Posted on February 9th, 2011 by Barry Collins

Can we run PC Pro on Ubuntu?

white blank book brochureOn Thursday PC Pro is going to put its money where its mouth is. To coincide with the release of the new edition of PC Pro – which features our Ultimate Guide to Ubuntu on the front cover – we’re going to attempt to run the magazine and website exclusively on Ubuntu-based PCs*.

You can follow our live blog on running PC Pro on Ubuntu here

From 8am tomorrow, when the news team clock-in to bring you the early morning website news, to the time we switch off the last PC late in the evening, there won’t be a single blang of that Windows jingle heard here at PC Pro HQ.

Why? Over the past year we’ve been won over by the maturity, reliability and sheer quality of Ubuntu. Our recent Windows vs Ubuntu feature extolled the virtues of the Linux OS for business users, and the feature that goes on sale tomorrow reveals just how easy it is to install, configure and even run everyday Windows software on the cost-free OS.

So whenever PC Pro staff send an email tomorrow it shall come from the Evolution mail client or browser-based Outlook Web Access; whenever they write an article they shall do so in the bundled OpenOffice; whenever they edit a photo for the website, they shall crop and tweak in The Gimp rather than Photoshop or Paint.Net.

In other words, we shall be putting our business on the line for a day – and letting you know how we get on (warts and all) with a live blog throughout the day and regular updates on our Twitter account, using the #ubuntupro hashtag.

Now to explain that little disclaimer asterisk at the end of the first paragraph. While we’re going to make every effort to commit as fully as we can to our Ubuntu experiment, there are simply some business-critical applications that we can’t run on Linux (at least, not for a day’s experiment). Our production staff and designers use Macs to lay out the magazine with Adobe InDesign, for example, which can’t be transferred to Ubuntu. Short of sending them to the pub for the day, there’s nothing we can do but allow them to continue working as normal.

Likewise, our reviews team may need to test Windows applications, or devices with Windows drivers, which they obviously can’t do in Ubuntu (using the WINE emulator could potentially harm performance, which wouldn’t be a fair test). So they too shall be a granted an exception, strictly for reviewing purposes only. They will still be running Ubuntu on their desktops for writing copy, updating the website and all their other day-to-day duties.

So join us tomorrow on the blog to find out how we get on, and follow our progress on Twitter, using the #ubuntupro hashtag.

Tags: ,

Posted in: Software

63 Responses to “ Can we run PC Pro on Ubuntu? ”

1. Lee Jordan Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Can’t wait to hear about this on the podcast (recorded using Ubuntu I assume) :)
    Lee

2. Ummar Mahroof Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 11:53 am

One day! Why not a week? what prep was done for this e.g. training or like any useful keyboard shortcuts handed out. Although I dont work in the design world and never understood the reason why designers feel they have to use Macs for Indesign which works perfectly fine on Windows and probably on VM. I get the feeling like maybe you guys have some vocal opposition from the design guys.

3. Cyberindie Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I hope its a short lived experiment. If the mag slowly switches over to being Ubuntu Pro and leaving Windows behind I’ll be switching to another mag! There’s plenty of Ubuntu dedicated magazines for those wanting Ubuntu

4. GoodDoc Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

While this is a somewhat interesting exercise don’t fixate on the tools. Worry about the fact that I have to go to WH Smith to get a copy of PC Pro but I can download the Economist directly on my iPad. I am a technology fan but the economist is the only publication I subscribe to, and one of the big reasons is because of the e-version of the publication.

I want an tablet/eReader version of PC Pro before I want an version of PC Pro produced using only open source operating systems.

PC Pro, you’re holding it wrong!

5. hpoom Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Does this mean we will see more Linux articles in PC Pro and less on Windows. It is nice to see more Mac stuff in PC Pro over the last year, now would be nice to see more on Linux. I am a multi-platform user that touches OS X and Linux every day (very little windows) would be nice to see PC Pro change to be aligned more to today’s PC consumers.

6. Cyberindie Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 1:06 pm

@hproom

If you rarely use Windows why do you not buy a Mac or Linux mag? Pc Pro is currently more Windows based with a little bit of Mac – though sounds like it will be switching to more Linux based and losing me as a subscriber!

7. Barry Collins Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for the comments. To address a few of the points made:

Cyberindie – this is the first time in PC Pro’s 17-year history we’ve led with a Linux cover, and we’re not about to throw our lot in with Ubuntu to the exclusion of Windows. We’re just covering the alternatives, which are becoming increasingly sophisticated. I urge you to at least give Ubuntu a go.

GoodDoc – we’re actively exploring our options for the iPad and tablet/digital publishing as a whole. This is still a nascent, extremely fast-moving market and we want to make sure we’re making the right moves into digital publishing. You can already get PC Pro on the iPad, however, via the Zinio app.

hpoom – this is the second major feature we’ve run on Ubuntu in the past six months, plus we have a monthly open-source column in Real World computing. We’ve always kept out eye on the Windows alternatives, and will continue to do so.

Barry Collins
    Deputy Editor

8. Muck Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I guess if you get nothing done in the day it’s no big deal. You’ll just have to work harder the rest of the month

9. Abhilash Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I don’t think there can be a fair outcome for the graphic designers using GIMP coz they must not be acquainted to it anyway… :(

10. Kevin Partner Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’ll be joining in at home by using Ubuntu 10.10 – the biggest challenge is likely to be image editing. The Gimp is bloody awful and I’ve yet to find a decent alternative.
    I tried this last year with a slightly earlier version of Ubuntu and I loved it: the only reason I went back to Windows 7 because Ubuntu didn’t support dual monitors on my new laptop – it works perfectly on my desktop (which I’m now using again).
    After all, Wubi makes it childsplay to install and, if nothing else, a change is nice every now and again.

11. Coltch Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Never could get on with Ubuntu, can’t understand why as I’ve been running Debian for years. prefer Fedora and Win7.

12. Alan B Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

@Abhilash

The fact of the matter is that there are a lot of types of application for which the FOSS alternatives are not even in the same league. The design stuff on Macs, Office and Exchange on PC, ERP and payroll apps on PC, games on PC … if you don’t need any of the above then Ubuntu is the way to go. Otherwise you have no choice but to be Mac or Windows.

February 9th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

To the people moaning about Linux and Mac articles in PC Pro…

The key words here are Personal Computer… Linux runs on any PC and a Mac is a PC. To those saying go buy a Mac or Linux magazine, why don’t you go and buy a Windows magazine? I don’t see Windows anywhere in the publications name.

It is good to see that PC Pro are living up to their name. We implement several different solutions and we use the best platform for each, which means we have a mixture of Windows, Linux and UNIX platforms here.

14. AW Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

@Barry

If you focus on the iPad, yes that is a nascent market. But apple iTouch has been around for much longer and that is what I use for reading The Economist. Works fine! I want an app for Android too as that is the device I use daily.

15. Richard Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m shocked at myself for saying this but even I, die hard Windows user since version 3.1, am impressed with Ubuntu. Recently installed it on a very old low spec Compaq Armada laptop and have been really pleasantly surprised how good it is. I could have installed Windows XP but frankly, good though it is, I’m getting bored with XP and Ubuntu feels fresher and comes with all the software an average user would require and much more besides.

16. Rowan Parker Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 4:16 pm

@Kevin Partner:
    I didn’t like Gimp at first so I tried this: http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/. It’s called Pixel, it is (or was) relatively cheap at about 20 quid when I got it a year or two ago. It’s a lot more Photoshop like. Eventually, I went back to Gimp but somewhere worth looking at.

17. Bob Harvey Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Only the one day?

Let’s say a month, shall we?

I use *buntu on several machines, but cannot escape windows to run serif pageplus or autocad. Much as I would like to.

18. Oli Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 5:24 pm

@Cyberindie – “PC Pro” not “Windows Pro”.

@Barry – If you or your team have any problems, please feel free to come and get them fixed on AskUbuntu.com – We’ll do our best to help you just as we would any other Ubuntu user.

19. Cyberindie Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 5:43 pm

@David Wright

I take your point – until now PC Pro has suited me in the past as I only use Windows, Mac OSX and iOS and this was PC Pro’s main focus.

Linux doesn’t interest me at the moment.

20. Martyn Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I think most of the value to a business using ubuntu or linux in general comes from the server side. Having a linux based file / mail / print / application server and the applications that are established here. Ubuntu / linux clients in a windows network is a waste of time.

For a home user, being ubuntu pure is going to give you grief. Not always because of ubuntu as a product but the place you normally go to get peripherals wont be able to give you good info or support, as well as your isp etc.

21. Paul Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 6:39 pm

@Cyberindie

…. and don’t forget to collect your check from M$ for your unfailing sycophancy and ‘loyalty’ (3 posts in a day!)

22. Richard Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 7:27 pm

@Paul
    Uncalled for, Cyberindie is just more interested in Windows than Linux which is fair enough. And by the way in the UK, its spelt cheque not ‘check’, and use of M$ is so risibly passé!!

23. madhi19 Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 7:43 pm

It the first two week of a Linux transition that can get frustrating. But if you stick to it you learn that Linux is not hard at all.

24. cyberindie Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I’m sure Ubuntu is very good but currently 100% of my customers are either Mac or Windows users. So my focus is on those OS. One day perhaps Windows will be history and Ubuntu will rule but not for the average non-IT professional user.

I’m going to get flamed for this but on a modern PC Windows 7 is actually pretty good and I don’t feel a desperate need to change even though Ubuntu is ok I’m sure. Moving to any new OS involves re-learning things.

25. cyberindie Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Before the flames start I meant to say Ubuntu isn’t someone used much today by non-IT professionals but perhaps one day it will be.

26. Xavier Sythe Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Too often, Ubuntu is assumed to be the pinnacle of desktop Linux. It’s not. See Linux Mint 10 (the KDE Edition).

27. Dexter Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Oh, I can’t wait for tomorrow to read about this!

28. Dean Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Really enjoyed reading the article in this months issue, I’d tried Ubuntu some time ago and was impressed back then but never really stuck with it but was very keen to give it another go, followed the instructions and created a bootable 1GB flash drive which worked perfectly, installed quicker and easier then any Windows install I’ve ever used!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of Windows 7 and do think it’s an impressive OS but I like the idea of Ubuntu and open source in general. Plus no competition makes the market stale and lack innovation and allows companies to charge what they like and keeps making them push to improve, so I’m not a fanboy of any company, I like to use everything!

It’s quite unbelievable how far Linux in all its forms has come and how much amazingly well made so much of the software is.

I’ve heard there is a government mandate in Brazil to push open software and that Windows is a much smaller percentage of the marketplace, I’d be interested to read more about Linux penetration in developing/emerging markets and how it has been adopted by businesses around the world in general should you think about giving Linux more coverage.

29. Miles Prower Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

/following tweets

30. LinuxGuy Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Good to hear.
    Finally some respect towards the future OS.

31. Peter Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’m excited! That’ a very funny project. Ubuntu seems to get more and more common :)

32. Cliff Wells Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Good luck! Despite many of the negative comments here, I applaud you for taking on what will certainly be an “interesting” challenge.

33. steve Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Good news !!! PC == Personal Computer != Windows only computer. cyberindie if you cancel your subscription, magazine will have the mine one (I think not a bad deal). sorry for my english

34. Chasalin Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

@cyberindie: Of course, every OS has a learning curve. So does Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution. And so does Windows with almost every new version. I had to teach people to work with 95/98 after 3.11, with XP after 95/98, Vista was the worst and then came 7…
    I don’t mean it as a bad thing. New features need to be learned. Have you tried the new Office ribbon?

I also “converted” people to Ubuntu. Complete ‘noobs’ who hadn’t heard about Linux ever in their life.
    Most of them now know how to install software from the repositories as well as how to run windows software with Wine.
    Yes, they run into trouble when a device is not plug-and-play like an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier with closed source drivers. but I get more people on the phone with devices not recognised by Windows.

My point is: re-learning is not a bad thing; one must always update his knowledge to keep up. And never prefer one OS over another ‘because you know it’, because that is never true…

35. TGM Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

It is PC Pro after all, it doesn’t matter what OS you run to be that pro! Furthermore if you go to corporations Linux, Windows and Max all co-exist so why not in PC Pro?

36. lenooh Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I switched to Ubuntu about 3 years ago. What I really like about it, is that it can be freely downloaded and installed on any machine. All the applications are free and can be installed with a click. This is something windows will never be able to offer. Also, Ubuntu updates all software from a single interface. No more nagging for updates from every single application installed… When a new version of Ubuntu comes out (every 6 months), the entire OS can be upgraded.
    The only excuse/reason I see not to use Ubuntu, is lack of a certain windows software, but that can be largely solved be virtualisation, wine, dualbooting or using a different PC.
    When you are spoiled by Ubuntu friendliness, you never switch back.

37. danh Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Pinta is a good mono alternative to Paint.net

38. lefty.crupps Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

> Over the past year we’ve been won over by the
    > maturity, reliability and sheer quality of Ubuntu

Wow, you should try other versions of GNU/Linux to see how well they perform as well (hint: IME so much better than the *bunts)

39. Matt Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I see this as a good thing. I use Ubuntu on my desktop while OS X with my MacBook Air. I like Ubuntu a lot. If it wasn’t for the track pad on my laptop working so well with OSX, I might consider using strictly Ubuntu.

However, I do dual boot Win7 for gaming purposes… and the occasional Windows app that I need.

40. invalid username Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 10:50 pm

i’d love to see a ubunto device play a bought dvd movie with out altering the content of the dvd or using windows

41. Cathhsmom Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I am home user and I love Ubuntu. I like not having to deal with cleaning spyware, viruses, etc.. I am not saying that Ubuntu is virus free,but it is not susceptible like Windows to viruses. The boot up time is quick. I like Ubuntu much better than Windows. Dell sells a couple of computers with Ubuntu preloaded too, so it is getting more popular.

42. Justin Says:
    February 9th, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Wine Is Not an Emulator.

“(using the WINE emulator could potentially harm performance, which wouldn’t be a fair test)”

43. nechus Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 3:12 am

I’m a school teacher and was able to teach myself how to use Ubuntu back in 2006, when it was not even half as easy as it is today. I do all my stuff with Ubuntu, from text formatting to image, sound and video editing. I don’t think a bunch of experts will flunk the test!
    Good luck to y’all. :D

44. Tim Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 3:46 am

why the comments on gimp. You can run photoshop on wine. Go appdb and follow instructions or just use PlayOnLinux

45. Indian_Art Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 4:16 am

Ubuntu is being taken up by non-IT professionals. In fact, millions use it today.

As a non-IT professional myself I find that perhaps Ubuntu isn’t thrust on ‘customers’ is because there is no ‘profit’ to be made.

Giving people choice and refunding their OS license fees when they chose Ubuntu (free) might change things.

Maybe a an ‘OS ballot’ like the European ‘browser ballot’ could help.

46. Martin Owens Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 4:36 am

@cyberindie – It’s ok, a lot of new Ubuntu users are really very interested in the new tech, the interesting experiments in design.

Personally, I do it for the freedom and control. Good luck PCPro, you’re going to need luck for a quick change of the guard and it might be seat of your pants time.

47. AnxiousNut Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 5:20 am

From my point of view, one day isn’t enough. It’s just like telling a full-time linux user to try Win7 or Mac OS X for one day. Judgments will not be made correctly.

48. stinkeye Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 5:48 am

@cyberindie
    “Ubuntu isn’t someone used much today by non-IT professionals but perhaps one day it will be”

I would say “non-computer savvy” people, and the reason for this is most computers come with Windows
    preinstalled so they think Windows
    is an irreplaceable component of a PC.

49. Eric N. Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 6:07 am

This must have been a fun task for your IT department to pull off. Did they rely heavily on drive imaging for fresh installs, use Wubi, or make heavy use of the Live CD capability?

Anyway, I’m surprised at all the negative responses you are getting for having some non-trivial coverage of an alternative operating system. Personally, I just find it refreshing to read about something other than iOS every once in a while.

50. Hans Andersen Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 7:34 am

I have been running Ubuntu for the last 5 years without any problems at all.
    Except for dedicated hardware components, everyday life can easily be fullfilled by:
    LibreOffice
    Firefox
    The Gimp
    Songbird
    Google Picasa/Earth/Chrome etc.
    and what have you ..

51. Mike Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 7:36 am

I have been running almost exclusively on Ubuntu for the past 18 months. Yes you have to re-learn various short-cuts etc but the saving in money and the better user experience makes it very worthwhile!

52. milocome Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 8:52 am

I agree with some of the comments it is a PC magazine. I have been dual boot ubuntu and windows 7. I can see the time when ubuntu starts to get more popular I ive and work in france and more of my students are using open office than Microsoft as they do not have access to student versions. Incidentally there is a mac interface of ubuntu which is very pleasant. I quite happily switch between ubuntu and windows. the biggest problem that I face regularly is the wubi every minor/major uubuntu pgrade seems to screw this up and I have to spend time sorting it out

I like the idea of having a free choice it keeps the paying version on their toes and that can only be good for the consumer – amateur and professional.

53. alewis Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 9:02 am

Hmm… good luck following the progress on Twitter – the account doesn’t exist.. :(

54. Cyberindie Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 9:09 am

From a business perspective what would be interesting is how much more efficiently you run under Ubuntu. I’m talking about freeing up time by increased productivity – the biggest cost to businesses. It will be interesting to know how many hours were saved time wise by switching to Ubuntu rather than say Windows 7

55. xiphon Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 9:33 am

@Alan B : There are good alternatives to Exchange – open-xchange.com is one of them. OOo is a good MS Office alternative for 95% of users (who don’t have custom macros/VBA)

56. dany Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 10:31 am

Great to see this.Every PC mag should do this.

57. Lestibournes Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 11:37 am

I think the correct url is

58. FANUM Says:
    February 10th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I commend you on doing something most of your competition would not have the balls to do. I switched from Windows 6 years ago, and use Ubuntu for all of my home computers and my companies computers. Ubuntu in general has come so far in the last 6 years, I have converted everyone in my family, most of my friends, and 10 or so elderly clients who could not understand windows (yes you read that right, and only had to take 1 or 2 calls from them after the switch, compared to 10 or more when trying to get the hang of Win7 or XP). Anyone who has tried Linux in the past and been let down (even in the last year), I encourage you to try this experiment with pcpro. You might be pleasantly surprised. Congrats PCPro, I have never read or purchased any of your magazines, but this one will be my first.

59. julio Says:
    February 11th, 2011 at 2:38 am

normally i don’t make any comments but i begin to read this article, like very much, just to say to something, be open mine new stuff coming up, i’m porsche technician and having window xp on our diagnostic laptop no good and really frustrating and disappointed to our sophisticated electronic environment, personally heard about linux over 10 year ago now time has come switch *ubuntu 10.04 on my personal notebook, windows rest in peace thk very much. people react as sceptically because this time change. dont resist or be afraid to “change”. again rest in peace window and all related products

60. daniel4ing Says:
    February 11th, 2011 at 12:07 pm

@Cyberindie Increasing productivity vs the ammount of cash wasted to buy the right licences.

You have to learn windows too when it first comes out, the same applies for apple related OS’ and *nix Os’

61. Marc Says:
    February 13th, 2011 at 8:21 pm

@cyberindie
    Ur ignorance is scary. Especially since it seems that you say you are working with clients that need their computers? You are not serving them the best you could.

1) Ubuntu is NOT used by IT tech, Debian is, SUSE, maybe some old RedHat hangers on… but to me, Ubuntu is for elderly and kids most of all. Newbs, greenies. Especially a LIVE CD. I can give a Live CD of Ubuntu to just about anyone (Last week, a 9y/o) and they can get the hang of it in an hour (or less).

This 9 y/o just stuck the Live CD in his computer and rebooted. Their ‘windows’ installation was corrupted, probably software or virus and he hasn’t had net in a month. Reboots, OS is up, all network is working, internet again. Does he, his sis or mom care what OS? Maybe… if some other winfanatic gives them a “win-only” program. But he’s online now. Try to get someone to install windows fresh and get online in less than a half hour via tech support. No thanks I used to do that. I’d rather tell them download Ubuntu live and throw it in the drive.

2) I’m willing to say that your scared. I’m not being offensive with that statement I just think u need to get a Live CD and run it for yourself. Run it like you are 80% of the people out there that FB, email, Tweet, read webpages, maybe make a doc here and there or edit a picture. And you’ll QUICKLY realize Ubuntu is all most people need.

3) Nope, I am not a Linux shill. If anything, I’m a Unix shill. I did MIS for a Unix/Windows NT4 ISP, in the modem days… both had their merits then, both do now. I’ve been using Windows since v1 and NT was v3. It still is on my “big workhorse” computer. I am one of those that say, no equiv to Adobe on Linux. Especially in print industry.

Since, 1993 I have installed Linux probably every couple years to see where it’s at. SUSE, Knoppix and now Ubuntu have been ones that I cozied up to most recently. Live CDs make that REALLY easy.
    [ http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html ]
    [ http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download ]

Ubuntu impressed me the most. I sent it to my almost-80-yr-old mom. Told her, throw it in your laptop and use this. My mom got it!

Now, it’s full HD install on all my laptops. Longer battery life! Didn’t even expect that one. I have a triple monitor setup on my workhorse and I will say, Ubuntu multi-mon support sucks. I installed it on there but went quickly back to Windows 7. (After I got off all the malware Windows allowed on there). But on the laptops, using cloud services like Google Docs… I will not go back to Windows on those laptops.

Anyway, long post just to say, cyberindie… REALLY run Ubuntu on a laptop or something… USE it. Learn it… then, come back here and say u like Windows the best. Then, your opinion will be more valuable to others. I don’t listen to people’s opinions about a restaurant if they haven’t eaten there, more than once hopefully. Why should someone care about your opinion of Linux?

-AI

62. Draculas Guest Says:
    February 16th, 2011 at 11:37 am

Cyberindie wrote :
    “But yes perhaps you are right I need to cancel my subscription and find a mag that spends 90% of its time just on Windows and Mac stuff.”

- Thats a bit extreme isn’t it? One article on Ubuntu is hardly justification for canceling an entire subscription. With a magazine that consists of nearly 200 pages, a couple of pages on Ubuntu still only works out at a tiny percentage of the content. It seems rather hostile to be making comments like this considering you’ve not even used Linux!

- If Windows suits your needs then fair enough, no-one is saying you should abandon it, but there’s no harm in being open minded about the alternatives.
    You might find that Linux fills a gap in your digital life that you hadn’t thought about previously. Maybe you have an old laptop thats now considered too slow to run Windows, but could be revived with something like Puppy Linux, or perhaps you want to provide grandma with a secure internet terminal so she can get into this facebook thing she’s been hearing about.
    You might find the Live CD aspect of Linux useful as a recovery tool for your clients in case a Windows installation dies and you need to retrieve some data from the hard drive before you re-format it, or maybe you need to set up a file server on the cheap and keep costs down by running a free operating system.

- There’s plenty of use cases for Linux, and since its free there’s no reason not to try it. Even if you don’t like it, at the very least you can say you weighed up the other options, and your computing experience wont be so insular. (It makes me cringe when people sing the praises of Windows if they have no benchmark to compare it against).

63. Daniel Clem Says:
    March 13th, 2011 at 7:25 am

This was a very long time ago but wanted to put my 2 cents in on this. What the heck is the point of sooooo many people utterly leaving a magazine / new site just cause they use and support FREE and OPEN SOURCE software? There is nothing bad that can come from that and can only help to make it more popular and main stream. Garnering more support and development and saving people from being locked into closed OS’s. Sorry but people need to lighten up a bit and stop being so closed minded. Don’t care if you need need Windows for your occupation.

Linux has quadrupled in popularity in the past few years. Going from like 2 percent desktop usage. To 5 percent in comparison to Apple’s 7 percent. Granted that probably includes Dual boots. But still that is just in the past Couple of years. And its only getting better every day cause it has CONSTANT development.

Bottom line. If you Have not tried it RECENTLY!!!. Don’t judge against it cause you honestly have no idea what your talking about.