Posted on July 19th, 2010 by Barry Collins

Windows vs Ubuntu: in a nutshell

Ubuntu 1004You may recall how Dell dug itself into an almighty hole last month, after proclaiming that Ubuntu was safer than Windows, before swiftly changing its mind and declaring itself more neutral than Switzerland.

Well, now the PC maker’s had time to think the matter through, another page has appeared on the Dell website, condensing the whole Windows vs Ubuntu debate into about 100 words.

From Dell’s perspective the choice is clear. You should choose Windows if (and I swear I’m not paraphrasing here):

• You are already using WINDOWS programs (e.g. Microsoft Office, iTunes etc) and want to continue using them
  • You are familiar with WINDOWS and do not want to learn new programs for email, word processing etc
  • You are new to using computers

And you should plump for Ubuntu if:

• You do not plan to use Microsoft WINDOWS
  • You are interested in open source programming

So, just to get this highly complex argument straight: you should use Windows if you’ve already used Windows or have never used Windows. And you should only think about Ubuntu if you’re an open-source programmer. Got it?

By the way, I’m writing a feature on Ubuntu 10.04 vs Windows 7 for the next issue of PC Pro, on sale 21 August. I’m not sure I can match the degree of sophistication in Dell’s carefully thought-out analysis, but I’ll give it a go…

(Thanks to PC Pro blog reader rob997 for the tip-off.)

Tags: , ,

Posted in: Random

66 Responses to “ Windows vs Ubuntu: in a nutshell ”

1. hpoom Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I am glad to head you are working on a Ubuntu article for the next issue. I have been complaining for years that PC Pro is too Windows biased. Only reason I keep up my subs is for the hardware reviews. Please add more alternative OS coverage to the Mag each month!

2. Tomasz Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Which ranges do they offer Ubuntu for though? It is not available on the 11z models for example.

3. Chad Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Well this certainly shows that Microsoft still has some sharp elbows; and that they will take no chance with Linux. How much of their user base would ever even see that page?

If you do not plan on using Windows? If you are interested in open source programming? So basically it says to only try Ubuntu if you are already a Linux geek. Good grief. My computer-illiterate mother uses Ubuntu and has a much easier time than she ever had with Windows. That “Linux isn’t user-friendly” argument just does not hold up anymore.

4. Simon Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Ditto

5. Gavin Moorhouse Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

6. Fiqqer Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Looks like a little bit of leaning has been going on.

7. Indian Art Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 6:36 pm

“I’m not sure I can match the degree of sophistication in Dell’s carefully thought-out analysis, but I’ll give it a go…”
    LOL Hilarious, sarcasm but funny!

I’m eagerly looking forward to your feature on feature on Ubuntu 10.04.

8. Richard Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Why would Open Source Programming be any easier on Ubuntu than Windows?

9. sarloth Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Gavin: http://www.ubuntu.com/project/case-studies

Plenty of LARGE companies/governments/schools use Ubuntu.

10. Ben Isaacs Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Nice to hear that we will see a non biased comparison of Windows and Ubuntu 10.04 in PC Pro.

11. Marcio Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 7:56 pm

Gavin Moorhouse, search no more… http://www.serpro.gov.br. We are the biggest Latin American government IT company (10k employees), and we use Ubuntu for Destkop (and Debian for servers). We still use Windows (and mainframe) on some legacy stuff, but we are porting to Linux evertything we can. Every single new computer comes with ubuntu only, no exceptions.

Cya. Long live Ubuntu \o/

12. obscur156 Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Well,looks like DELL is still a prostitute of Micro$oft.Just like all the hardware makers.Sad but true just like the song…
    Thats just me,best regards.

13. Joe Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

People need to stop buying dell computers and wake up. Microsoft has bought off all the companies selling Microsoft products. The companies selling GNU/Linux products even do a crummy job. Two sites I can recommend are http://www.thinkpenguin.com which target non-technical users and sells GNU/Linux systems, peripherals, support, and accessories. Also they design systems, peripherals, and accessories for GNU/Linux. Also, http://designed-for-linux.org is being setup to help users find products and companies who actually sell products designed for GNU/Linux. Rather than what dell and most GNU/Linux companies do today. Which is sell peripherals and computers that require non-free drivers and firmware that don’t work quite right in GNU/Linux and can be difficult to get setup and often stop working due to the fact they can’t be maintained by the community.

14. Steve Cassidy Says:
    July 19th, 2010 at 11:53 pm

Reads to me like the summer interns have been left writing things for DELL about WINDOWS… All Ur Pundits are belong to us?

(reCAPCHA just gave me “dictums nothing”…)

15. John Joda Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 4:24 am

I am a tech fixing windows everyday. I run Ubuntu, because I can not afford my rates….:)

16. dave Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 4:56 am

when Ubuntu (or any other Linux) runs Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Quark, Final Cut Pro it might stay on my HDD for more than 5 minutes.

17. not important Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 5:24 am

Ubuntu (or any other Linux) has very little control over who writes their software to run on it.

Amazingly though Photoshop runs like a champ in wine.

18. dave Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 6:39 am

dual boot and get over it

19. zo3 Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 7:14 am

This is just the M$ marketing power. I have installed Ubuntu on the work laptop of my mum and she is very happy with. By the way it took me almost 10 years to explain how to copy-past to her.

20. asdfsagsd Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 7:50 am

With Oracle VirtualBox (see http://www.virtualbox.org ), you can run Windows on Linux. That’s entirely sufficient for running regular Windows applications. OpenGL applications are already hardware accelerated on Windows in VirtualBox, if the Linux X driver supports it, and a Direct3D driver is in the works. In the meantime, a Wine3D solution can be used on some Windows guest OSes (XP or earlier, experimental grade). On some Linux platforms, like RHEL (RedHat Enterprise Linux, see http://www.redhat.com/rhel ), other virtualization solutions are available. For multimedia applications (like playing all audio and video formats), there are multimedia software packages available for Ubuntu in the Canonical store ( see http://shop.canonical.com ). On other Linux systems, you can purchase multimedia solutions from Fluendo ( http://www.fluendo.com ).
    So, in many cases, there’s no reason anymore to dual boot with Windows. I use Linux for almost everything, and use Windows on VirtualBox only for one or two legacy Windows applications.

21. Pictonic Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 7:55 am

Dave – you on commission from MS? Why buy Windows and set up dual boot when PS runs OK in Wine?

22. AnonC Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 8:16 am

Not that I fear retribution or something, I just don’t think PCPro needs my mail and website for me to comment.

@Dave
    When Windows can survive without a antivirus, spyware blocker, adware blocker and IE, it might stay on MY HDD for more than 5 minutes.

23. Simon Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 9:49 am

to be fair I think dave has a point and I think ubuntu should open up it’s software center to proprietary companies. I would pay the going rate for some software, and having it delivered through the app get app would mean it’s always kept up to date. in fact doing this might encourage more dev’s to get on board.

You already need to set up payment if you want to use the unbuntu one system to get music so it can’t be a far stretch from there to paid for software.

As for the comparision to windows the biggest differance I see on my dual boot machine is that everytime I boot to window’s it takes for ever and 10 different programes want to update. where as in unbuntu even if it’s been 6months since i last booted that machine it’s up and running in 60secs or less with on notification that updates are ready for my pc. click the red arrow. click ok and then leave. (strangely now have to reboot instead of ctrl alt backspace but never mind)

If MS could get rid of the crapware it might stand a chance on my PC.

July 20th, 2010 at 9:58 am

@Gavin Moorhouse – me either. Although we did use SUSE on some of our desktops and all of our in-house servers (apart from the government approved accounting server, which ran Windows 2000 Server). Our production web servers all ran CentOS.

That said, I switched to SUSE in 2003, as I never like XP. Then to OS X in 2006/7 and back to Windows when Vista came out.

I now use Windows 7 most of the time, with OS X as second string and SUSE VMs running on both my Windows laptop and iMac…

25. Steve Cassidy Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

My matrix of operating systems is about the same as David’s (though I find that CentOS doesn’t support as wide a range of kit as I would like): what always puzzles me once one is running a wide enough range of kit and operating systems is: why be loyal to any of them? After all, I’m typing this… on Vista!

26. IBrown Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Interesting that the Windows screenshot on the Dell page is from XP.

27. OS1 Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I had to laugh, at the top of the page it not only says “Windows® . Life without Walls (TM) . Dell recommends Windows 7.” – a nice bit of balance there then, but wasn’t the now seemingly trade marked phrase Life without Walls coined during the anti trust trial “In a world without walls there’d be no need of Windows”? Just shows M$ primary business is marketing and not software.

28. Kim Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

You are new to using computers, then you are going to have a learning curve which ever OS you choose. I am really not convinced that Windows 7 is in any way easier to use than Ubuntu 10.04. I have both on my laptop and use Ubuntu 10.04 most of the time.

29. Patrick Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 1:24 pm

@Dave, Those are WINDOWS applications. There are UBUNTU applications that have those functions, if you insist on not even running those ones through Wine. Stop being a fanboy.
    LMGTFY:
    Photoshop -> GIMP, Illustrator -> sK1, InDesign/Quark -> Scribus, Final Cut Pro -> Kino/PiTiVi/others
    And that’s just five minutes of searching. GTF-Overit.

30. AdrianB Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Am I abnormal? I run applications on my computers, I don’t run operating systems. That’s why I happen to end up with Windows on my PCs, because the applications that I like happen to run on Windows, and it’s why I find all this Windows v Linux arguments miss the point – the use of a computer!

31. Rob H Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I’m running open-source apps (Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Pigeon, etc) on Vista with Netrunner 2 Linux in VirtualBox. Netrunner is easier to use than Vista, hands-down.

32. Abe Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

@Gavin Moorhouse

[I’m still yet to come across a business using Ubuntu or any flavour of Linux for their desktop OS]

Try this link and get more enlightened

33. whynnot Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

why only Ubuntu 10.04? have used Ubuntu since 7.10 and gave 10.04 a try on a 64-bit machine. I also gave Fedora 13 a try and wondered why i have been on Ubuntu all this time

34. trentreviso Says:
    July 20th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

This is a reaction to the Abbie Schubert affair. Abbie Schubert was briefly famous in 2009 for buying an Ubuntu Dell because it was cheaper than the Windows version. Taking delivery of the computer, she then complained that Ubuntu could not run Windows programs, that Dell had failed to inform her of this fact, and that her inability to run Windows on the Dell caused her to drop out of college.

35. cantormath Says:
    July 21st, 2010 at 12:28 am

Anyone who picks Windows over Ubuntu has clearly not used Ubuntu for any extended period of time as their primary Desktop. If you do not know how to use Linux, your opinion on the matter means nothing. If you do not know how to use Linux, you do not matter in this debate.

July 21st, 2010 at 9:09 am

@cantormath I use Ubuntu, SUSE, Windows and OS X, I’d pick Windows and OS X over Ubuntu and SUSE any day, for general desktop work.

Linux has its place, but it still isn’t ready for prime-time. For new users, who don’t have any legacy, there is no real reason not to swap.

For people using MS Office, Creative Suite or bespoke software, there are lots of reasons not to swap… :-(

@Patrick, while there are a lot of applications on Linux which cover the same basics as Windows apps, there is still a huge gulf in usability and features.

One reason we can’t switch to OpenOffice (even on Windows) is lack of functionality, especially in pivot table flexibility and Excel add-ons! We have a corporate reporting tool (JetReports), which is a plug-in for Excel, OO.o doesn’t support Excel plugins, so it is a non-starter.

Yes, we could probably get Office and JetReports running under Linux, but why bother? The users don’t use Windows anyway, they use Excel, NAVision, Outlook and maybe Word. They don’t understand file systems, they just know which buttons to press, to get their apps loaded. For 90% of users, the underlying operating system is totally irrelevant, as long as they can easily install and launch the applications they need.

Unfortunately, The Gimp is not a suitable replacement for Photoshop, as least for a professional. For the casual user, it might be fine, but for the professional studios, it is a non-starter (we had Linux workstations, Windows PCs and Macs at the last place, the devs used Linux, the photo-retouchers used Windows/CS and the photographers used Macs/CS, they tried to move the retouchers over to The Gimp (even on Windows), to save money, but the reduction in productivity and the drop in quality of the results meant that Photoshop paid for itself within a couple of weeks. For the web devs, making small images or doing a bit of resizing, The Gimp was fine).

OO.o is similar, it is a great product, as long as you are only doing documents for yourself, or you are sending out prints or PDFs. As soon as you need to interact with companies which use MS Office, you will look like bumbling idiots. :-(

We had a presentation sent to us, the admin set it up on the main conference room PC, then the clients & logitic partner turned up to discuss the new logistic process, only the PowerPoint presentation was a complete mess, OO.o displayed the lines connecting to the wrong boxes (or into open space), text inside boxes was outside the box. It was embarassing. In the end, the company finally relented and put PowerPoint Viewer on the conference room machine.

Word to OO.o Writer is similarly frustrating, it can open the files, but a lot of formatting is lost or incorrectly displayed, pagination goes to pot… You spend half your time trying to re-format the document, then, if you have to send it back, the original user, with Word, has to go through the same rigamaroll. Again, the company ended up installing a copy of MS Office on one machine, to proof document formatting, before the documents were allowed out of house – it was a design agency, so was even more embarassing, when the documents turned up looking like sh1t.

37. karalite Says:
    July 21st, 2010 at 8:20 pm

see our government is totally windows free – http://www.zdnetasia.com/india-s-kerala-state-goes-open-source-62025967.htm

38. matt Says:
    July 22nd, 2010 at 1:25 am

“Yes, you can put older versions of MS Office onto Linux, but why bother? It is a pain to install, compared to Windows and if you are dishing out several hundred quid for a copy of office, what difference is the price of having the OEM install Windows on the machine, as opposed to delivering it with Linux installed or with nothing installed?”
    thats not true actually, office 2007 runs and installs just as easily using wine in linux as it does in a native windows environment.
    also, even if you buy a windows OEM virus magnet you would still end up paying extra for ms office anyway as well as the extra money for the windows licence that youre forced to buy with it.
    linux tends to be installed with less software than windows computers but that is not a bad thing – windows computers are always shipped with incredible amounts of bloatware which most people dont require, instead most distributions of linux use online software repositories which contain a large variety of softare ready to download and be installed on demand such as media codecs.
    i do think that dell should consider using linux mint as this is basically ubuntu with media codecs
    pc vendors should be forced to let customers buy ANY pc or laptop with a choice of operating systems or even no operating systems without any bias towards one or the other

39. Simon Ball Says:
    July 23rd, 2010 at 9:40 am

Intriguingly your printer reviews dont state whether the printers will work with linux…i wonder why?

40. Michael Says:
    July 24th, 2010 at 8:30 am

It’s ironic to read a comparison from a firm which barely offers the choice. If they had the cajones to offer Ubuntu -then- they could preach; One netbook and one laptop do not make a range.

41. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 7:38 am

cantormath Says:July 21st, 2010 at 12:28 am

Yet another example of ItsYourFault(TM), blame the user don’t help the user how predictable. Because Linux is somehow perfect beyond the limits of reality. But hey keep isolating new users that will surly end well.

42. Ron Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Wine runs most of these apps with the exception of final cut which is proprietary champion Apple owned

43. nate Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Do people still bother with Linux? After 20 years of total failure?

LOL.

44. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Ron Says: July 25th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

UseWine(TM) the Windows emulator to run Windows software on Linux! Complete with ugly interfaces, crashes and reduced features.

45. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Chad Says: July 19th, 2010 at 4:51 pm
    Simon Says: July 19th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Ah the classical LinuxForGrandmas(TM) argument, it has been too soon since I last observed such idiocy.

Remember folks, operating systems are only good for browsing the web and checking email! Let’s not concern ourselves with software compatibility, entertainment and productivity! Grandma is the overgeneralized golden standard. In grandma we trust!

46. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

obscur156 Says: July 19th, 2010 at 8:23 pm
    Joe Says: July 19th, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Ah yet another MicrosoftBribes(TM) argument! They make money by giving away money, economics need not apply.

47. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

asdfsagsd Says: July 20th, 2010 at 7:50 am

Ah the classic JustUseVirtualBox(TM) argument. Install and run Linux to install and run windows in a virtualized environment in order to install and run Windows software complete with performance slowdown. Why so dependent on Windows software?

Rube Goldberg would be proud.

48. The WHAM Burglar Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Abe Says: July 20th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Ah the categorical error that is the LinuxRunsOnTurtles(TM)argument.

The link you posted is for platforms other than desktops and laptops, hence a categorical error. Just because a OS runs on an specialized devices does not cause it to be the best choice for desktops and laptops. The hardware used by specialized devices and the needs of a user using a operating system on a specialized device is vastly different than that of a desktop.

49. fred Says:
    July 25th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

“Anyone who picks Windows over Ubuntu has clearly not used Ubuntu for any extended period of time as their primary Desktop.”

Riiiight. Keep on dreaming.

50. Rich Says:
    July 26th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Gavin Moorhouse Says:
    “July 19th, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I’m still yet to come across a business using Ubuntu or any flavour of Linux for their desktop OS.”
    The French Gendarme run something like 100k machines on Linux.
    Plus increasing numbers of large businesses and schools are moving over. As indeed are many small businesses who don’t want to shell out upto £800 to get their machine running with Windows OS, MS Office and all the other “official” sofware, but rather run with Ubuntu, OpenOffice, etc, etc.

51. Derp Says:
    July 27th, 2010 at 9:11 am

I worked as a sysadmin at a university and it was more difficult to make windows machines to have if just for having to hunt down the drivers for each. Linux desktops saw and could use all devices out of the box.

52. Simon Says:
    July 27th, 2010 at 10:55 am

The Wham Burglar says:

I take the point that if she wishes to more with the machine than look at photo’s, emails, and surf the web it will take more coaching but this would be the same for windows. you can’t just pop a copy of photoshop on the machine and say ‘there you go’ and leave.

The main difference is that once shown how to launch the browser, email client and photo viewer. you just need to explain the update sequence which is a lot simpler than windows and leave them to it.

In window’s you will need to explain how to keep all the software updated, make sure she renews her AV subscription and every time a pop up for a prog appears explain what it is and why 9/10 she can ignore it.

That is the real grandma argument!

53. dave Says:
    July 27th, 2010 at 11:37 am

Thank you david Wright – a voice of sanity.
    Firstly, to answer the “those are Windows progs” OSX actually, but hey keep that bias going.

Firstly, what they actually are, are the class-leading applications in their field, and what use is an OS that can’t run them natively?
    Secondly, the open source alternatives are simply not adequate for the tasks at hand, I guess you gets what you pays for in software as in anything else in life.
    Thirdly, in the real world that most people occupy, productivity is king, so fumbling around with Linux will damage throughput, that’s before I ask you where I can find a freelance Gimp operator, PS ones are 10 a penny.
    Fourthly and finally, after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on apps, still cameras, digital cameras an computer h/w wtf do I care about the $100 an OS costs?

54. J. Says:
    November 30th, 2010 at 9:13 am

@dave: $100 for Windows is far from being close, unless you’re buying an older, outdated version.

While both arguments that are being presented are valid in their own way, there is no “perfect” OS that does everything that someone wants it to do.

Linux has less viruses? Because Windows is more popular. Same goes for Macs – not as popular as Windows, hence less attacks against.

Windows has better programs? Depends on what you’re using, and if you really know how to use it. I’ve seen people create incredible works of art with PAINT, and I’ve seen people create utter shit with Photoshop. It’s not the machine, it’s the person using it in that regard.

Productivity IS king, and I agree that Windows has a really large foothold in the OS market — but so did Internet Explorer, and though it’s not extinct, it’s not as popular as it was.

The idea behind Linux and the enthusiasts behind it is that you can make a quality OS and not charge a ton of money for it. The developers make the programs compat or not, and that’s up to them — until they have a reason to make it for Linux, they’re not going to, but if Linux was brought to be more mainstream…well, you can bet your ass that more developers would jump on.

Just saying.

55. davines Says:
    October 3rd, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Only thoughts of you remain – In my heart where they have lain – Perfumed thoughts of you, remaining – A hid sweetness, in my brain – Others leave me: all things leave me: – You remain.

56. Earnest Mike Says:
    October 6th, 2011 at 10:28 am

There are some fascinating cut-off dates in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There is some validity but I’ll take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we would like extra! Added to FeedBurner as well

57. Chicago Bankruptcy Attorney Says:
    October 15th, 2011 at 1:47 am

Good post. I study one thing more difficult on completely different blogs everyday. It will all the time be stimulating to learn content from different writers and apply a little bit something from their store. I’d want to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a hyperlink in your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

58. Myriam Staub Says:
    October 18th, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Perfectly indited content , thanks for selective information .

59. summerming Says:
    November 6th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I just stumbled upon your sitio web and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

60. Eyeglasses Says:
    November 6th, 2011 at 9:23 pm

F*ckin? remarkable issues here. I?m very happy to see your post. Thanks so much and i’m looking ahead to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

61. printing from an ipad Says:
    November 20th, 2011 at 1:37 am

certainly like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to tell the truth however I?ll certainly come again again.

62. tiu 7 Says:
    January 12th, 2012 at 1:26 am

This is often very nice. An individual watch the offer written content so we are taken aback. We are precisely curious about one of these activities. Just one appreciate your potential recommendations, and prize your precious time inside this. Please keep enhancing. They’re same laudable marketing information retailer that could provide your encounter a very translucent care.

63. Jeniffer Panico Says:
    March 12th, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than three hours today, yet I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It¡¦s pretty value enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before.

64. payday loans Says:
    April 12th, 2012 at 1:52 am

Heyy,fantastic things you got here ;)

65. Jim Romand Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ubuntu for anything at home, hands down. For graphic designers who need access to Adobe software then it has to be Windows I’m afraid.

66. Beeman Says:
    March 8th, 2013 at 9:16 pm

We have been using ubuntu 12.04 as a desktop home computer for about 4 months now and it works great!