Posted on April 14th, 2011 by Barry Collins

What’s killing your Wi-Fi? Wrapping your house in tin foil

PC Pro issue 200

On the cover of this month’s magazine (on sale today) we ask: what’s killing your Wi-Fi? Among the many answers – and solutions – you’ll find in our cover feature is one supplied by our Real World wireless expert, Paul Ockenden.

“Modern homes constructed largely of plaster board also use signal-bouncing foil coating in bathrooms and kitchens,” Paul offers as one possible reason for erratic Wi-Fi reception.

Judging by a walk past a local housing development, it’s not only kitchens and bathrooms that are being turned into giant Faraday cages – it’s the whole house.

Foil house

The picture above shows a new-build property being wrapped, from floorboards to rafters, in a material called Protect TF200 Thermo. A quick Google search for the material in question uncovers a detailed PDF explaining its many benefits, including “enhanced thermal protection” and “high tear strength”. What it doesn’t explain is the effect this material will have on radio signals such as Wi-Fi, mobile phone, or even digital radio and television reception. I sent an email to the company’s technical department two days ago, but have yet to receive a reply.

There’s one line in that PDF that should set alarm bells ringing however: “Protect TF200 Thermo provides a highly reflective yet permeable low emissivity layer.” I wouldn’t mind betting that highly reflective layer might well bounce your radio signals in an unpredictable fashion.

If owners of these brand-spanking new houses move in and discover they can’t get a reliable Wi-Fi signal in the garden, or that they can’t get a reliable 3G signal on their smartphone, that foil-like coating might well be the culprit. Conversely, it might even improve Wi-Fi signals internally by mirroring the signal.

The real issue is the new homeowners probably won’t know what’s causing their Wi-Fi woes. Unless they’ve looked at the plans in fine detail, or happened to pass by while the house was being constructed, that foil wraparound will be obscured from view by their exterior wall. Modern insulation regulations are all well and good, but is anyone even considering the effect this stuff has on radio reception?

So if you’ve moved into a modern home and are wondering what’s killing your Wi-Fi, the answer might well be the house itself. And short of tearing the walls down and starting again, there’s probably not a lot you can do about it.

Tags: , , ,

Posted in: Hardware, Random

77 Responses to “ What’s killing your Wi-Fi? Wrapping your house in tin foil ”

1. Dave Robinson Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Put your wireless router on the window ledge – of a window facing the garden; then it will work in the garden.

2. Billy Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

There is always the long shot that a cul-de-sac may well act like a wave guide. Not likely, but handy if you live at the end of the street.

3. Miles Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I take your point about Wi-Fi and mobile signals, but surley this is more than compensated for by the fact that you are shielded from the alien mind probes / government mind control rays (delete as appropriate, other conspiracies are available) Or, in the words of Homer….. “Mmmmmm, Shiny”

4. Barry Collins Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Dave – that rather assumes that (a) it’s practical to place your router on a window ledge (a risk given the condensation), and (b) that you know you’re living in a Faraday cage in the first place!

Barry Collins
    Editor

5. JF Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Will this cause more cancer as electromagnetic transmissions are bounced around more in a house?

6. Taldo Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

At least it’ll keep my neighbors out of my Wi-Fi!

7. rjr162 Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

If it keeps down the heating bills, then frankly the other stuff is of a very secondary concern. If the cost savings is high enough, you could very easily purchase a cell phone repeater if it is *that bad* in a pretty short period of time with the savings vs an older house without any high quality wrap. As for Wi-Fi outside, if you *really* want it there, the same can be done as well.

8. anon Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This is new, so people won’t know about it yet. Soon this won’t be new, and people will know about it.

It’s not rocket surgery.

9. RF GUY Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:47 pm

“reflecting” your wifi signal indoors could also wreak havoc on signal strength. It would only be helpful if the reflections were in phase, as any other out of phase multipath to the antenna is BAD.

10. Mr_Flynn Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

At last, something that will protect me from the C.I.A. mind-control program! :)

11. MS Bob Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Just because this material is shiny and silver doesn’t necessarily mean it’s metalic. The documentation speaks of it’s thermal properties. Nowhere does it mention anything about it’s electromagnetic properties. At this point any complaining about such is pure speculation. If you walked up to the building and looked closely, I’ll bet it’s a silver colored plastic with zero reflective properties and wifi and cell phone signals zip right through. But of course, that’s my pure speculation, but equally as valid.

12. Matt Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Sorry, not just new houses, they have been wrapping houses for a long time. Celotex has been around for a while and it is a double foil sided insulation board that was put on many high end houses in the 70-90’s.

13. Paul Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Barry, why don’t you buy some and create a test room and see the effects. Or better yet ask a contractor that is building a home with the stuff and see if your cell how your cell/wifi signal is effected when inside that building vs inside another that doesn’t.

14. arron Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I live in a brand new build, I am the 1st person to live in this house.

The wifi signal is terrible even with an N range router, I cant even get a decent signal from my front room to the bedroom.
    FM radio signals inside the house are very poor as well, so is my mobile phone signal, Most of the time I cant even send a text message from my phone from inside my house.

Tf200 was used all over the building in the making of this house.

15. Jerry Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Where I live, California USA, home sellers are required to disclose any caveats or defects. If a seller overlooks something, they can be (and regularly are) sued. I wonder if this will spur a whole new round of litigation (as if we don’t have enough of that here!)

16. Stephen Satchell Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 2:58 pm

For cell phones, you can purchase repeater antennas. They come in passive and active flavors. Placement of the antenna components is an art, and best done by a professional; the coax cable requires a 1/4-inch hole in the wall.

17. Halifax Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:06 pm

What about when I moved into an almost 50 year old house that kills everybody’s cell signals? Wifi is also effected, but not enough to complain about. I always just figured it was because the walls were incredibly thick (plaster on top of drywall) but I don’t really know for sure.

18. Shawn Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

It also assumes (likely incorrectly) that the glass does not have high-performance coatings applied to it. Such coatings are designed to reflect light and will affect radio transmissions in the 2.4ghz band where most wifi operates.

19. jon Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

So, this is all speculation? I didn’t see anywhere where you mentioned this was tested or backed up with proof.

20. tech3475 Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My grandparents house has bad wifi reception and that was built before WWII (although I’m not sure how much the Be box is responsible). My 2001 house however has better reception for similar distances.

21. Ted Lemon Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

The whole point of insulation is to isolate the internal and external environments. Tin foil will certainly have an extreme effect on radio signals, but six inches of dense-pack cellulose and four inches of polyisocyanurate on the outside is probably going to attenuate signals as well.

If you really want good reception outside, install an antenna under the eaves of your roof, or at the peak. If you want good cell coverage, you’re hosed. Hopefully this will help to motivate better support for WiFi VoIP in peoples’ cell phones, which is a better answer than setting up a separate microcell, as cell phone providers tend to do now.

22. Geekoid Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Barry – Dave was right, it’s trivial to put a router near a window, and it doesn’t have to be so close that condensation matters. I would wager that even though the home owner doesn’t know why he can’t get wi-fi in the garden, he will still takes the trivial steps to get it.
    Finally – shame on you for trying to generate fear when you have no facts.

23. Jonathan Wright Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:40 pm

It’s true. I built a house with my parents about 4 years ago and we used a product called Celotex for the cavity wall insulation. It’s basically expandable foam between two protective/thermal layers and then an outer layer of foil to reflect heat in/out. It’s nice and shiny and I’m pleased to say, does work very well.

However, while WiFi in the house works, mobile phone do not. Although the signals in the area aren’t great, once your in the house, you phone generally needs to be within about 6 inches of a window or you will loose all signal.

I’ve managed to bypass this with UMA on a Blackberry/Orange, but this doesn’t work for Vodafone (they don’t support UMA) so the rest of my family has been stuck poor reception.

Over the last few years in and around Cardiff especially, I’ve seen alot of buildings use this style of product and it’s a ticking time-bomb for any form of wireless connectivity. I very much doubt many people know of the risks or realise until they move in that their phones will not work.

24. Drew Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I don’t understand why you complain of not getting signal in your bedroom. Unless your AP is outside this will have no effect. This wraps the perimeter of the buidling, not individual rooms. I don’t know how much this would have an effect on anything anyway since it is nailed or stampled to a timber frame, it isn’t grounded.

25. Dave Marchant Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Even older houses used wire mesh (something like chicken wire) in the walls to bond the plaster and that also can block WiFi quite effectively. I am running 4 access points in my 1930’s house to try and get adequate cover, with them either linked by ethernet cables or powerline adaptors.

26. RJE Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

So I can take off my tin foil hat when inside allowing me to be polite and protected from the CIA brain scanning satellites. Sweet!

27. Austin Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Er… do what I did when I got fed up with dropping signals from WIFI – replaced it with LAN over power… faultless connections even over a non-capacitative extension lead. Brilliant!
    For Mobiles… use VOIP or a repeater from your mobile service provider – DO NOT use a repeater from elsewhere a £5000 fine should be one reason not to use these illegal devices…

28. Dave2 Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Nothing terribly new here except the “wrap” part. Foil-faced insulation and insulating board has been around for ages. Where I live, lots of houses are stucco (wrap the house with metal mesh, and apply a thin layer of concrete), which has much the same effect.

29. Placing on window wont help Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:11 pm

It doesn’t help. Windows also got thermal shielding which is thin metal foil.

And this is nothing new. Our building got renovated 6 years a go. And at that point we found out exactly what the article says. Walls and windows are tempest protected. I have passive repeater to allow singnals to pass through.

30. scott Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Builders have been using numerous types of vapor barriers for years ranging from polyethylene sheeting, to Tyvek [ www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/products/residential/resi_homewrap.html], mylar [ http://www.ehow.com/how_7611955_do-yourself-mylar-reflective-insulation.html ] and even aluminum foil skinned foam insulation.

I don’t know if this is some kind of new wonder material or just a re packaging/re-branding of older technology…

31. Martin Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:34 pm

@Halifax (#17) – plaster might have been on top of metallic mesh, generally used at external corners, but possibly more extensive if the underlying surface structure was a bit flaky. Maybe it also has proper solid walls instead of today’s kleenex ‘n spit internal construction.

32. Interested USer Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Wired networks were always better, and it looks like they will be better again.

33. Tim Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:45 pm

@Austin Re : Powerline LANs

“DO NOT use a repeater from elsewhere a £5000 fine should be one reason not to use these illegal devices…”

Alas all the tests of power-line ethernet devices i’ve seen (HomePlug/DS2) indicate they are illegal too – although nothing is being done yet despite large amounts of data showing they are. The issue is not just one effecting amateur radio operators, as often portrayed, and was even the subject of a recent report posted by the BBC with regard to broadcast interference.

That said, in this case the isolated effect of any cladding/structure (if it exists to any degree) would actually help your neighbours :)

34. Jason Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

This is why I live in a tent and just run an extension lead from the house- although I always keep my tinfoil hat on to stop the evil thoughts [and keep my head warm].

35. Richard Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Would be nice if it reduced electromagnetic interference emanating from the houses.

36. Roland Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Putting a router near a window won’t help. Thermopane (dual-pane) windows have a transparent metal film that reflects infrared. So it’s a complete faraday cage.

37. Brent Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I’ve heard that California is going to mandate low-e metallized automobile window glass. No more cell phones while driving?

38. John Hardin Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I _want_ my house walls to block IR and to be a faraday cage.

If you want wifi in your yard, put an AP in your attic.

39. Brannon Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 6:00 pm

This insulation is to help houses in the desert conserve energy for colling. Your average home in the US wont have it.

40. WilliamW Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Barry, Dave
    I have a croft house built of granite – just as tough for rf as Al foil backed insulation batts. The only way I can get wifi to the nearby byre is with a wifi relay sitting on the kitchen window ledge. Outer Hebrides climate + nearby kettle for endless cups of tea = lots of damp, but so far (after 3 years) no problems!

41. Alejo Hausner Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

“I sent an email to the company’s technical department two days ago, but have yet to receive a reply.”

Maybe the shielding in your house blocked the email!

42. Dave Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

If wi-fi signal poor when using main BT socket, try using any of your secondary sockets (or set one up!).

This sometimes increases your wi-fi signel markedly at the points you need them.

43. Greemble Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 7:01 pm

@John Hardin
    I agree – especially with the blocking of IR. Really hate to live in a house with walls that didn’t stop light getting through ;-)

44. John Ceglarek Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Radiant barrier and similar reflective barriers block energy in the infrared range of the electro-magnetic spectrum. Cellphones and WiFi operate in the radio range of th electro-magnetic spectrum. There is no overlap between radio and infrared in the spectrum so radiant barriers do not have any impact on various forms of communication reception.

45. Paul M Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I though 802.11n actually made use of reflected signals?

46. Mike Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 9:01 pm

You are obviously ignorant to building construction and wireless signal basics. First the material is a required moisture barrier for brick construction and is a permeable to air. As such, there isn’t a metal coating as that would not be vapor permeable. What you are seeing is silver color option (among others). Importantly, from the doc you linked to:
    “Composition, manufacture
    Flexible sheet of polypropylene strands randomly spun-bonded together” Not metal!
    “Appearance
    Range of colours with non-reflective embossed and textured surface” Non reflective!
    The brick, wood, insulation, and drywall would cause orders of magnitude more signal attenuation than this plastic sheet.
    You should have googled some basics before writing this piece.

47. Mike Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Look at wrong spec sheet. Please retract my previous comment. Sorry.

48. Statto Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 9:57 pm

By the way, the inSSIDer tool won’t work with a wireless router.

49. Strainge.... Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Ummm….. It’s the back of standard R19 insulation.. It doesn’t really affect wireless signals (or any signals) above 635MHz…

50. KBart Says:
    April 14th, 2011 at 10:05 pm

That’s because they’re inside their wrapped building and can’t, for some reason, get your email on their wi-fi.

51. Jim Gribbin Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 12:15 am

I sell real estate now, but used to work in electronics.

I see a lot of newer construction homes that have problems with WiFi & cellphone signals.

In addition to the vapor barriers that seem to attenuate signals, much of the new “low E” glass is made with a glass/metal composite. Much like the lead crystal we used to get. No, the windows don’t have lead, but they do have metals mixed into the glass.

I have seem some success with passive repeaters like we used to use with television. Couple 2 antennas together. One on the outside of the building, one on the inside.

Doesn’t do a whole lot, but it’s cheap and sometimes you don’t need much to get over the hump.

52. Walter Jeffries Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 12:25 am

I’m way ahead of you tin foil hattists! My house has a tin foil hat! Check out:

Since the foil is on the outside we have no trouble with WiFi interference for our computers which are all inside the house. No problems with reflection and the signal goes right through the concrete walls, interestingly.

53. Alistair Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 5:30 am

I looked at a new build flat – not sure about foil lining, but all internal walls were plasterboard covered metal frame system, and likely outer walls had this on inside – the only mobile signal was against windows, preferably with them open. The estate agent said, “no problem, you can divert your mobile to the landline when you get in” (!!!) and promptly placed her mobile on the window cill… The property was a non-starter.

54. Chris Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 6:44 am

Probably anybody buying a modern house built with these modern materials already has wired internet in every room and can place a WAP in a few locations. The benefit of living in a Faraday cage is you don’t have everyone else’s wifi (and microwave oven) signals intruding and interfering with yours. So, this seems more like a solution in search of a problem to me.

55. Mike Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 6:54 am

CAT 5 and use a landline phone, it that easy!

April 15th, 2011 at 7:13 am

If you are building a new house, just put Cat 6 / 7 in every room, with a patch panel centrally located. Then you don’t need to microwave your family, you will get better network performance, more security.

I’ve always had wired networks and they were great. The house we bought last year doesn’t have any cabling and I haven’t the time or expertise to do it myself – and I’d need to recable the whole house – so I am stuck with wi-fi, which is patchy and, although we have 802.11n equipment, slow.

I keep thinking about laying a cable from the router down to my office, so at least there I have a stable network connection.

The house? Built in 1971 and has pretty much no insulation. Re-wiring the kitchen and putting in a new induction hob severly affected the signal as well.

April 15th, 2011 at 7:24 am

Forgot to say, if Wi-Fi in the garden is so important, put an IP-65 or IP-69 compliant router up under the eaves…

58. Noob Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 7:57 am

@Dave Robinson…

But, what if one doesn’t have a garden?

59. Dave Robinson Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 9:32 am

My “Window Ledges” comment (see top) provoked some interesting responses, to which I would add:
    (1) Condensation: buy a dehumidifier; I have one and it is very effective.
    (2) Thermal Glass: I believe that the coatings are designed to reflect Infra-Red radiation (wavelength: appx. 1 – 15 microns) whereas the approximate wavelength of WiFi is either 12.5 cm or 6 cm (12,500 microns or 6,000 microns). This implies that these coatings are going to have very little effect on WiFi.
    (3) Faraday Cage: this blocks static electricity, but to block electro-magnetic radiation requires good electrical bonding throughout the metal ‘cage’ and that the metal is earthed. Furthermore, any cables that pass through the ‘cage’ require filters to block the passage of any ‘leakage’.
    (4) Wire Mesh: will allow a significant amount of EM waves to pass unless the mesh-size is significantly less than half the wavelength. For WiFi, the wavelengths are about 12.5 cm and 6 cm, so chicken-wire will not completely block this, especially the 5 GHz signal.

60. Petri Sallinen Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 10:53 am

I just build a house with this kind of reflective vaporbarrier and four-glass windows with double selective layers and surely there is no field inside house anymore. This is not a new problem though, same thing happens with heavily reinforced concrete walls and off course bombshelters (In Finland such things must be built if 600m2 living area is exceeded). Often this problem can be helped with passive antenna connected with cable to another passive antenna inside the faraday cage. It doesnt work well always, but significantly strengthens the field inside. If it doesnt help, then the repeater(amplifier) is the only way to solve the problem

61. Jeff Schwandt Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I discovered that the “chicken wire” lathe used under Coquina exteriors and 3M window film also had the same affect on my ClearWire reception. The only spot I could get reception was in the Bonus room closet, which was under the roof, not behind an exterior wall.

62. pmss68 Says:
    April 15th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Ahem…http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Foil-450mm-75m-establishment/dp/B003MAEDNA/ref=pd_cp_kh_1 – That’s the one you need

63. Petey Says:
    April 18th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Of course, when the next big CME from the sun hits you might be glad to not have all your ‘tech fried.

64. Tasha Says:
    April 19th, 2011 at 4:45 am

Here in the US, houses that are coated in Stucco have a wiremesh that holds up the Stucco. So many suburban houses built in the late 40’s – now also could have a Faraday cage effect. Eventually people will do stuff like place outdoor antennas to boost their WiFi and Cellular signals.

65. Judge_d Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:40 am

Clearly the author of the piece knows little or nothing about house building, thermal insulation, or the various types of insulation materials available. Oddly enough, my wireless router manual contains no information on how much heat the unit radiates and the required insulation needed to compensate. Who’s have thunk it eh?

66. FibreGuy Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 8:15 am

Very helpful article Barry – foil-backed plaster board is indeed very effective at blocking wifi signals!

Another factor to consider is K-Glass, the type of window glazing that has a metallic film bonded to it to reduce heat loss in winter (and reflect heat in summer)

67. PhilP Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 10:13 am

Of greater consequence is the meodern practice of using a corrugated metal before pouring a concrete screed for upper floors of buildings.. being under a ‘corrugated tin roof’ has a much greater effect.
    Many people put the wireless router on the floor, against a wall, in a corner etc. then push a computer tower with a stub aerial against another wall, probably right against the power sockets and wonder why it doesn’t work very well!
    Sitting the computer tower on the desk, with the router on top of it means you can also see when / how often your Broadband goes down.

68. Tim Regester Says:
    April 21st, 2011 at 12:02 pm

It isn’t merely new build houses that are affected, extensions use the same thermal material.

Anyone in a timber framed property (esp refurbished/restored) may find that the modern eqivalent of lathe and plaster is a metal mesh (with a lozenge pattern) set between internal and external timbers.

The old adage of wired where you can and wireless where you can’t may turn out to be never more true.

69. Paul Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 12:41 am

Has anybody looked at the Gas Warm Specification of the the 1980’s onwards, where powdered volcanic rock was used to make the insulation used in the wall cavities.
    This also plays havoc with 3G signals and certain routers supplied by Virginmedia, Especially the VMDG280 & 480.

70. Gary Says:
    April 22nd, 2011 at 9:17 pm

The material shown in the picture is unlikely to cause a problem. It is a fairly standard breathable membrane with a VERY thin coating of aluminium (the metal is evaporated on).
    The insulation materials which do cause problems are the multi layer foiled membrane/blankets. Very popular in refurbishments and loft conversions, I’ve known houses go from perfectly ok mobile reception indoors to zero reception once the multi-foil is installed.

71. Whathouse Says:
    May 6th, 2011 at 10:04 am

I’d like to see a controlled experiment on this! Let’s cover the room in tinfoil and test it :) One point to make though, is that your neighbours are likely to call the police cos they will think you’ve got an indoor grow operation going xD

72. Home Insulation Says:
    July 12th, 2012 at 2:16 pm

This is the sort of thing that people don’t necessarily consider when it comes to insulating their property. As technology marches on, it will be important for surveyors and insulation firms to take this sort of thing into account.

73. Danny Says:
    July 21st, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Building material is very important but you can just buy a few cheap repeaters in order to fix this. As long as you are positioning the router well and configuring it properly , material shouldn’t affect it that much.

74. my site Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Good day! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have got here on this post. I can be coming back to your weblog for more soon.

75. David Lewis Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Just get some cat 5 run through the walls in to rooms Simple

76. mili Says:
    June 10th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

3G bonded networks

onded 3G from Prodec Networks provided him with a resilient fail-over internet solution allowing his business to continue as normal!

77. Free Forge Of Empires Hack Says:
    April 19th, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Once your neighbors get a head start it will be vdry difficult to catch up
    to them. My favorite thing to do is start a game in a new world, and wreak havoc oon all the new players until they learn how tto play the game better.

There is nothing saying you need to play with the game’s default settings.