2-5 days to get the new card fixed.During my calls I repeatedly asked to speak to a Dell representative in the US but was constantly denied access to a US support person unless I wanted to pay extra.I finally asked Dell to send me a replacement card ( I was told it will only be a refurbished one) and that I would try and fix it myself.I bought my Dell system and all the warranties offered in good faith but feel I have been scammed.My “top of the line” machine broke dowon barely 2 years after the purchase. I spent over $3200 for the system and all the warranties but was only allowed access to some extremely incompetent and ill-trained personnel in their Indian office. I have been denied access to any US Dell agents unless I pay even more for that. Dell refused to schedule a service technician even though I paid for the warranty for this and gave them enough time to schedule one.Dell has taken my money but not delivered when I needed. And they have wasted more than 12 hours of my time on phone calls that did nothing to resolve the issue. This company is a farce and needs to shut down if it cannot deliver instead of duping innocent consumers.
    I have been a loyal Dell customer for over 10 years, and have purchased about 6 Dell computers(WITH warranties) for use by my immediate family, I even own Dell stock…! NO MORE.

23. wittgenfrog Says:
    August 1st, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Like many I’ve been dealing with Dell professionally man & boy (well, you know…) in Business environments since the Mid 1990’s.

I have always had 100% satisfaction from their kit which in terms of hundreds of Servers and many thousands of PCs, laptops etc has been highly reliable.

Service-wise in business you tend to have NBD as the baseline, and Dell have always delivered for me, not only turning out, but being on-time, and fixing without quibbles.

Critical infrastructure hardware I have always duplicated: 4 hours downtime can be 3hrs 50 minutes too much in some enviromnments. Nonetheless (in London) the 4 hour turnout was always on-time and well-equipped.

Sounds like a peon of praise, but I’m just another IT guy who’s happy with a supplier.
    I believe that their domestic services leave a bit to be desired though….

24. Ed Says:
    August 1st, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Two words for Dells support…SHOCKING & APPALLING.

Tim Griffin must have his head stuck firmly up his own orifice if he believes the crap he’s spouting.

Outsourcing support to India is DETRIMENTAL to your customers Timmy. I am currently at breaking point with this useless lot and unless you call a premium rate line (the scourge of customer service)you don’t get to speak to anyone except the “tech” people in….you guessed it…ANYWHERE BUT THE UK. 6 weeks i’ve been waiting for Next Business Day service…six stressful, arduous, mind bogglingly frustrating weeks. Timmy..why don’t you call the company “Dellhi” as that’s where all your bloody support staff are…great if you’re in India..BUT I AM NOT. Jeez, i have gone from thinking Dell is an ok company (we have 3 laptops from Dell) to hating them with a fury that i’ve never felt before.

25. gindylow Says:
    August 2nd, 2011 at 5:34 pm

ROFL @ renaming to Delhi…

26. KayJay Says:
    August 3rd, 2011 at 11:52 am

Bought a Studio laptop 15 months ago for a grand. Along with many others, according to reports on the net, it failed due to heat problems. Despite being IT Manager at a (now ex) Dell-only site, our Account Manager didn’t want to know and I refused to pay someone at Tech Support to tell me that my laptop can’t even complete the inbuilt test programs. Result: Small Claims Court – I refuse to be messed around by a supplier like this!

27. David Says:
    August 29th, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’ve bought many dell laptops over the last 8 years. But I’ve stopped now. My kids (5 off) and the rest of my family have stopped too. Reason? The complete lack of customer service. It used to be OK, but now it stinks. 90% increase? You’re kidding.

28. David Thomas Says:
    October 2nd, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Before buying another Dell laptop (mini Latitude this time) I needed to be sure that I can turn off tap to click on the Latitude 2120 laptop. Dozy sod in India said “no -it’s a netbook”. When I queried this some more he backed down and admitted he didn’t have the answer.

WHAT DAMNED USE IS INCOMPETENT SERVICE LIKE THAT?

HP here I come ….

29. Sylvia Watson Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I made the mistake of buying a Dell colour laser printer. Out of the box ( on October 5th), it threw up an error code. When investigated the error code just said contact technical support. I used the dell support website, only to get a reply saying we don’t support printers on-line – phone the chargeable number.
    OK, so now it’s 10th October. A helpdesk tech says we’ll replace the printer, send me a copy of your invoice. Invoice scanned and sent while still on the phone. It’ll be about a week says tech. We’ll arrange collection of the faulty one on 21st. Another day off work on 21st – No deivery, no collection. Next day off was yesterday – 27th October. Phoned again ( chargeable number), to be told it was due delivery today. Person I spoke to even gave me a tracking number but wasn’t sure who thecarrier was !! Ten mins after, phone call asking me to confirm address. Guess what, I’ve taken another day off and nothing has arrived. Just spent another 15 mins on the chargeable number to not be any further forward.
    I guess once I’ve paid for a new printer in phone charges I might get one. Other than that I’m never buying another Dell product as long as I live.

30. Nick Says:
    December 3rd, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Bought a 1500£ dell alienware from them (next business day warranty). The laptop is faulty, and the motherboard broke in 2 weeks time. After being lied to, and being “sent” technicians that never arrived (this was going on for 10 days), they actually told me that the part would be available in 15 days time and in the mean time they would sent a temporary motherboard replacement. 5 days and many more lies later still nothing…What a bunch of liars and time wasters. I cant believe i had to take days off to wait for their elusive technicians… Useless.

31. Sad Says:
    December 7th, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Ordered from Dell Outlet the other day and am having problems already. First I got a order receipt but couldn’y track my order on my account. Phoned them and they said my CC payment failed. Phoned bank and no issue there. Phoned Dell back and they then said, after transferring me to India, wales and god knows where else, that it was actually a problem their end, a gateway or something. Someone called me back later to say payment had been processed so no problem any more. A day later, still stuck on processing and I haven’t the energy or willpower to go through their phone system again. If this is 90% better service I shudder to think how bad they were before.

32. Sad Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 4:03 pm

So, my order is now in Pre-production. It was a laptop bought from the Outlet so should be already built and ready to go. But no. 2 weeks apparently until they can manage to lift the box from the shelf into the back of a van and deliver it to me. I did get a call from some poor girl in Manila phillipines telling me she’d try and expedite it but that hasn’t happened so far. Dell have to be the worst company I have dealt with, avoid if you can.

33. DellAreShyte Says:
    December 16th, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Man o man. Dell’s Indian technical support service is appalling. I’ve spent £30 on phone calls to them to get my faulty motherboard replaced under warranty. Should be next day fix, now going to be 7 days. I could go on but life’s too short. Makes me sick to the stomach. Don’t buy Dell.

34. Damian Fedor Says:
    December 17th, 2011 at 4:27 pm

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks!

35. Tristan Says:
    January 20th, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I went down the e-mail route. Took almost a month to finally get the laptop sent away to repair an LCD fault and over a month to get it back. Now that I have it back, there are Philips screwdriver marks on the bezels and it does not turn on. I informed customer service about this and still have not received a reply and have also made a complaint and heard nothing back either. A complete nightmare. Nothing is being done to fix my laptop which is still under warranty. It is now is worse shape than it was before it was sent away. At least it would turn on before.

36. Nick Says:
    March 13th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Find the phone support OK (dell workstations, laptops and poweredge servers). It’s pretty tough to get any banter going but once you get to the point of getting an engineer or parts out it seems to work pretty well.

37. James Says:
    March 14th, 2012 at 9:23 am

Once you get past the prompt screen jockeys on the helpdesk, the actual onsite support is very good. More and more these days with Dell and HP they ask rediculous questions that have nothing to do with your call. What happend to giving your serial number, confirming who your were and getting on with it. Now i get….who is the supplier of the equipment, we dont recognise that serial can you confirm the express code….we dont recognise that express code please supply something else. what else? theres nothing else. Logging calls online seems to bypass all of the stupid questions which baffles me as to how a serial number can be found online but not at the call centre.

38. Patrick Carter Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I had worked for Dell Tech Support for 3 years. They do have high standards. But, as a customer, when you phone for support, you need to be patient and co-operative and then, you would receive the best service. This holds good when you call any customer support.

39. fuckdellsupport Says:
    July 8th, 2012 at 2:43 pm

its not dell its hell. consumer rights mostly ignored when you ask for a fix or replacement. but it not happens everywhere. In February, I decided to invest in a dell laptop. Because of its colorful florescent finish, spec of the lap, it came with a price tag to match – nearly $7500. However, when I’m using it, I discovered it wasn’t good at all. battery backup decreases over time, adapter leaves big strike sound almost too hot to touch – while taking the issue to dell Indian support, it was really a death trap for me! the customer support wasn’t helpful. they exalt the case every time to somewhere in Bangalore. those craps won’t listen to what customer says, rather they hang-up your time to have fun and give you hell finally. Bad dell customer service costs my money. hope they will die soon.

40. Ken pierce Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 3:38 am

For home users the support is absolutely TERRIBLE. You wait on hold only to get immediately hung up on prior to speaking with the rep. The chat rep just referes you tech support link for chat where the chat queue is disable so you cannot chat with a rep. If I were Michael Dell and wanted repeat buyers and increased customer loyalty, and get my company’s brand back on track the first thing I would fix is customer service.

41. voice support Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Currently it seems like Expression Engine is the best blogging platform out there right now.
    (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

42. Sara Says:
    September 13th, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Well it is awful in France no reply to their on line response ever v expensive calls to tech support with people who are not in France trying to deal with english OS – nightmare, last prob I had to write snail mail to H/O finally got help now again going thru it all again – might be less stressful to just get hold of local techie and pay! Dell hell bof!
    Problem is buying qwerty & english OS in France or I would buy some where else

43. Antonella Says:
    November 13th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

on my second day of trying to contact Dell. Have searched the web page – which i don’t think is easy to navigate – looked at all the default problems (but mine isn’t among those) tried e-mailing but when i submit the email is goes to a ‘can’t connect to webpage’ have tried online chat same problem. Obviously tried calling – twice – but after listening to message after message of offers and advice i hung up. I also – for a laugh – called the sales number…surprise surprise someone in India answered almost immediately. I pointed out to the customer service person that amazingly if i wanted to buy, someone answered the phone straight away but as it was assistance i required i wasn’t so lucky. He apologised for the inconvenience and said he would put me through to the correct department..guess what? another 10 minutes of adverts. I have also clicked on the feedback icon and left a complaint. Not heard yet, not holding breath. Sorry for rant really frustrated. Incidentally my warranty expires on Dec 7th by the time I get through it will be too late!

44. j a skellern Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 11:27 am

I tried to buy xps 8500 on 28/11/12
    had a code for £100 off could not get past sending my payment details,enquired why and never got satisfactory reply.went elsewhere

45. Sam Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

In short – NO!

I have had a booked service call under my 5Year NBD onsite warranty, it has been 4 Working Days – 6 Days and no technicians have turned up.

It seems Dell’s service has not improved. I have an email clearly stating that their service call was booked for the 3rd of January 2013. I waited all day on that Thursday and nobody turned up, no phone call, no nothing. Chased Dell up three times that day and I was reassured that an engineer was on their way, that I am the last call on their list; however an engineer will definitely be with me but NOTHING.

The next day I got a call from a company who calls on behalf of Dell telling me that they can only book an engineer visit for the following week, I asked what the problem was, to which I get told “the engineer has family problems”. It amazes me that Dell in the UK relies on one person, whom like all of us has family problems?!

I get blackmailed by their same contractors; that I have to agree to them coming next week or they would not come at all. I disagreed with this and said I would take this up with Dell directly as this is clearly not only against the NBD on site warranty, but also against our sales contract and verbal and email contract as set out and explained by their employees.

When I call Dell directly they tell me that their contractor says that I had been swearing and abusing their technicians, hence they cancelled the call out. – Completely fabricated I ask Dell to request the call recordings which clearly show the complete opposite – me getting blackmailed by them into saving themselves of their contract with Dell.

What annoys me the most about this is that me, the customer is treated like dirt, I am battered from contractor to Dell, back and forth, nobody is responsible for honouring the sales contract and employees are out to cover their own backs.

Broken promises, broken contracts and overall poor customer service, this summarises Dell, their customer service has far from improved!

46. Emily Says:
    August 28th, 2013 at 8:15 am

I think dells customer support is horrific!
    I ordered a laptop through their UK site – they cancelled my order due to ‘verification errors’. Even worse than that, the money has gone from my account. After speaking to my bank, I was told they basically have my money. I spent hours on the phone to dell with them telling me that they haven’t got my money, but they have. Still have a cancelled order that isn’t re-booked and a lot of money lost in the process.

Thinking this is one for trading standards to look at and will be seeking legal advice over this – it’s unacceptable!

47. Paul W Says:
    September 23rd, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Absolute rubbish customer support! they block you from emailing them if your warranty is out of date, there appears to be no customer support contact and all phone numbers for dell are the rip-off 0844 numbers. Their ‘customer support’ dept is only there to help with orders. No help for customers whose laptop has failed just outside the warranty period.

48. Fred D Says:
    November 27th, 2013 at 12:23 am

Buyer Beware. 90% improvement from what -1000%? Definitely need some kind of class action against company. I am now stuck with a $400 tablet that doesn’t work with a stylus (Latitude 10 essentials)because even though their website says 30 days, contract says 21 days not counting if your Dell product takes 10 days to arrive. Worst service (next to another out-sourced company, Microsoft)I have ever experienced.

49. robert Says:
    February 23rd, 2014 at 9:50 pm

dell support is a peace of shit so is there build quality on all there computers . spent over 2000$ on a all in one and you cant upgrade its video card…. and all over the web says its discrete . discrete means removable and dell tells me other wise whos lieing i dont even think dell knows shit about whats inside they just stamp there name on it

50. robert Says:
    February 23rd, 2014 at 9:51 pm

we have a xps 2720 can any one tell me if it is upgrade able video card or not . robertking82881@live.com think you

51. Ex Dell Customer Says:
    April 17th, 2014 at 7:28 am

Dell customer service is terrible, mainly because they fail to respond to emails, complaints, anything. They’re fine initially when they can sniff your interest in a laptop etc. but after that you may as well not bother. I’ve only purchased two laptops from them so far but I doubt I’ll bother with them for anything else. The final straw was the complaints procedure where they state they will reply to you within 24 hours. Nope.