Posted on May 23rd, 2011 by Barry Collins

Glossy vs matte screens: why the PC industry’s out of touch

The following charts neatly encapsulate exactly how out of touch the PC industry is on the issue of glossy vs matte screens.

We asked PC Pro readers which type of screen they prefer. They answered as follows:

Glossy matte chartAnd this is the type of screen used on the nine ultra-value laptops from our recent Labs in issue 200:

Laptop screens chart

I could have reproduced exactly the same chart for our touchscreen PC labs in the current issue. And, of course, it’s not only the PC makers who’ve fallen in love with glossy screens: Apple customers have formed an online protest demanding that matte screens are offered as an option in the iMac line-up. Some of those Mac fans claimed that glossy screens were such a turn-off that they’d been forced to migrate to Windows just to escape the glossy lock-in.

Why do people hate glossy screens so much? Reflections are undoubtedly a major source of anguish. Speaking as someone who use a glossy screen laptop every day, I’m constantly irritated by the reflections cast across my screen by the overhead strip lighting in the office and, worse still, the sunlight making my screen near unwatchable on the train to and from the office.

And anyone who has a glossy screen on their shared family PC will surely be overly familiar with the daily routine of wiping fingerprints from the display, no matter how many times you angrily demand they don’t put their Marmite-sodden digits anywhere near the screen.

Let’s hope the PC makers wake up to the degree of dissatisfaction with glossy displays and bring back the welcome matte.

Tags: , , , ,

Posted in: Hardware

131 Responses to “ Glossy vs matte screens: why the PC industry’s out of touch ”

1. Mosh Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hear, hear! I tend to use my (matt) netbook when travelling, but was staggered when I was looking for a new laptop recently to see precisely *none* with a matt screen. Anywhere.

Is there a market for a spray-, stick- or clip-on matt screen adaptor that I’m not aware of?

2. Fred Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Glossy screens and the increasing non availability of other than ‘TV HD’ aspect ration screens. Two similar symptoms of useless market research.

3. IBrown Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 12:50 pm

My wife needed a new laptop earlier this year and the main criterion was a large non-glossy screen. We ended up getting the Dell Vostro 3700. Her parent’s now need a new laptop and I showed them my wife’s yesterday. Their response: “I want that one” and out comes the credit card. They only want it for email/browsing so the Core i3 2.1Ghz model is good enough, with 3GB memory, 360GB 7,200rpm disk, 17″ matte display, DVD writer and Win7 Pro for around 450 inc VAT and delivery. Not bad! We went via Top Cashback which is offering 10% on some Dell laptop ranged.

4. RichT Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Exactly what is the rationale behind glossy screens over matte screens? Is it that glossy screens are easier/cheaper to manufacture?

5. GW Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Thinkpad……………………………………..

6. MM Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 1:58 pm

@RichT, They are just nicer to look at, more vibrant colours, and crisp photo and video quality. finally they look more classy (in my opinion..thinking about the mbp here)
    hope this helps..

7. Tim Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:02 pm

The rationale is that glossy screens look good in shops, and that most buyers are unaware that there are two screen finishes.

This ignorance also explains why almost all 15″ laptops sell with low resolution screens fit only for netbooks and phones.

Look at all the HD TVs out there which lack sufficient pixels to display broadcast HD at its proper resolution.

8. stasi47 Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:09 pm

@GW

Thinkpads are now glossy too.
    see the new X1 model… :(

9. Firhill Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:14 pm

The rationale I’ve heard as to why glossy screens are so common is cost; it’s easier and thus cheaper to make a image look better* with glossy screens.

*better when under the right light conditions which are frankly rare.

10. Lesley Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I have eye problems and suffer from photophobia amongst other things. Glossy screens and the reflections are a nightmare.

11. Josefov Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 3:06 pm

+1 on that one, Barry. And should you succeed, could you also bring back the 4:3 screen ratio, please?
    At work we have now tens of widescreen monitors which have to be set to 4:3 resolutions to keep projectors happy.

12. Arek Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I would add laptop keyboards to the list of features that have gone downhill. I for one prefer when the layout mimicks desktop keyboards as closely as possible, especially with regard to Home/End and PgUp/PgDn key placement, as this enables me to touch type. Alas, this is a rarity these days, found probably on Dell Latitude laptops only, other brands almost look like anything goes.

May 23rd, 2011 at 3:48 pm

The equivalent of Health and Safety here in Germany have a paragraph about glossy displays. Basically an employee can claim against an employer, if they provide him with a glossy display.

14. Marc Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Setting light weight and matte screen as selection critera for a laptop results in a very small sub-set, even then my otherwise brilliant HP 5320m has a ‘piano black’, shiny screen bezel, why oh why!

15. asdf Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:10 pm

@josefov – I’m with you on the aspect ratios. Although I just don’t like widescreen at all.

I used to have a nice 21.x” NEC Multisync which I believe was a rather odd 5:4.

But once you swivelled it round to a Portrait view it was abso-frikkin-lutely perfect.

It went to the big-repair-shop-in-the-sky a few months back…

Got replaced with a 28″ Sony Widescreen and I hate it.

Oh and to get on topic…
    Glossy screens are just stupid.

16. Pattie O'Dawes Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Mosh asks whether there is an anti-glare spray on the market. I used to do the PR for a spray-on product called GlareCheq. It was very good an it may still be around. Have a look on the web.

17. Magic Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I can cope with my glass fronted MacBook at home, but they are frightful in the office. Even Lenovo have had to face the inevitable and fit 16:9 screens on the new T-series ThinkPad for cost reasons. It’s a travesty…

18. JohnAHind Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:25 pm

It has done wonders for the environment and my finances though. If I could replace my battered 8-year old Sony Vaio Z1 with anything like the same screen quality (an it is a question of decent pixel density as well as non-glossy and 4:3) I’d have done so years ago. In fact this factor is probably all that is saving me from the clutches of Apple!

19. Mikhael Michaelides Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Hmmm interesting article…

I have a Dell 24″ screen (2407 – 3rd gen) that’s about 5 years old – and it’s matte… Also my trusty old HP nc6320 (5 years old) is also matte – with a 4:3 resolution of 1400×1050 (it just predated widescreen laptops). I have been thinking of upgrading both of these, yet I’ve held back because I like their screens so much and find them much more comfortable!

Could it be because they were designed for business rather than consumer use that they had matte screens? And consumer items are made glossy?

Come to think of it my iPhone 4 – I’ve put on a matte anti-glare screen protector which makes it MUCH more comfortable to use (no reflections – especially useful in the car when using satnav!).

I recently had a look in the Apple Store at the 15″ MacBooks which have antiglare screens. Unfortunately they’re only available at the higher resolution. Why isn’t the option offered on the lower resolution – or even on the 13″ model?

My partner has a trusty Sony Vaio VGN-FZ18E) which is widescreen and glossy… Lovely screen to watch programmes on, but a nightmare to work on when it’s sunny (especially spreadsheets and small text).

Is there a way of putting an antiglare matte protector on a TFT, like you can on your phone? Slightly clunky workaround, but possible surely?

20. Christopher Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 4:56 pm

When I went into the local Curry’s to browse their selection, and asked if they had any matte screen laptops, I was old that no-one made matte screens anymore because they were obsolete and didn’t look as good as glossy screens. Glossy screens are a cheap way to cover up sub-par screen technology, and computer companies should know better…

21. Craig Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 5:16 pm

My two issues with screens of current is the matt vs glossy and the lack of decent resolutions. the difference between 1920×1080 and 1920×1200 is often several hundred pounds… Yet that extra height makes all the difference

22. Dave Burnett Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I like my 15inch 4×3 1600×1200 screen. I haven’t seen any new laptops with that size.

23. GW Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 6:12 pm

@stasi47 I know, nightmare, but the X1 isn’t really a proper thinkpad. all the full fat ones remain matte don’t they?

24. Tim Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Another vote for 4×3 here.

25. Mark Thompson Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 6:55 pm

They haven’t misread the market, they simply know not enough are willing to pay the extra £££ over the default glossy 1920×1080 option.

26. asdf Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Although it would probably invalidate any warranty, it would be simple enough to get a Matte screen and fit it.

My local PC repair shop would probably part-ex the glossy screen for a decent price if they could see it is from a brand new laptop.

As i’m sure they wouldn’t have any trouble re-selling it.

We do have to remember that PC Pro demographic is NOT your typical user of a laptop.

Lots of people like shiny things

/end_of

27. Carl R. Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 7:22 pm

hate glossy… I like to smash glossy screens =)

28. Vinit Mukund Ajgaonkar Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 8:00 pm

There are dominant companies like Samsung which supply lcd screens to almost all big computer manufacturers. Few years ago, they all decided to sell glossy displays which hide inferior quality and wider screens which have longer diagonals but a smaller screen size. Gullible customers don’t realise that a 14 inch WIDE screen has a SMALLER area than a 14 inch almost square screen. Extra width is unnecessary especially when acquired at the expense of screen height. There is a HUGE market waiting to shift to the first big PC brand which offers matte screens in 4:3 format and proudly advertises this feature of their product! Anybody listening?

29. Jeff Liitle of troy ohio Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 8:09 pm

>Dave Burnett
    That’s because no one wants a square laptop.

30. Tim Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 8:50 pm

For writing, a laptop with an e-Ink type screen would be nice.

31. Malo Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 9:28 pm

http://www.photodon.com provides anti glare film

32. Steve Jones Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 10:04 pm

“They haven’t misread the market, they simply know not enough are willing to pay the extra £££ over the default glossy 1920×1080 option”

Huh? What “extra £££” are you talking about? Why would it cost more to make a matte screen?

33. Steve Jones Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 10:06 pm

The only place a glossy screen is remotely usable is in a pitch dark room.
    Widescreen is another con trick – for a given diagonal size, less pixels are required, i.e. the AREA of the screen is smaller than a 4:3 screen. There was nothing wrong with 4:3 screens, computers are for reading things on, not watching DVDs…

34. Adam Williamson Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 10:26 pm

John A. Hind: you could replace it with…a Vaio Z. Okay, they’re now 16:9, but they’re still high resolution (1600×900 or even 1080p, at 13.3″) and matte.

35. Bepraaa Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I recently bought an Asus netbook with a matte screen…it’s a 1015PEM, look it up. Very nice.

36. Matthew Gerring Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I vastly prefer my MacBook’s glossy screen to the one on my old Powerbook G4. Way more usable in daylight.

37. Stephen Vines Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I don’t really see how it’s an issue. If there was more results to prove that the consumer didn’t want glossy screens, I may change my mind. But overall, I think the average consumer doesn’t mind a glossy screen. It’s classy and looks great for home use(which a lot of personal purchases are) I don’t think glossy screens are that much cheaper to produce.

38. Tony Blair Says:
    May 23rd, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I agree.

I’d also like to see PC manufacturers return to making beige cases and accessories. It’s a nightmare keeping black cases clean in the American SW. Also, the chrome plated plastic and artificial aluminum bling adorning nearly every recent electronic device makes things look tacky.

I’ll stop now before this turns into a diatribe against the aesthetics of the age we live in.

39. Kevin Shaum Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:19 am

Absolutely right. The matte screen was what nudged me into buying a Kindle rather than a Nook.

40. Alexandre Strube Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:21 am

I actually tend to prefer glossy, as strage as it may seem. My eyes are pretty much above the average, and the never-going stains on matte screens and even the texture of a matte screen itself is distracting enough to me. Sometimes at work I just take out my 30″ dell to use a macbook pro’s screen. Yes, I am serious, but it seems I am an exception.

41. GW Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:37 am

Agree with the 4:3 lovers. I am writing this on a Thinkpad x60s with a 4:3 1024×768 matte screen running windows 7. It is awesome. It is the perfect laptop, the only one I will ever need. Sure I can’t play Crysis, but I can play company of heroes. I’ll get a tablet, and a desktop eventually for playing games / video stuff, but this will be my laptop for the next 5 years.

42. GW Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:44 am

@Jeff Liitle of troy ohio “That’s because no one wants a square laptop.” yes they do. I do. what do you even mean “people do not want a square laptop”? think about that sentence. it is actually totally and utterly meaningless. people want a nice screen for doing stuff. if your screen is 1366 x 768 with a massive bezel top and bottom and nowhere to rest your palms because the 2 halves have to be the same size, what’s the point? why not have 1366 x 1000 or something and have more vertical pixels, less bezel and more vertical screen real estate for viewing websites? who cares if the laptop is square and not more rectangular? do you actually do into a shop and say “I want a really rectangular laptop not one of these weird square ones which can’t do what I want”.

43. FRiC Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:29 am

PC Pro is out of touch with reality. People that care about matte screens are mostly people that work with and care about computers. You forgot about the millions of home users or first-time buyers that want a shiny screen with great colors.

44. GF Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:55 am

I am using a Lemote netbook. No glossy screen here. Not only there is no glossy screen, but the hardware on the machine is fully open. Which means : no binary blob anywhere, for no device. There is no proprietary BIOS : the “BIOS” is PMON, written in C and we have the sources. So we can edit the bios, we have the sources for every device on the machine, there is NO binary driver required for anything. I’m running it under OpenBSD while it comes with Linux and Debian 6.0 works very well on it (accelerated X, etc.)

If you want to find machines with matte panels, you will find them. You are not looking enough, and you seem to be locked in the Windows world.

I will never use a machine with a proprietary BIOS or binary blobs ever from now on. Taste freedom once, you won’t even look back.

45. Lance Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:39 am

It’s just so much easier to look at a matte screen, especially with strong ambient lighting. I was really disappointed that my 13″ MBP didn’t have a matte screen as an option.

46. j noonan Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:09 am

I hate to tell you all this, but the best laptops for Windows or Mac OS are made by Apple. There is almost no feature provided by any PC maker that tops their offerings. And their trackpads are so far beyond anything in the PC world that it is ridiculous. Seriously, the best Windows laptop is a MacBook Pro.

47. Chris Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 6:37 am

What are you talking about? Not many PC monitors are glossy. It is just the mac rubbish and laptop junk screens that are glossy. And you cannot tell me that they are more numerous than PC desktops.

48. miahi Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:03 am

I had to buy a laptop two months ago, and finding one without glossy screen was a nightmare. First, many online dealers do not have a filter for matte/shiny display; second, some of them do not say what kind of display is that at all (even resolution is hard to find on some), so you have to google a lot to get some basic info. I ended up paying 30% more than I wanted to on a Lenovo T510. I think all budget laptops have glossy screens because they have a better contrast and color output, with just a small small _small_ problem: you can see everything else in it! The joy of seeing your mates in this social world cannot be refused. Also you find shiny surfaces on bezels, keyboards and stuff – somebody likes shiny and told all the designers about it! I also wanted a good external display and everybody said very good things about a BenQ 24″ IPS display. Well, it comes with a shiny-shiny bezel around that wonderful IPS pane. At least it’s black and not silver. Yet.

49. Cellar Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 8:06 am

This doesn’t answer the question why the manufacturers insist on manufacturing glossy screens.

Not that this is the only question I have for laptop makers. Why so many touchpads (”with mooltietouch!”) when trackpoints are far better to get work done. Why keyboards are optimised for two finger typing like by having windows keys I never ever use that take up valuable real-estate–give me a larger ctrl and alt and shuffle windows and menu under fn-ctrl and fn-alt. Why on such a crowded keyboard the right shift ends up being immense–add a key there and call it compose, some of us need accents. Why the escape key is so small–I use it about as often as the enter key. And so on, and so forth.

In short, laptops, even supposedly enterprise-y ones, are optimised to part the great unwashed from their dosh through “ooh shiny!” but not so much for the touch-typing professional.

Get me a better keyboard and get me a matte 3qi-type screen in 4:3. I’m not using a laptop for the moovees, I’m busy writing code. Or mouthing off comments on random websites. But I digress.

50. Cyrille Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 8:46 am

Your readers do not represent the market. What was your sample size? This is just stirring the pot on an old debate. The market would adapt if most people demanded matte screens.

51. Josefov Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:02 am

@FRiC

‘PC Pro is out of touch with reality. People that care about matte screens are mostly people that work with and care about computers.’

ROTFL :D

So who, do you think, are the PCPro readers? And don’t you suppose that ‘people who work with and care about computers’ should actually know better? Who should make market demands – me, who spend 10-12 hours in front of the screen every day or Miss Muriel Harding (86) who once a week checks for emails from her grandson in Australia?

52. adin2001uk Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:06 am

For all those asking about the rationale behind glossy screens, its all down to contrast. reflective screens make the contrast seem better…basically its like polishing a turd. Also its correct about shiny things attract peoples eyes.

53. adam Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:08 am

@Chris: laptops have been outselling desktops for six years or more. http://www.slashgear.com/tablets-to-surpass-desktop-sales-by-2015-analyst-predicts-1790370/

54. Ferodynamics Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:33 am

“Glossy” is simply more clear. Clarity is a good thing. So-called “non-glare” glass or plastic, often the glare problem is worse, especially if the surface isn’t flat. Glossy is flat.

55. Tom502 Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:37 am

Why are people comparing surface area of screens?
    They don’t claim that widescreen are the same size as 4:3. Infact they always explicitly say x” Widescreen so as far as I’m concerned that’s a null argument.
    As for the matte vs glossy – I *chose* glossy a couple of years ago when I bought my Ideapad s10e and I think it’s brilliant. I can’t use it outside on a bright day granted but I’d like to see you try and use a matte screen on a bright day.
    However for my desktop I prefer a matte or for a normal sized laptop I’d prefer a matte really… My point is glossy screens aren’t that bad.

56. mr_chips Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:46 am

Add me to the list of people who prefer a matt full height screen. 16:9 is fine for TV but not on a computer. My Toshiba Regza TV even has a matt screen. The colours and picture are excellent. Glossy is not needed in any way shape or form. It looks pretty when the panels are off but that is the only benefit really.
    I like the German equivalent of Health and Safety in the workplace. Hope it catches on here but I doubt it.

57. Ferodynamics Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 9:50 am

I agree with Alexandre Strube and also Chris–it’s hard to find CLEAR glossy displays here in the US. Just because you have bad eyes, don’t impose your cloudiness on the rest of us with good vision. Also I agree with the guy who wants his Home and End keys.

58. Steve Adey Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 10:03 am

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about. I have had glossy screens since the first ones came out and I love them. Also makes my software look good :-)

59. Derek Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 11:13 am

Matte screens take away that edge sharpness on Hi res. I certainly noticed the difference when I bought new monitors.

60. Jenny Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 11:39 am

Wow, you’ve touched a nerve here! My workplace got in a batch of laptops with glossy screens. The initial response from the users what to get all excited about the shiny things, but after a few days under the strip lights, they sent them back complaining of headaches and eye strain. My boss refused to accept that it was a problem until he used one himself and had to ditch his contacts for a week afterwards!

61. Paul Ockenden Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I’d rather have a QUALITY matte screen over any glossy screen. But I’d rather have any glossy screen over a crap matte one.

Most of the matte screens we see today are specialist, and good quality. But walk into one of those shops that tells 10yo PCs and monitors, and look at the horrible grainy matte screens. I for one am glad that we’ve moved on from that.

Incidentally, flat glass doesn’t have to be reflective. Go have a look round an art gallery and see their piccies framed using “museum glass”. You’ll struggle to see a reflection.

62. Lars Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Yep. Same with 4:3 aspect ratio screen. It has been impossible for years to get any.

63. jake Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Glossy is for light-contrllable environments. For example if people are complaining about glare at work… TURN THE LIGHTS DOWN. This is basic.

The matte is for being outside.

Also, the glossy type is superior for working with touch-screen sensitivity. Matte usually means less sensitivity.

64. Peter Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Lars: The 4:3 ratio is gone for good reason. You get a bonus PowerPoint inch of display size for free in the marketing specification — a 14″ 4:3 is the same screen area as a 15″ wide. To most consumers, “wide” also sounds better than “normal.” If it was called “short” vs “normal”, or “tall” vs “normal,” they’d hate it.

Normal aspect is more usable, especially in a laptop (where width dictates where it fits much more than height).

65. matt Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Amen! Glossy screens have been driving me nuts for 5 years! Of course the Mac screens are far better than the typical HP and Dell screens, as Apply puts a purple hue on them that cuts down on the glare. However, I’ve been angry that matte-finish has not even been available on the last two laptops I’ve purchased. It’s been so aggravating I’ve considered leaving the laptop near a painting site, hoping the paint overspray would create more of a matte-finish. Anyone have a solution?

66. sandy Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 5:49 pm

A third way we’re getting screwed is that most monitors now use the cheap twisted nematic technology, which have the annoying change in image brightness from top to bottom. The in-plane switching technology doesn’t have this problem, but it’s more expensive, so we don’t see it that much. And just try to figure out which it is from the specs. You can’t even figure out what the actual pixel count is from laptop sellers’ websites!

67. GW Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 8:38 pm

@peter what is the reason? why not 1366×1000 with less bezel than 1366×768 with massive bezel? what is the reason?

68. Robin White Says:
    May 24th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Barry – buy a decent Thinkpad and docking station. Plug in a Dell U2311H or U2410H (IPS non glossy screens) and you’ll be sorted. (yes there are more expensive monitors out there but bang for buck the Dell’s are great).

69. Clive Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 12:26 am

I begrudgingly paid extra to get a matte MacBookPro because I knew it was better than looking at myself for hours on the train. This whole glossy screen thing is clearly, or rather unclearly, a fad.

70. stasi47 Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 6:13 am

@GW: “if your screen is 1366 x 768 with a massive bezel top and bottom and nowhere to rest your palms because the 2 halves have to be the same size, what’s the point?”

I agree with you on unnecessity of massive bezel, yet i am choosing completely different approach from yours: let the screen just as the entire laptop be roughly the same size as the keyboard that it holds. (e.g. aspect ratio 2:1 or 21:9)
    I do not need acres of plastic (let alone heavier aluminium) to carry around.

71. SJW Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:26 am

I’m not surprised by the results of your poll. I’ve had to buy a filter to put over my laptop screen because the shiny mirror that HP fitted was unusable.

72. IBrown Says:
    May 25th, 2011 at 12:44 pm

@Jake:”if people are complaining about glare at work… TURN THE LIGHTS DOWN. This is basic.”

You can’t always do this and if you’re sat with your back to a window then the internal lighting won’t be the main cause of reflections.

73. Matt Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 7:59 am

I have to say that as a photographer I prefer the extra sharpness and ‘pop’ that comes with a gloss screen – I honestly don’t notice a problem with reflections on either my iMac, MacBook Pro or iPad – all of which have screens more than bright enough to cope with the vast majority of reflections.

74. Jon Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:45 am

Problem with this article… The reason why companies have switched to glossy is simple. People spoke with their wallets… They may complain to high heaven about glossy screens, but when they are standing in the store, comparing screens, they tend to choose the bright and shiny glossy over the matt (not as rich and saturated colors, and less contrasty). So, in the end, the manufacturers simply offered what people were paying for… fickle consumer…

75. Eamon Walshe Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:25 am

I have a glossy MBP. I put up with the reflections in bright light because when using Aperture to edit or view photographs the colour is fantastic.

76. bob04 Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

“Fred” is right when he says that we are also being forced to buy HD TV aspect monitors whether they are appropriate or not. I edit a lot of digital images and 16:9 is useless for this.

The industry is not responding to consumer needs but is imposing forced uniformity.

77. Tim Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 12:57 pm

@Paul
    I agree that anti-reflection coated glass is available, but the price is frightening in relation to a laptop. The same companies also sell “Reflection Control” glass for pictures framing, which has an etched matte finish.

My rather long winded point is that AR coatings are infeasibly expensive, and the affordable alternative is the good old matte screen. Even cheaper is the gloss screen.

@sandy
    Agreed. There is little way to tell anything about a screen from an advert. HD rather misleadingly means the lowest resolution. A numeric keypad in the picture means 16:9, and the rest is garbage. The magic phrase is WSXGA+, but even this is abused to mean 1600×9000. Full HD can also mean 1600×900, which is madness. Personally I would love to see an end to this HD nonsense. Thankfully qHD is a quarter of 1080p.

78. Mark Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

@bob04
    “I edit a lot of digital images and 16:9 is useless for this.”

Please explain why 16:9 is useless for this type of work.

I am seriously considering the 27 inch Apple iMac – which has a 16:9 ratio screen – for photo editing in particular, but also some video editing, and I honestly don’t understand this issue and why it matters.

Please bob04 (or indeed anyone?) explain the problem with 16:9.

I’m neither an IT professional or photography expert, and would much appreciate some advice on this point.

79. John Richardson Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Couldn’t agree more with this… and the sentiments expressed in the podcast.

I currently use a matte, 1600 x 1200 20″ screen on my desktop. The aspect ration will prove hard to replace.

80. PeX Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Sign the Apple Display matte petition here:

MacMatte (matte petition)

81. Neil Says:
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Just convert glossy to matt.
    Wet and dry sandpaper oughta do the trick :-P

82. Paul Says:
    May 27th, 2011 at 2:31 am

+1 on the Matte issue, but the aspect ratio issue annoys me much more.

Never mind 4:3 – this ratio was unnatural and hard on the eyes IMO. 16:10 was the perfect compromise that was designed primarily for computer work, only to be replaced with this AWFUL and restrictive 16:9.

BRING BACK 16:10 NOW!!!

83. jon honeyball Says:
    May 31st, 2011 at 5:02 am

noone has actually discussed the real difference between matte and glossy screens.

light landing on a screen will produce an effect. the question is “which effect do you prefer or dislike least?”

with a glossy screen you get a perfect reflection. But it is at the correct point of depth . ie it appears at screen-to-light depth behind the screen. The eye is extremely good at handling depth perception and is very good at working out what is in the plane of focus and what isnt.

with a matte screen, you get no reflection and no sense of depth. But the light is smeared over the screen *at the same depth as the image you are wanting to look at*.

this is extremely poor for contrast, and is much harder work for the eye to process.

my initial reaction to the first glossy screen i saw was one of dislike, simply because it was new. Now, I only buy glossy screens because they are much easier on the eye.

Exception to the rule is the heroic 30″ EIZO reference monitor which is matte, but has proper side and top shading, so almost no light lands on the matte surface, and hence there is no light smear

jon

84. geo Says:
    June 1st, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Dear Barry Collins and PCPRO: Thanks for your work. Please, can you suply the numbers of those pie chart? How many total answers, how many vote glossy, matte, etc. It’s very important to get the whole picture. Thanks very much indeed and continue with this so important topic.

85. gasstationwithoutpumps Says:
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I paid extra for a matte option on my MacBook Pro. I’d gladly pay extra for a matte option on a new iMac, but they don’t even offer it!

86. Andrew Denny Says:
    June 13th, 2011 at 8:26 am

Barry, How about creating an A-List of non-glare/matt laptops? Also, I remember in my days as a photographer one could add dulling spray to avoid shiny reflections. Are there dulling options for existing screens?

87. Dmitry Says:
    July 17th, 2011 at 2:06 am

I personally believe we live in the Grand Era Of Idiotic Design: 16:9 “for watching movies” glossy laptop screens instead of more productive matte 16:10s (10% more vertical space), huge tabbed “ribbons” instead of compact toolbars/menus and “type carefully” Help without an index in MS Office (the index was horribly mutated first in 2000-2003). Tall ugly status bars with mismatched phonts in Windows with pointless slider in the view menu, and multiple click overwrites while copying with lots of pointless info to read instead of a single button. A bit earlier, I couldn’t understand why on laptops arrow keys and page/line keys had to be so tiny and so far apart, and the Shift key so huge. Nor do I understand, off the subject, why most new cars have to have a gaping maw-like grill in front and a high box-like siluette that affect aerodynamics and stability. Maybe too many ambitious people with questionable skills are getting diplomas they should not have been, and they have to be employed, and the corporate minds are looking at the big picture from way high up and care more about their yaghts rather than minor consumer details with the motto: “most consumers are simple and have to buy into whatever is offered to them, as long as it is bright and shiny”. The result – very limited choice on the supposedly “limitless choice” capitalist market place. Bring back the reformed command economy maybe? Bummed Out Consumers of The World Unite!

88. Graham Says:
    August 31st, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I’s driving me absolutely crazy trying to find laptop with a matte screen! Manufacturers please give the consumers what they want!

89. A.K. Says:
    September 4th, 2011 at 6:10 am

I found all speculations about “vibrant colors” and “eye adjusting to gloss” off the point. When you look at the screen 8+ hours each day for years, you worry about your eyes. Glossy screens are cheaper because they don’t have to be of a good quality. If people like shiny things, good for them, but why I should suffer? I am willing to pay extra for matte and find it reasonable. Just there is a very little choice.

90. CatFrog Says:
    October 1st, 2011 at 12:44 am

Hello Barry C.
    After 6 months, maybe it’s time for an update on related news to this article? maybe there are no news but maybe… We, the majority that prefer (need!) a matte display/screen/panel (with the good old 1920×1280 res.) will approeciate it very much indeed!
    Thanks for listening!
    CatFrog

91. Harald Says:
    November 8th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I’m desperately looking for a decent laptop which is reasonably configured and not expensive. I’m only going to play older games on it. The Asus X53SV was on sale here a while back, but it had the damn glossy screen and I just loathe them, because I use my laptop in all types of environments (dark, light, sunlight, office lighting) and the glossy display is just too inflexible. Damn you industry! Give us what we want, not what you want us to have!

92. dantedog Says:
    December 8th, 2011 at 10:17 am

I just brought home a brand new Lenovo w/ 15.6 glossy screen. Used it for one day in the office and came home with bloodshot eyes and a headache starting at the back of my eyeballs and going to the back of my head from lower ear to ear..that still persists 8 hours later. I’m bringing the Lenovo glossy screen back to Best Buy tomorrow for full refund and will stick with my old HP 17″ matte screen laptop a while longer. I’m wondering is there a possible class action in all this…my eyes are still killing me and the headache is all across the back of my skull now.

93. Oliver Says:
    December 14th, 2011 at 6:53 pm

@dantedog: look into the Samsung Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z5A-S03US). It has a matte screen and looks like a good machine.

94. Gareth Says:
    December 21st, 2011 at 11:04 am

I would like to start off by saying that I am a motion graphics artist, graphic designer, and video gamer.

Personally, I actually like gloss screens. I found the comments about depth perception very true; my eyes have no problem seeing what is on my screen as opposed to what is being reflected, way behind me. I like that I have a perfect reflection as opposed to one that is spread out, and covers the whole screen [like on a matte screen.]

“…they tend to choose the bright and shiny glossy over the matte (not as rich and saturated colors, and less contrasty). … fickle consumer…”

I’m having a difficult time finding these features to be a negative thing! Many people are saying the gloss screen covers up the cheap screen technology by making it look nice. That makes sense to me, seeing as monitors are purely visual in nature… and the only thing that’s important is how they look. As far as outward aesthetics [screen off,] it is true that they look nicer sitting there, but they also increase contrast as well as color quality and crispness. And if you can make it look visually nicer while keeping the price down, I don’t see how this isn’t a win-win situation… I mean, when you take it all at face value.

There is still the issue of the underlying technology being “cheap.” No one likes an ugly circuitboard. … ;)

In defense of everyone here, the TN panels coming out left and right are valid examples of manufacturers skimping on quality. The fading/sheen as you move up and down relative to the screen is something that very, very old LCD monitors had a problem with… and I’m a little annoyed that I spent $600 on a laptop in 2011 and it still has this obnoxious problem, when the laptop I was replacing [2008] did not.

Serious failure there.

95. Gareth Says:
    December 21st, 2011 at 11:08 am

Also, I would like to add that I’m currently working on a 1680×1050 monitor — 16:10. I love this aspect ratio, and it’s a shame they did away with it! Plenty of usable widescreen space, and plenty of vertical reading space!

96. djv Says:
    January 23rd, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m sitting in class right now on this terrible Mac computer with a glossy screen. It annoyed me so much I wanted to look up why anybody in their right mind would ever want to use one. The room I’m in has a lot of natural light and the image I’m trying to work with is very dark which makes it like looking into a mirror. The worst part about all of this is that the computer is actually built into the monitor. The funny thing is that my teacher is a pro-Mac user and constantly tries to imply Macs are superior to PCs… but I just can’t see it at all, just like images on this full on piano gloss fail monitor..

97. MAT Says:
    January 25th, 2012 at 12:09 am

I HATE GLOSSY SCREENS!!!

98. Joe-B Says:
    February 25th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Glossy screens do NOT give better images. I work with glossy and matt IPS screens side by side and the images are identical. The perceived benefit of a glossy screen is nothing more than an illusion, as with glossy photoprints and glossy brochures.

99. Kevin Williams Says:
    March 26th, 2012 at 9:53 am

Yep, totally agree. This is bad design, style over function – call it what you will it needs addressing. So now we have glossy laptop screens, what else are we having to buy into?

How about no choice with screen ratios? I’m trying to not only find a replacement laptop with a Matte screen but one which also come with a slightly deeper 16:10 ratio. I don’t want 16:9, it’s unusable for work but other than Apple all laptops now come in film viewing widescreen only!

100. Joe Says:
    May 1st, 2012 at 12:42 am

Glossy pc,screens, tvs, everything looks tacky and cheap, me thinks that manufacturers do not really understand what is quality, they did once, the lunatics are now ruling the asylum. We want matte and squarer displays, that’s all.
    Get the idea in your skulls manufacurers !! Redeem yourselves from having made so much junk.

101. Mark Says:
    May 9th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

It seems that the “glossy” screen is actually a coating or cover that is overlayed ON TOP OF A REGULAR SCREEN. So people claiming glossy is cheaper to make – they actually involve more materials. If you don’t believe me, have a look around on google, there are videos where people show you how to lift off the glossy cover to convert your glossy screen into a regular screen (n.b this damages the monitor) My guess is that manufacturers find glossy screens sell better. If you go into a PC shop these days, notice how shiny all the new laptops look. It’s not about practicality or usability, it’s about sales! They realise that power users do not want to see a reflection of themselves all day long so it’s only the premium models that don’t have this annoyance. Crazy!

102. Chris Says:
    May 27th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

@Mark I think you hit the nail on the head.

103. Umit Dolap Says:
    June 12th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Recently, I bought a Dell Precision M4400 2nd hand. It has a resolution of 1920×1200 and I use it with an UltraSharp screen next to it when I’m at home. Both are matte screens and I’m glad that they are. My friends use laptops with glossy screens and I can see the difference. Glossy screens look nice, they have this “watching TV” look but when it comes to usability in different light conditions, I would take a matte screen over a glossy one any time. When it comes to buying good build computers, I’m afraid we will always have to look at the professional line of computers. Too bad…

104. John Davies Says:
    June 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I need a new laptop, but seeing very little choice in matt screens, I am going to carry on with my old matt one until the market changes. Samsung do some good matt laptops.

105. PeX Says:
    July 13th, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Matte is much better. It is a health and productivity issue. Full stop.

106. Jim Jones Says:
    July 15th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Its not the screens, its the plastic laminated polariser film sheet on the front that is glossy or matt,its just a plastic sheet. the screens are identical in function,but what a difference matte finish makes.So it does not cost any more to make one or the other.

107. Randal Says:
    July 25th, 2012 at 12:10 am

I am surprised to see how few people have noticed the massive flaw in the non-glare concept.

With glossy, when there is a glare from behind me, I can rotate the monitor a teeny bit and be rid of the thing.

Not so with matte. For the light impacts a farrrr greater area of the screen, creating a sort of fog rather than that one little glare that could be pushed aside.

On top of the matte actually creating MORE GLARE (only of a different kind), the colors are kaka comparatively, especially during the day.

Glossy: iPad, iPhone. Nobody is complaining much about those, ya know.

Where I will agree is in the manufacturers being deaf, in this case giving people a better screen (on laptops) than their own sense would request.

Strangely though, it has become impossible to find a glossy screen on an external monitor, all while 99% of laps ARE glossy. Weird people.

108. L Lopez Says:
    July 26th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve been fuming bitterly against glossy displays. Is everyone out there old enough to remember how much money we used to spend on non-reflective filters for our CRT monitors? And now that we have the opportunity of manufacturing non-reflective displays in the first instance, they make them glossy.
    We need two things:
    1) People stop buying glossy laptops
    2) Class action against manufacturers on health & safety grounds

109. Ed Murphy Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 11:37 am

I recently bought and am STILL testing various OSes and configurations(March!) on a Toshiba L750. The spec is great for a £380 laptop (Core i3, OK, but I can’t even max-out the CPU), 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, gaming graphics (1GB GF 525M) USB 3.0 etc.
    The screen is WOEFUL. One can even see the LCD matrix (solid colour areas of the screen have a pattern to them). The colours are OK, but the screen is GLOSSY and reflects EVERYTHING, which is RUBBISH. I’m an experienced IT tech, but this is my first glossy screen, and even the matte screen on my old laptop that I’m typing this on, is worthless in the sun (so I’ve had to come indoors to type this on a rare sunny morning in London). Toshiba will be answering my questions on this, or in fact won’t, because arrogant manufacturers won’t admit “we do it because it’s cheaper and we’re happy to profit from ignorance”, will they? Also the whole screen construction from the hinges upwards is flexible and plastic-y as hell. I can see a warranty / Sale Of Goods Act return happening as soon as this screen fails (and it’s likely to be the screen before the HDD for once!) You get what you pay for, I guess… Toshiba made a mistake trying to court the budget end of the market, though.

110. Ed Murphy Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh yeah, and no rotating the screen as “Randal, July 25th, 2012″ says above (useful post, Randal), as the viewing angles are PATHETIC, everything goes dark as soon as one views the screen at ANY non-direct angle. Rubbish. I intend to run it through an external monitor, luckily, but I wish the laptop was cheaper to reflect (no pun intended) this cheapness of screen (and the WiFi, LAN and Bluetooth are very cheap chipsets, too).

111. Ed Murphy Says:
    August 14th, 2012 at 11:46 am

Also, watch the film ‘Idiocracy’. The future will be like this, if we don’t stop mass ignorance and allowing the masses to be programmed by technocrats allied to salesmen (working on pure figures, not statistics filtered through a human, sensible perspective).

112. George Effendi Says:
    August 19th, 2012 at 10:55 am

I bought my HP Probook 6440b with core i3 back then in 2010,and it has a wonderful matte/anti glare display. None in my office has a laptop with a matte display and it is still the best display in a laptop I’ve experienced. I specifically choose a ‘business’ type of laptop not a ‘consumer’ one because it has a stronger/more robust construction, a MATTE display and a spill-resistant keyboard. If you want a laptop with a non-glare display you should opt a ‘business’ laptop, not a ‘consumer’ laptop. Try HP’s business laptops like their probook and elitebook series, or Dell with their Vostro or Precision series, Toshiba with their Tecra lineup, and finally Fujitsu’s Celcius series.

113. Steve K Says:
    September 2nd, 2012 at 8:08 pm

The glossy madness begun in 2006. I figured it’d be just a fad, but here we are in 2012 with still abut 95% glossy screens. Proves that the majority of consumers are idiots.

114. Robert Duran Says:
    September 13th, 2012 at 9:04 am

Typically, some consumers fail to contemplate this kind of issue in purchasing such devices. Ideally, we must set first some guidelines to stick to in purchasing some stuffs and even check out some sites to really give us some tips on what to opt for. A touch screen kiosk is indeed providing some great stuffs concerning this kind of issue.

115. Rax G Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 5:28 pm

The whole screen thing depends mainly on the matrix and the backlight.

With a well-lit real IPS it doesn’t really matter if the screen is glossy or matte.

Laptop screens do often suck. Netbooks are much less affected, because they just aren’t thinked of as something low-end.

You can just compare an iPad screen with a cheap laptop screen. Both are glossy, but the difference is easily feeled.

A 1920×1080 resolution ’somewhy’ feels better for me than a 1280×1024. Why do you guys in fact prefer smaller squares?

116. bob Says:
    October 1st, 2012 at 11:07 am

Really hate glossy screens. But what choice do we have?

117. Rene413 Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Let’s not forget about the new trend of having half sized up and down arrow keys. How stupid is that?

118. Chase Says:
    May 8th, 2013 at 4:05 am

I prefer glossy. I have a matte and glossy monitor on separate computers and no matter the quality of the matte screen I have always noticed deeper, richer colors coming from a gloss. I have no issues at all with reflection from my glossy screen and I prefer it to the matte finish 100%

119. james Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 7:30 am

Samsung Series 9

120. Svet Says:
    May 30th, 2013 at 10:09 am

I hate glossy screens. I had 2 gateways, P series and NV series, nice machines but the screen is just killing me! It is impossible to work outside or in well-lit areas

121. John Says:
    June 17th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Surely some clever person could provide a matt screen electronically.

After all, the blue windows background on the Welcome screen is matt.

Of course the colour would have to be changed to white but that shouldn’t be a problem?

John

122. Crankcase Says:
    July 30th, 2013 at 12:54 am

Not only monitors. The stupid TV manufacturers have stopped producing the superior matte screens, so it’s now all gloss. Yuck! I guess for this we can blame the idiot that was the overrated ‘genius’ called Richard Jobs. The sooner manufacturers realise that most people never fell for his mind-bending baloney, the better!

123. Crankcase Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I meant ‘Steve Jobs’ in my previous post.

124. Mike Says:
    November 9th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

My Samsung N550sereis is a matte finish.

125. Gavin Says:
    November 11th, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Can someone recommend a matt screen 17 inch laptop…I am in the market for one in the next few weeks and have searched high and low!

126. antiglare Says:
    November 29th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

It got even worse over the past few years. Anti-glare matte screens are nearly impossible to find on laptops. Although plenty on stand alone monitors. Worse, now many bezels and laptop bases are now glossy. So even if you manage to find a good angle for your display, the curved bezel surface will blind you. And now some idiot at ACER decided to put a glossy bezel around a nice anti-glare screen in the new Chromebook C720. What was he thinking. Was he thinking? Sabotage?

127. John Says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Hear hear, a voice of sanity!!
    I am in the market for a new laptop, and have been for a while now, and it HAS to have a matt screen and the only one I have found is the Sony, there may be more but I have not found them. The Sony 17″ i7 and its about £1000+ E series I think, not sure of the name right now.
    Still looking for alternatives, but I think Sony will have my business. I will buy based on being a matt screen alone, if it has a glossy screen I am not interested.
    Why are the manufacturers SO out of touch with what people want?

128. Baz Says:
    April 19th, 2014 at 1:31 am

First time I saw them I commented to the sales agent “what excellent rear view mirrors they would make in cars”.

129. TomK Says:
    June 27th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Interesting thread, I use my computer as a tool to process and edit Photography and have both kinds of screen. For text editing, emails, word processing and general use I prefer a matte screen. For editing images and video I prefer the higher contrast ratio I can achieve with a “Glossy” screen on which the final product will likely be displayed. In order to be effective in the editing process I need to control the light levels in my working environment to enable the use of the high contrast “Glossy” screen. However within my normal business environment the “matte” screen eliviates eyestrain in a normal office environment.
    Conclusion as always, there is no Panacea but rather the right horse for the right course makes sense. In an environment with multiple high level light sources a “matte” screen makes sense. Where the task is about seeing the best image quality, emulate the Cinemas and lower the light levels in the work area.

130. Conrad Says:
    July 5th, 2014 at 7:32 pm

It’s strange that laptop manufacturers, + some reviewers, don’t get that the most important features are Screen, Keyboard and Touchpad. If those are poor quality then CPU speed, hard drive capacity etc become irrelevant.

Checklist for a proper laptop:

1) Matte screen, not touch sensitive

2) Bright screen (>350 nits)

3) Adjustable screen backlight

4) Keyboard to touch-type on, that’s:
    – standard key layout
    – equally sized keys
    – Ctrl key bottom left corner
    – Enter and Backspace on right-hand outer edge
    – large Shift key on right-hand side
    – deep, firm, positive key travel
    – keyboard centered on screen
    – chiclet / “Scrabble tile” type keyboard: no way

5) Touchpad reasonably central not way off to the left of centre

6) Accurate touchpad, not too large to minimise accidental touches

7) Solid wireless connectivity which connects quickly and doesn’t drop its connection

8) 1Gbps Ethernet

9) No stickers on the screen or keyboard – keep the stickers for the display model in the store

10) Strong lid hinges and robust body

For anybody who uses a laptop for actual work instead of watching movies and browsing Facebook, I would say all the above is essential.

I hope that the rise of the tablet and smartphone will force laptop manufacturers to get back to making proper workhorse laptops.

Right now, it’s incredibly hard to find one that covers all the items in my checklist. Dell Latitude probably comes closest. Lenovo could have been good, except that its keyboard fails due to the totally dumb placement of Fn and Ctrl keys.

Buyers can do their part by refusing to buy the glossy-screened tat that you can see in stores everwhere.

131. jimmy Says:
    July 16th, 2014 at 5:54 pm

please check out the latest edgeless computer monitors at bestbuy.
    they use a sticker-type matte coat. they have very low haze value.
    when compared to my older, matte, lg tn monitor, it has much less grains or sparkles.
    the colors are vibrant and texts are really sharp. I think the matte sticker can also be
    peeled off. It’s much easier for glossy-aficionados to peel off a sticker than for matte-aficionados
    to apply a matte film themselves on a large surface.

Now hdtvs are saturated with semi-glossy screens (totaly ruins the starwars trilogy – where
    the is always a master and an apprentice, i can now see a reflected, shadowy 3rd apprentice). semi-glossy
    is really worst of both worlds! why can’t they apply the new sticker-type matte coat and allow users to peel it off themselves. please bring matte edgeless hdtv. my current lg hdtv is also matte. it is postioned 3 feet from windows and has no glare at all. i can watch it clearly on a sunny sunday morning. I do not want to watch shows in the dark – that i rather go to cinema instead. i cannot buy the current crop of semi-glossy hdtvs as they are crap.