Posted on March 23rd, 2010 by Stuart Turton

Ubuntu 10.4 beta is bloody brilliant

I’ve been playing with the Ubuntu 10.4 beta for the past two days, and it’s bloody brilliant. You’re sick of hearing it, I know. Every Ubuntu release sends fanboys scrambling for the same, old script – the one where Ubuntu cracks the mainstream, crushes Windows and convinces the ignorant public that open source can cure cancer and inspire world peace.

In the same breath, Windows and Mac users tut, admire themselves in their glittering operating systems and wonder why they’d ever bother switching. Canonical is smart enough to recognise that most of us are entrenched with Windows or Mac OS X, and rather than demand you abandon them, it simply offers a ladder and a chance to peek at what lies on the other side.

The first step on this ladder is the Wubi installer. Slip the Ubuntu CD into your drive and you’ll be offered the choice of running the OS from the CD, installing it from within Windows, or dipping a tentative toe in the water by dual-booting with your current operating system.

None of these require any difficult decisions or research. The implications are right there on screen, and Wubi handles the difficult stuff. All it wants from you is a couple of clicks. I should stress that Wubi isn’t new to the beta – it’s just a good example of how Canonical’s wrapping the big, scary Linux monster in bows, ribbons and warm towels.

Wubi

The installation takes 15 minutes and once you’ve moved in, the first thing you’ll notice is the purple wallpaper. Much has been made of Canonical’s decision to ditch Ubuntu’s signature brown, and I’m going to hold my hands up here – I’m a big fan of the switch. Not just of the colour scheme, but of how tightly integrated everything feels.

Notifications – including instant messages, emails, tweets and Facebook posts – appear in the top right-hand corner of the screen and elegantly fade away. Firefox, Evolution, OpenOffice and the rest of the installed applications come dressed in a common interface, and while Ubuntu’s still not as flashy as Windows 7 or Mac OS X, it finally feels like an operating system, rather than a slightly awkward party with lots of different guests shuffling up against one another.

The biggest beneficiary of the new school uniform is Firefox. It seems odd to say, but just as Internet Explorer 8 only ever looked comfortable on Windows 7, so Firefox 3.6 nestles nicely into Ubuntu’s warm embrace. Its thick menus and bold icons find sympathy with the operating system’s chunky-icon chic, unlike the stripped down, violent blue of Google’s Chrome, which looks like a supermodel Smurf invited to a twilight tractor pull.

Firefox and Google

While I’m dwelling on particular applications, let me make special mention of Gwibber, which soaks up your Twitter, Facebook, Digg and Flickr feeds and presents them in a single stream, with a wealth of options for sorting the gold from the gibberish. It’s superb, easy to set up, and a perfect example of everything that’s good about the beta. Of course, the preinstalled software won’t be to everybody’s taste. I hate OpenOffice, for example, and would much rather etch words into my own flesh than use it for even an hour.

Thankfully, the wealth of free software that’s always been such an integral part of Linux’s allure can now be accessed through the Ubuntu Software Centre, which is essentially an open-source app store, complete with a “Featured Applications” section that provides a handy stepping off point for software experimentation.

Ubuntu Software Centre

It was through the Software Centre that I found the Wine Windows emulator, which is currently convincing Ubuntu to play nice with Word 2007 and Spotify – a task no more difficult that right clicking a mouse. Wine isn’t any sort of panacea for recalcitrant Windows-only software (Outlook 2007, doesn’t work, for example), but it’s a good enough balm to ease the transition.

In previous versions of Ubuntu, my next stop would have been to run off and install the Thunderbird email client, but Evolution’s Exchange support is finally up to snuff and within 30 seconds it was happily connected to my work network, allowing me to fling insults at my colleagues without interruption.

The network printer – which Windows 7 ignores like a sordid secret – was installed within two clicks, my two monitors were configured correctly out of the box (a first for any Ubuntu release) and visiting the websites of Chrome and Dropbox automatically ushered me towards the Linux downloads section without confusion.

Once they were installed my documents and bookmarks were synched to my desktop, and 30 minutes after seeing the Ubuntu 10.4 splash screen for the first time, I’d picked a favourite chair and made myself at home.

So there it is. Everything works. Everything’s fast. And it’s free. Don’t listen to the fanboys, and don’t bother with the script, Ubuntu 10.4 speaks for itself, and it’s eloquent as hell.

Posted in: Newsdesk, Random

143 Responses to “ Ubuntu 10.4 beta is bloody brilliant ”

1. Daniel Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 3:51 pm

2. Kevin Partner Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Did you try “Install within Windows” Stuart? If so, what was performance like?

3. Stuart Turton Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 4:01 pm

I didn’t Kevin, I installed it on a fresh partition. I’ve used the option on previous versions of Ubuntu though, and not noticed any significant performance degradation. However, I’m pretty sure there’s a bug in the first beta of 10.4, which means the “Install within Windows” option won’t work – they’re looking at fixing it for the second beta in a couple of weeks.

4. Paul Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 5:17 pm

@Stuart – I’m wondering if you could give an idea of how fast Ubuntu 10.4 boots? I know 9.10 made great strides in that area, but if 10.4 takes less then the minute Windows 7 takes on my machine, that could swing it for me.

Also, once you’ve got your PC dual booting, how easy is it to uninstall Ubuntu and go back to a single boot system, if you so desire?

5. Nick Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 5:31 pm

‘I hate OpenOffice, would much rather etch words into my own flesh than use it for even an hour’ – pretty much sums it up for me.

Its a reasonable OS let down by poor applications. If you don’t like OpenOffice then you’re straight back to Windows (or your Mac if you haven’t got any friends).

I’m glad the brown has gone, but can’t they change the name? Ubuntu has always grated with me!

6. CMD Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 5:53 pm

For a free app, Openoffice is great. You could also try the lightweight Abiword. I’m not keen on WUBI as it feels like building Fort Knox on a frozen lake, if Windows filesystem/partition fails you lose both. I’m running 9.10 and it’s the best Ubuntu yet, so I will upgrade to 10.0.4!

@Daniel you need to install the proprietary drivers for your graphics card if available. Or get an Nvidia card, I have no probs with 3D games like Qauke Live, UT2004 etc.

@Nick well if you don’t like the name Ubuntu, there also Linux Mint which is ubuntu with pre-installed flash, codecs, etc.

I’m also glad brown is gone! Though the theme has always been esy to change with a few clicks!

Also WINE Is Not An Emulator

7. Chris Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Long time muller over switching. Building a media centre out of old bits. What are THE media centre type apps for Ubuntu etc and would a MCE remote work with them?

8. Thomas' Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Haha, what Daniel says explains why Windows is a toy. The only thing a Windows computer can do different froma Linux/Mac PC is play games. Seriously, if you really need your computer games that badly, you deserve to pay for your OS. You can have your viruses and your spyware and your games.

9. Hamish Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:35 pm

@Chris Mythbuntu is ubuntu with MythTV installed – http://www.mythbuntu.org/ – don’t know what an MCE is though …

10. Stuart N. Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Yeah,, what thomas said. windows is for children

11. Adi Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Will my Motorola Q’s Windows Mobile show up correctly and ready to connect at 10.04? Tried 9.04 It shows but won’t connect.

The connection number username and password already doublechecked.

12. morocarlo Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:49 pm

good!

13. Dave Morley Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Wubi was indeed broken on the iso image however you can gab the newer fixed version as a standalone app that will grab the iso for you.

As for performance there is virtually no overhead if you have a cleanish drive. Normally best to do a defrag before you install.

The only virtual element is the discs that are used. They are loop mounted devices everything else is a standard install so it use hardware that is in the machine.

Hope that helps.

14. Edmond H Martin Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I have been using Ubuntu since 2006 and it is an awesome OS. I have one beef. Web cam support for different IM packages. Yahoo IM native would be real nice to, why don’t someone from conical offer to take over the defunked unix port they have.

15. Derek Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:06 pm

“Ubuntu’s still not as flashy as Windows 7 or Mac OS X”

I have to disagree – once Compiz is installed the eye-candy blows windows and MacOS out of the water. It’s the main selling point when friends come round and see my setup – you can hear the “oohs and aaahs” before they even open their mouths ;-)

I’m still using 9.10 – which is odd for me as I usually wait a few months before upgrading. Couple Ubuntu with Myth and XBMC and you have a media centre that rivals the WMC and wins out most of the time.

My sister’s BF has the Windows MC set up with his XBOX360, and the amount of faffing about when we go around to watch a film is quite amusing ;-)

16. Windywoo Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Wow if you are such a snob that you think playing games is somehow beneath you, you are welcome to your elitist Mac or unreliable Linux.

Windows can do something that OSX and Linux can’t which is support a wider range of hardware. Linux doesn’t even support wireless N yet (not on my adapter anyway) and OSX is restricted to Apple’s average hardware in shiny cases.

17. Bob Hazard Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Great summary, remember the finished CD doesn’t ship until April

@Chris I would install Boxee if you want to run a media centre. Other choices are XBMC and Moovida. MythTV is more heavyweight and designed to record like a DVR.

18. Dan M. Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I’m assuming you mean Media Center Edition remote when you say MCE, which Mythbuntu supports out of the box. As far as OpenOffice, it lacks… but it gets the job done.

19. Derek Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:10 pm

To Chris
    March 23rd, 2010 at 6:32 pm.

I use MythTV for liveTV, with live rewind/pause/recordings etc… and it works fine – it’s a bit of a git to set up, but once done it’s really quite stable.

Myth will also do Pics/Movies/Music etc…, but I prefer to use XBMC for this – it’s just nicer, and there is LiveTV coming for XBMC – it’s there now, but not very good as yet.

20. Derek Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:11 pm

@ Windywoo – I’ve had my N router for around 3 years. I’ve never had a problem with it using Ubuntu. Indeed, this was in part, one of the reasons I switched over from Windows – the adapter was a nightmare to setup and would mysteriously dissapear in Vista for no reason, leaving me to spend another night of around 3-4 hours getting it working again.

21. Suman Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:42 pm

this release cant even detect my graphics driver

22. Derek Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:46 pm

You have to install the graphics drivers, just like in Windows. It won’t detect them if they’re not there.

23. Stephan Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I also love Ubuntu and I even often use OpenOffice on Windows. I think OpenOffice still has some issues that need to be fixed but also some aspects that are better than MS Office. The best thing about OpenOffice is its look and feel (it doesn’t look like a game!). I am waiting for Ubuntu 10.4 to leave beta when I can safely install it on my computer. ;)

24. Don Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:51 pm

1. Gwibber – I can never make it work with facebook. Only with Twitter.

2. Evolution Mail – It’s good but not as good as Thunderbird/Lightning combo. It never failed me either

3. Empathy does not work at all!

This is coming from an Ubuntu newbie. If everything works seamless, I would say yay to all of your praises. But unfortunately, that’s not the case.

Good product all in all though.

25. Derek Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Not sure what Gwibber is, I can guess though.

As to the mail/IM clients – there’s a whole host to choose from – how many people stay with the default programs in Windows?

26. Casimir's Blake Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Sadly, no, Windows isn’t for children. Us “grown ups” that require the usage of Windows-only applications that refuse to work under WINE such as Bryce, Ableton Live or Paint.NET, will find Ubuntu hard to live with. Not to mention other heavyweight audio and video apps…

(I use Ubuntu on my “workshop” PC, however, where it functions perfectly as an office computer.)

27. Eric Lorenz Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Casimir- Easy to solve…install Sun VirtualBox, and run Windows under that- works great, and with the shared folders feature, you can pass files transparently between the Windows install and the host Ubuntu system.

28. Matt Lish Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I don’t know why people can’t get their games to work using wine…In fact I’ve had FAR better luck getting them to work than when I use Windows 7. I don’t like windows because all their products are so bloated that they take all your memory and is just plain slower than Linux or MacOS.

29. Jonathon Staples Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I’m sorry, but are people really judging the stability of Ubuntu 10.04 on the basis of a BETA release? Wait ’til the final release on April 29th before passing final judgement!

30. T L Smith Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 8:55 pm

When I finally decided to make the switch from windows, I was really uncertain after all I had ever known was windows. I tried ubuntu 8.04 in dual boot …after a month I was hooked I was so happy when I switched I have not looked back

31. pat Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 10:00 pm

now all they need to do is fix the window buttons.

32. Avinandan Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 10:08 pm

It’s very disappointing to know that still Linux uncommon and less used platform in some places, even when it’s the only Free operating system platform. I think Ubuntu gonna break that conception!

33. Tickler Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Ubuntu is definitely the distro that will break Linux through into the mainstream, even though there are many in the Linux community that like to think of their OS as some kind of rarefied club (”Ooh, you’ve got Ubuntu Karmic installed, maybe when you have a real Linux installed we can talk”). I’m more of an OS agnostic kinda person, Windows for gaming, Ubuntu for everything else. I don’t care what OS I’m using just as long as it’s the best for my needs at the time. Looking forward to Lucid Lynx, had a look at the alpha but it wouldn’t play nicely.

34. rajib Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 11:10 pm

that is very good but … that os is not friendly user so at first give the tutorial how to use that os ..total function and more how to use and batter use..but that os is soooooooooo amazing .. i like that … thank you to all team of Ubuntu .

35. jason Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I am a newbie to Ubuntu. I love the feel and smoothness of Ubuntu. I am not a computer geek by any means but I am able to figure most everything out. I am using the 9.04 version.I haven’t upgraded yet because wireless didn’t have a shared key to connect to the internet. Will the new version have a shared wireless key?

36. aamiraarfi Says:
    March 23rd, 2010 at 11:34 pm

I ve been experimenting with Ubuntu since 8.04 was released. I must say ubuntu is far more friendly for windoz and mac users than any other stable Linux distro. Caution for those who are trying to install ubuntu 10.04-beta-1 inside windows..Please go to wubi official site to get a new-version of wubi for beta-1. This bug is fixed and will be released with beta-2. Till then Njoy!

37. Tom Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 12:12 am

Stuart: If you install the version of Chrome in Google’s Ubuntu-specific package archive, under Options > Personal Stuff you’ll find a place where you can choose between the default blue theme and a GTK+-style theme that matches the rest of GNOME. You should’ve taken a look at the new Ubuntu One Music Store, too.

38. ben sanami Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 12:23 am

‘I hate OpenOffice, would much rather etch words into my own flesh than use it for even an hour’ not sure what the negativity is all about but here is my 2 cents worth, I purchased an XP windows upgrade for an older PC I had to get powerpoint now with vista the stupid upgrade will not work on vista windows has just create a mountain of waste. Solution I use open office word and powerpoint to create presentations and then save them as microsoft ppt and use the free powerpoint viewer in vista to view them. open source is the best and microsoft is a waste of money and time.

39. Prajjwal Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 2:25 am

A little note to Mr. Turner.

Ubuntu Versioning number goes

Year [point] Month, where the month is always in the double digits.

so its not 10.4, its 10.04.

40. Jerasimos N. Mantas Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 2:28 am

I am a 20+ year veteran of the IT field. I have known and worked on everything from mainframes, workstations and PCs with most every OS (*nix, Windows, MacOS) over the years. Here’s the honest and unbiased truth, like it or not, I don’t care.

Of all the OSes, the *nix-types are the most stable (statistically and realistically-speaking) of the three I mentioned. Now, you can bash each other over the head ’til hell freezes over. Enough is enough, already. Of all the OSes mentioned by the article and from all who have commented, let me give all of you some SANE comments, without getting into the childish bashing love-fest most of you seem to succumb to like a sugar-overdosed teenager. Ubuntu has always been more stable, more mature and all-around more well-behaved than Windows EVER was in any version, even WindowsXP which was the last OS I was happy to use (to a point, and for work requirements, ONLY). I can leave an Ubuntu box up for 24/7 duty, whether it is a workstation or a server, and damn-it, it WORKS its heart out with so much less memory requirements, it is stable and doesn’t crash on me like a windows box, and as far as the glitz and glamor, Ubuntu can look as beautiful as a blushing-bride if you want it to! It can look like any damn Windows or MacOSX flavor you want. Take it or leave it! OpenOffice is a workhorse, just like the rest of Ubuntu Linux. I would trust all my life-support equipment or any mission-critical work to it, rather than play a game of dice with a Windows box to support my life if I were hooked up to stuff to keep me alive!!!

Summary is this: Beta or not, you can bash all you want, I don’t care. But, if you don’t give Ubuntu Linux a fair and unbiased review side by side the other OSes on IDENTICAL boxes, then close your mouth and keep your bashing comments to your ignorant, uneducated self. Ubuntu has more community-backed muscle and support than Windows or Mac ever could muster, and it shows its worth each and every day, with each and ever new, converted or new computer user, and I can trust it with my mother, my grandmother and anyone else for that matter, who would be happy as clam and without any complaint about the whole Ubuntu package. If you don’t test things side by side with equal and double-blind processes like scientists regularly do, then you cannot arrive at the TRUTH of the matter about usability, stability, eye-candy, flexibility, and so on and on and on. Until then, take the time to really think about what you say if you are going to bash and badmouth another OS. If you want to be taken seriously, you have to back up your claims with the heavy-weight evidence. Remember this quote: “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence…whatever is in discord with the facts, must either be discarded or revised.”–Quote courtesy of the late Astronomer Dr. Carl Sagan. Google him if you don’t know what I am talking about. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. I have set the record straight.–jnm.

41. scooterpow Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 2:59 am

Somebody had to say it and Jerasimos N. Mantas Did!

42. Tomasz Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 4:22 am

Just wanted to say, openoffice is great(free&works). Im a tech, and go to people homes for the past 4 years, 6 calls a day.(do the math) and have always noticed that most people, especially low income(70%) do not even know what to do once office expires after 60 days, Its great that all you geeks can download it for free or pay!! but most people can’t afford it. so i always spread the word of opensource. I have converted a ton of people to Ubuntu and open software. Ask your self what have you done!! except complaint and bash others. Child games!!! And you want to be taken seriously!!!???

43. Peterh Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 6:04 am

@Jerasimos Mantas: Your rant is as unbiased as the original article :-) I guess we are all fanboys (fangirls?) of our particular OS’s.

44. Varunjo Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 6:42 am

@Tomasz good work……..i myself, though i am only 14, have converted around 20 people to ubuntu….thumbs up to canonical for providing us with such a fabulous os

45. Shaun Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 10:59 am

I’ve been using Ubuntu since Hardy Heron 8.04 and haven’t looked back since.
    Advantages – Fast, Stable, Dependable support, Less Memory/Resource dependent, and Open Source

Nice Varunjo – way to convert the users out there (and at 14?… the next Linux Server Network guru? LOL)

(Downloading Lucid at this very moment)

46. Guy Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 11:00 am

I am amazed that people putz about with multibooting without using a dedicated partitioning/boot menu program. The best allows >200 primary partitions per disk…that is not a typo…two hundred. Get http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm.

47. Marc Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 11:23 am

Stuart – you mentioned that you dislike OpenOffice. What product(s) do you use instead?
    Regards

48. Jimbo Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I’ve been using various versions of Linux for four years. I have to say that wiping Windows off my machine was one of the most liberating things I’ve ever done. I’m not a fanboy, far from it, but I always get shirty when people say things like “Linux doesn’t recognise any hardware”. Such comments are so clearly dim that I don’t know how anyone can say them without being embarrassed. For one thing, Linux, especially the more used flavours of it like Ubuntu, really do recognise a huge amount of hardware. Indeed, I have been able to get things working on my Ubuntu computer that others have given up on. Twice now my computer has been ushered in at work when no one can find drivers for a video projector. Also, on numerous occasions, I have been able to use printers that have been abandoned by my Windows suffering colleagues. This leads me to the second reason why the “Linux doesn’t work on my hardware” statements annoy me: that hardware manufacturers rarely actually make drivers that work with Linux. The fact that Linux does indeed work with so much hardware is amazing, and shows the commitment and dedication of those who spend a lot of their time reverse-engineering stuff so that it works with Linux. I’m not saying that Linux is guaranteed to work with everything, but there is a very good chance it will work, and if it doesn’t, it will do so soon. Compare this with Windows. How much hardware do you think you could get running if you didn’t have the drivers? What are the chances that you could just plug in something like a video projector and that it works straight off without having to install anything? The chances aren’t good – with Linux they’re very high.
    Also, and I have to say it, it’s so wonderful to have a computer that you can work with and not have to work on. I spent so much time cleaning and tweaking Windows, taking out viruses, malware, defragmenting the disk (which is totally unnecessary with Linux) and yet it still needed more and yet more of my time, and then, after a couple of years, re installation. In the four years I have been using Linux I haven’t had a single major issue. And games? Well, if you want them, why play them on your computer anyway? The best games are on the Playstation and the Wii – which are both powered by the Linux kernel, by the way.

49. Stuart Turton Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Hi Marc, I used Office 2007 – and still do through Wine on Ubuntu – and the Office 2010 beta on my work PC. The live search on 2010 is the best feature of anything ever.

50. Gindylow Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I’ve checked every major release of Ubuntu since Version 7.

I cannot perform the work I do with it because the rendering, vector and pixel pushing software is just not up to muster, and WINE when you get down to reading the compatability listings just doesnt cut it in a production environment.

So its a no go for me at work.

If it’s for a Netbook / Basic PC type role then its great, but to be honest for that type of Role I’d rather get hold of an Ebay system with XP Pro CoA on it and something like a Pentium D or Core Duo chip all in for £100.00

51. carolinason Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:16 pm

didn’t get any one you did you? did you try flash, it might work if your cpu runs on uranium, well faster than 2GHz and another core to help run uuuh anything else. last release 9.10 ran flash okay and was at least watchable.

52. Connor Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:21 pm

@Jimbo

So agree! For example, trying to get XP (every notive how XP is also the “dead” smiley face?) on alittle 15 GB partition, ti kept telling me to go the the manufacturer’s website to download drives to get my Ethernet controller working.

After a few hours, I was PO-ed, so I booted up ‘buntu, installed VirtualBox, plopped ExPee inside it, and it works fine, Ubuntu took care of everything.

Another great example is, last month, my Dad’s brand new printer wouldn’t work. I had install Ubuntu 7. something a few years back. He called, and I asked if he had tried it on Ubuntu. He said he hadn’t. When he opened up Ubuntu a tried printing from there, the old OS worked with his brand new shiny printer.

As for your last paragraph, I couldn’t agree more. I tell you it’s just so friken awesome to see Ubuntu boot up on a Playstation. I even got it to print porting to my little Arduino. (Google it) Still need to get Ubuntu working with Wii though…

53. Connor Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Reading the guy above me:

The only problem I had with Flash on Ubuntu was not doing rawing surfaces well, which was fixed through a little hack, and not being able to play this new game Heroes of Gaia that I found last week :( , but that’s Adobe’s issue.

54. Connor Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Sorry to be a triple-post, but I sould mention that the computer I said above is a free wont I picked up: 2.1 GHz, 1GB RAM, and an ATI graphics card that may as well not exist.

55. Keith Fretz Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Why is Windows like a lousey job? Nobody likes ‘em, but nobody quits.

56. ActionParsnip Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 1:58 pm

If you don’t like Chrome/Chromium’s blue bar. SKIN IT MORON. It’s chanagable. I hate idiots who moan about how stuff looks when it is full customisable. Grow up!

57. Mike Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Well Daniel, have you tried running anything through Wine? I know COD/MW does run in Linux. I’m not too sure about WoW though. But Linux is so beautiful. Nothing crashes :D Unlike Window’s Shell..lol.

58. henryg Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

So what do the Linux fans use for a calendar and address books app, and then for syncing to mobile phones; Nokia (Ovi or PCSuite; name’s a bit of a giveaway), iPhone (iTunes) or Samsung? Actually, never mind Samsung which is crap even with Windows.

59. Mike Lee Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 4:44 pm

I have used Ubuntu ever since 7.04 and have found every release to be more stable than before. It seems ot me Ubuntu is far smoother and reliable than Windows any version, I have used from Windows 3.1 all the way up to Windows 7 32 and 64 bit, I have to say Windows 7 takes a bit of getting used to but Ubuntu is still as smooth as ever and a joy to use. Each ot there own, and I am not into this childish game of Windows is better/ Ubuntu is better. If the machine does what you ask it to do then that’s it isnt it? Or do we resort to ohhhhhhh my machine looks better than yours does? For me well it has to be Ubuntu over any version of Windows any day but that’s my personal preference. There will however be the childish comments that belong in the school playground, LEAVE them there. Some prefer Windows some prefer Ubuntu so what? If the owner of that PC case with what ever OS is there suits then that’s it surely? But I aks this now be honest here ok? Hoiw many Windows users actually have a GENUINE licence? If you don’t then SHUT UP, Well as for Ubuntu you don’t need one, and for those who own a copy of any version of Ubuntu don,t forget its FREE and you don,t pay for it, can you say that about Microsoft? No and you never will either.
    At the end of the day it all comes down to what each user finds beter for what ever reason, for me well its like this I use Windows 7 for Amikit and Paltalk messenger,Ubuntu for every thing else, so I have the best of both worlds and I don’t need to complain like a big spoilt kid in a playground.
    As that bloody annoying animal on the TV adverts says “Its simplez”

60. Mike Lee Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Ohhhhh yes sorry to add, yes my version both of 32 and 64bit of Windows 7 have licences both are fully legal.

61. Paul Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Looks like I’ll have to wait till 10.04 is released before seeing how quickly it boots.
    Also, I wonder if it still uses its own boot-loader if you dual-boot between Ubuntu & Windows? I remember the last time I dual-booted, I had problems removing the Grub(?) boot-loader.

62. Stuart Turton Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

@Paul. Sorry, I meant to respond earlier and forgot. On average Ubuntu boots in forty seconds compared to 58 for Windows 7 on my machine.

As for uninstalling, if you choose the Install within Windows option that’s discussed above – Ubuntu is added to Windows Add/Remove menu, and disappears without trace. Otherwise, you’ll need to collapse the partition you installed it on.

63. Daniel Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

@Thomas and others, your unfriendly smug attitude will not encourage the uptake of Linux.

@Mike, I tried Wine, and initially fed it Civilzation IV, which installed OK and loaded to the main screen before consistently crashing. I may well have another crack at it if MW2 will play ball.

@paul, I had the same problem, GRUB crashed the PC before even getting to load an OS after I removed Ubuntu. After extensive web searches (from laptop) turned up nothing but how to install GRUB, I rebuilt from scratch with Win7.

64. Bas Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 8:17 pm

About the game issue, just dual boot for that, if you need to do something productive or IM and stuff, boot to Ubuntu, if you want to play games, boot to Win. I usually boot to Linux now, since I got a PS3 for the gaming xD

65. Jeff Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I haven’t been able to get Youtube working on Ubuntu or Ultimate. I keep drying to download the player, but it still doesn’t work.

66. duncan Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Your blog caught my eye! I also intrepidly installed 10.04, and it’s great!

67. Paul Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

@Stuart & Daniel – Many thanks for the info. I think I’ll use the install within Windows option, see how it goes, and then think about creating an Ubuntu partition.

Seeing how I rarely play games, using Ubuntu as my main OS appeals to me. Although, the Grub boot-loader issue doesn’t sound too promising. Time for a search, to see if it’s possible to revert to the Windows one, after an Ubuntu install.

68. Mr. Greenburg Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 9:42 pm

“…a supermodel Smurf invited to a twilight tractor pull.” — Mad libs?

Kubuntu = Success, but I quit video gaming when I was 22. I do still play with my balls a lot, though.

69. Leandro Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 10:01 pm

@ Chris – MCE remote with the usb dongle works out of the box. Stick with Hauppauge cards if you want to record TV. If you just want something to store your music and movies, have a look at xbmc.

70. Wolter Hellmund Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I agree with most of what you say on your article, except the following:
    * Ubuntu 10.04’s excellence is not represented at all by gwibber, which has ceased working I don’t know why.
    * This is not the first release of Ubuntu that feels like an operating system; in fact, every other release as far as I can remember has felt more like an operating system–and a pretty decent one–than Windows. That thing is a mess.
    * I used to hate OpenOffice too, but with a couple of usage sessions I think its better than Word, even considering Word is maybe the best software Microsoft has. It just cuts the crap and really works, e.g. lets you export PDF out of the box.

71. Waderider Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Nice article. I stopped buying PC Pro a few years ago because your so Windows centric and I made the step to linux. It would be nice if there was more linux articles in the mag then it might be worth buying for me again.

@Chris, I use Mythtv, and it’s set up as keyboard controlled out of the box that means with a wireless keyboard you’ve got a cumbersome but powerful remote. Although others have said, your MCE controller should work. I have to say Mythtv is actually one of the hardest bits of software to set up though.

My opinion has been for the last few years is I can’t understand why people – especially tech enthusiasts – use Windows, unless they are gamers. The initial learning curve of linux is WELL worth getting on.

72. Wolter Hellmund Says:
    March 24th, 2010 at 11:10 pm

omg, just read Windywoo’s comment. Its the most stupid comment you can find in this array, I strongly believe.
    First, linux is waaay more reliable than windows; why do you think its used on the best web servers, internet servers? Would you be as dishonest as to say that Windows doesn’t freeze up with minor tasks sometimes (damn can vista make a good computer look bad)? Linux doesn’t. In fact, its rare to see Linux freeze.
    Second, THE REASON WHY WINDOWS ‘SUPPORTS’ MORE HARDWARE IS BECAUSE HARDWARE VENDORS MAKE WINDOWS DRIVERS ASSHOLE. Linux supports less hardware (statement which becomes untrue as the time ticks) is because people all around the world need to hack stuff and break it open to make drivers. And today almost any hardware is supported by linux. Can you believe people do THAT just to not use Windows? Thats how you measure how crappy Windows is.
    Third, as you heard already, wireless N is nothing new to Linux, get your facts right Wincrap fanboy. Now Ill go get all this nerd-rage off by cooking lunch

73. Dave Armstrong Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 7:36 am

@Windywoo re: “unreliable Linux.”

We have about 50 Linux computers and about 10 Windows boxes. Some of the linux computers have been in place since 2002 (new ones have been added since then). The only computers we have problems with are the Windows boxes. Once the Linux boxes are setup, they just run. Windows causes me more headache and there are only 10 of them.

74. Joseph Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 1:23 pm

YAWN!

75. nicomo Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 2:12 pm

I have used so many different flavours of Linux over the years and though I do like Ubuntu and will no doubt download it soon and give it a whirl, I’m rather taken in by Slackware 13 and the lastest Fedora at the moment. I really do think and believe Linux is worth learning as it is already mainstream in schools and other educational establishments and growing in popularity – those who don’t take the time to venture and learn it are those who will no doubt lose out.

76. SkuaSept Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I have Karmic Koala running on a PC in the basement. It does a load of stuff really well, updates in particular. There’s software for everything and it hasn’t crashed once. But I can’t find a way to install either of the USB DVB-T sticks I have. I have a Samsung laser printer and I suspect it will be a similar story here too. Until I can install ALL the hardware without having to take a six-month course in the niceties of a lot of stuff that does not earn me any money, the basement PC is where it will stay. It’s that simple.

77. suli Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 3:26 pm

“Windows is a toy”

You say that as if toys are bad things. I love linux but the lack of decent games really does suck. The abundance of great games on windows keeps me from spending too much time yelling at kids to keep off my lawn.

78. Adam Williamson Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I’m a bit confused by “Firefox, Evolution, OpenOffice and the rest of the installed applications come dressed in a common interface, and while Ubuntu’s still not as flashy as Windows 7 or Mac OS X, it finally feels like an operating system, rather than a slightly awkward party with lots of different guests shuffling up against one another. The biggest beneficiary of the new school uniform is Firefox.”

Erm, what? Evolution is a GTK+ app, and Firefox and OpenOffice.org both respect GTK+ themes (if you use OpenOffice.org-gnome, in OO’s case). They should always have a consistent appearance on any distribution, unless OO.o is poorly configured by the distribution. This has been the case on the distros I’m familiar with (Fedora and Mandriva) forever. Did previous Ubuntu releases somehow manage not to have consistent theming for these apps? If so…how?

79. Gindylow Says:
    March 25th, 2010 at 7:06 pm

“keeps me from spending too much time yelling at kids to keep off my lawn.”

LoL so that’s were Garry GLitter went wrong, he shouldn’t have been using Linux.

I’m amazed after 2 days of posting nobody has mentioned Chrome OS.

Having so many flavours of Linux, is both its success and its failure.

Huge experimentation and testing goes on in Apps, OS and Gui.

But it takes a concerted commercial effort to bring it off the shelf and turn it into a domesticated animal like Mac OS or what Chrome OS will end up like I hope.

Time will tell.

80. Windywoo Says:
    March 26th, 2010 at 1:13 am

Listen you penguin pea brains, Linux is great when it works but if it doesn’t you have a whole heap of hassle to contend with.

This is what I mean by Linux being unreliable. Firstly, wireless adapters. Are Belkin and Netgear adapters even supported? NDISWrapper might work for these but there is no getting around the fact that some companies refuse to produce drivers or even give specifications so that community drivers can be made. Tech folk like myself understand the situation, but I wouldn’t put it on someone else’s computer and then have them come back to me when they buy a network adapter that doesn’t work with their computer.

Secondly, I have an Atheros Wireless N adapter which works… at G speeds. Not so great to have one device connecting at G thus slowing down the rest of your network. Whats more, there are two adapters on my laptop, the built in one and the N one. In Windows I simply go to Device Manager and disable the built in one and everything is great. In Linux there probably is a way to disable the built in adapter but I couldn’t find a solution. So I had two adapters and they would interfere for whatever reason. The internet would slow down if both were connected. And Ubuntu would attempt to connect both even if I told it to connect only one. It was necessary to connect one first and then disconnect the other, or bind the wireless network to one adapter only. But even with this solution the N adapter would inexplicably become disconnected and I could only fix it with a reboot and no amount of sudo iwconfig would help. In the end I had to take out the N adapter. Again this sort of thing is acceptable for me because I am a geek but still not acceptable for my dad who gets confused by Outlook.

An even older laptop that I had ran fine under Windows after all the right drivers were installed. In Linux I had to connect via a wire to download the Broadcom drivers. When I installed the nvidia drivers to enable compiz the screen resolution would only go to some weird 800*480. I had to download a custom EDID and edit my xorg.conf to get the correct resolution and to stop Linux setting the external VGA connection as the default thus leaving me with a blank screen.

I had an older router that didn’t support IPV6. Linux crashed the fucking thing just by connecting to it.

So don’t come here and talk to me about how reliable Linux is. As a server OS without a GUI of course it is. As a mainstream desktop OS we will have to see if this beta changes things.

81. Windywoo Says:
    March 26th, 2010 at 1:25 am

Oh and wtf Linux doesn’t freeze? Just today I had rythmbox freeze because it wouldn’t recognise my Creative Zen Jukebox, an MP3 player that is years old and should be wee buns for Linux by now.

I should mention that Ubuntu was the distro that gave me least trouble. The others that I tried such as Fedora, SuSe and Sabayon either wouldn’t recognise that wireless N adapter at all or compiz wouldn’t work or privoxy.

I am constantly looking for a Linux distro that gives me less hassle than Windows. I feel you are being dishonest if you think that Linux would work for the average user on the latest hardware. There are simply too many technical/political issues that only us geeks would understand.

82. filip007 Says:
    March 26th, 2010 at 9:09 am

You can disable that text border in OpenOffice and than will look like Word, how hard can it be.

83. Joe Says:
    March 26th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’d love Linux to have decent font rendering. Why do the fonts look so cack?

84. medad Says:
    March 27th, 2010 at 5:01 am

I am glad to read that 10.04 is progressing so well. I enjoy using 9.10 currently as it is solid and is good at the basics. I actually set up 9.04 for my inlaws when their XP went belly up, but it didn’t last long. I don’t have a lot of experience with Wine so I had to go back to Windows so that they could play their PC games. If it wasn’t for the PC games that they wanted to play, they would still be using Ubuntu. Everything worked out of the box including their multi purpose fax/printer machine. I still haven’t had time to download the drivers for them to print since I reinstalled XP. With the exception of Shockwave related websites, Ubuntu has been a great system to be used online.
    @SkuaSept- I have a Samsung colour laser printer on my 9.10. It linked flawlessly to Ubuntu immediately. No additional drivers were required.
    I did have a USB wireless N adapter that did require a tweak in Ubuntu, but once the tweak was completed it worked flawlessly with my N router.

85. tracyanne Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 3:54 am

quote::I tried Ubuntu 9.04, and it was very good. It did everything computer-esque I would ask of Windows, but unfortunately it gives up when trying to run heavy duty 3D Windows games, so out it went.:quote

What I can’t undestand is why you didn’t keep Windows around for for what it’s good at – playing games, and continue to use Ubuntu for everything else.That way you get the best of both worlds, a fully functional highly secure operating system, and a System for playing games.

That’s what I do, use Windows for what it’s good at, and Linux for everything else.

86. tracyanne Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 4:00 am

Actually, in our house there is only 1 machine that runs Windows now. The other 5 (2 are Servers – one’s a file server, and a media server) , my netbook (Ubuntu Netbook remix), my laptop, and my pertners laptop.

And the Windows machine, which we use
    for the only thing it’s really useful for.

87. Gary Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 5:20 am

I switched to Debian a month ago and I won’t switch back. Ubuntu was great but I leave it behind for something more stable. Good looks is just not enough for me anymore and even then, default, Ubuntu is not tht hot anyway sinc they switched which side the close/minimize buttons are on which makes 0 sense.

88. Bill Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 11:35 am

I would recommend having 2 Hard Drives in your PC – Linux on one and Windows on the other and connect them alternately to test Linux temporarily.
    That way you can learn at your leisure and have 2 Pcs in one should one OS go belly up.
    Keep IT Simple!
    When you get confident you can graduate to greater things and keep the flexibilty Linux offers.
    If you only use Windows you are losing out big time.
    Linux allows you to buy powerful hardware to match the free powerful Linux software and puts smiles on your friends & families faces – Now thats what IT should do!
    Most of the worlds Finance and Web Servers use it and lately Linux is now the OS for the Main Film Studios never mind Games servers!
    Its been IBM’s secret weapon for years and now Oracle see it as taking off. Your cell phone will probably have it also very shortly.
    So get real and take Linux seriously and you will never regret it. Have Fun – just like in the early days of computing!
    Windows is a complete diversion from fun using computers.
    (i7 PC self-built and Linux User 3 years).

89. Bill Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

If I was unemployed today I would learn Linux (either as a User or as an Administrator or Programmer) as much as possible because you would always find it empowering
    and Work will find you! Just be patient while building you skills.

I would network with other like-minded people (now, from all over the world) and share your learning experiences. That is how Steve Jobs started…

I had to go to California in the 1970’s to get a humble Apple PC!

Also I once had to buy an IBM 386 PC Server that cost £102,000 back in 1991! Today you can buy a more powerful (20 times) PC than that for £200!

You have never had IT so good, but you need to wake up to IT’s opportunities that are coming down the track.

PS I also forgot to say the BBC use Linux extensively.

90. dog Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I’m surprised you find OpenOffice so inferior. For average word processing, I find it equivalent. For large documents, both crash pretty badly, but I hate office worse — lost too many copies of my thesis. It’s better at some, worse at others. But if you want to run Word, as I do for compatability with word users (no two word processors seem to preserve formatting perfectly between formats) then why not run kvm with windows running in a virtual machine under Linux? That would seem to be the seamless approach — the robustness of Linux, whatever games and crapware you want in Windows.

Having said that, I have found that windows 7 is robust enough that I don’t need Linux as badly as I used to, even though for C++ development, I’ll still take the real thing over cygwin any time.

91. Helen Neely Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I have always used Windows, but since installing Ubuntu 8.10 a year ago, I’ve never looked back. This 10.4 is a big improvement on previous versions and will continue to be so.

Nice review btw.

92. Innocent Bystander Says:
    March 28th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Installed 10.04 beta1 64 bits, fresh install from Live CD, reformat all partitions. The hard drive doesn’t want to boot. Redid another install but still failed.

On the same hard drive, I reinstalled 9.10 x64 and it works OK. Can anyone confirm?

93. tracyanne Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Innocent Bystander:: I’m running Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit on my 64 Bit 4 core (core2 DUO or something) Intel CPU Laptop. 8 gig of RAM, and 500 gig HD. It runs great.

I’ve only tried 32 bit 10.04 on a VM. It too worked fine.

94. badbunny Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Linux is good. But attacking all users of alternative products is childish and counter-productive. Educating people about the similarities and differences is a good thing, but I could summarise (most of) the previous 90-odd posts with probably 3 statements: “Linux is great. Windoes is sh*t. You are a moron if you don’t use Linux.” And Windows is not sh*t. It reliably does the job for me every day, and so I choose to continuing using it. I have a right to that choice, just like anyone else who chooses not to use Linux.

95. thiyagi Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Plz dont talk about windows, everything costs money in windows,firewall,antivirus,apps,Burner,Photo editor,Audio/video converter,OS itself and much more .Its really a pain in the A**, that to when ubuntu softwares and games are free with stable and fast OS.
    Now Iam using ubuntu 9.10 with ubuntu 10.04 in virtualbox. I dont want to praise it anymore as everyone else did it already, just as simple as that “Ubuntu is simply brilliant”. Another big advantage of using linux is that, how much u use linux that much u will learn how linux works, as a technical person thats REALLY worthwhile. Consider a bike(as Windows or Linux)for example, Windows users will only know how to use the bike, like ride it(as it has so many limitations). But Linux users day-by-day will come to know how the bike works and will have the ability to customize the bike to any form, he likes. Thats how all the linux distros were born. This is not a simple thing just to understand, its a revolution comparing to other OS’s.This revolution will only lead to increasing of many linux developers, developing many free linux OS’s with more enhanced functions and freedom to actually use them(linux users can understand what iam talking about).
    So this process SHOULD BE appreciated….Use free OS
    I love it, when said “Ubuntu for Freedom lovers”

96. badbunny Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 8:12 pm

To start off with, I just want to note that I am a Linux user, have been for 7 years now, and am an advocate of its use to other people where I think its appropriate. With that said…

@thiyagi

I’m sorry but you are saying a lot of rubbish about Windows. Everything does not cost money in Windows. In your list of programs that cost, the only thing I have had to pay for is the OS itself which does not cost an extortionate amount. For all of the other programs you list I use one of the numerous free or open source alternatives readily available (some of which originated from Linux).

You also seem to be deluded about what most users want from an OS. With reference to your bike analogy, most riders in fact just want to ride their bike, not “understand how it works” or “customize the bike to any form”. For the majority of users the OS is just a (hopefully) transparent platform for the programs they need to use to accomplish what they want to do. For ease-of-use Linux is really starting to catch up with Windows, with real advances made since Ubuntu became popular, but (in my opinion) it is still not ready yet for the masses. I have no doubt that it will get there in the end though.

97. RON Says:
    March 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am

@Windywoo regarding Creative Zen Jukebox -

I also have one of these devices – the fact is you probably just used your music player and never thought to keep it’s software up to date. The released an update that changes the device to detect as a MTU device – which is a hell of a lot better then relying on drivers to interface with your player. Google has the answers you need.

I have modded Ubuntu 9.04 into my own distro that I personally installed on to peoples PC’s – I haven’t had any problems with this approach and having it pre configured saves me hours per install settings things up to how I think people will like it. No other release has all the tools so easily available and the repository’s for ubuntu even has a single dependency item to install the whole Bare OS to build on, After spending 3 months getting Linux From Scratch, with a custom compiled kernel I can see what Ubuntu have to deal with every cycle and I appreciate them taking on making Linux the best Desktop OS for long term, safe and stable use for home users. Really Work PC’s can either use Windows or Linux, depending on if the hardware functions. From a developers point of view Linux gives the most power and information, but at times it offers too much choice/methods, where as Windows has 1 good way to do something and it does it the same on ANY Windows machine. We all know that Linux will be increasing in popularity (especially for it’s price), I plan on joining in as a developer in the future, separate from other devs who have adopted to leave the choices to the end users and make them myself for you, it wont suit everybody, but it will make life easier for beginners/people abandoning windows. I have had almost 90% of games run fine under Wine (latest version) with directx and Microsoft run-times installed to it. For now please give ubuntu 2 – 3 weeks of daily use, only switching back to windows when you have no time to attempt doing the same thing under Ubuntu, give google a good workout, the thing about Ubuntu is the answers are out there and suited to Ubuntu users. Where as finding other Distro Specific answers take a lot more searching. Those who have already mastered linux and have picked their fav Distro, stop forcing other people (especially those who only want to use their PC’s) to use Ubuntu… If most of the non tech, home users move off to Ubuntu it’ll attract Game developers to improve the selection on Ubuntu/ thus with a lil tweaking other distro’s too AND at the same time make offering support a whole lot simpler than having to train tech’s in each distro just so they know the minor GUI differences that a home user may need to locate over the phone… The good thing about windows is I and many others are able to guide a person through a GUI to fix a problem without even having a PC in front of us. The only thing I feel that has truly stopped Linux being adopted by a larger user base is the fact that one Distro hasn’t been allowed to come above the pack to become the standard that all users have! I have often heard linux described as lego, you can build anything you want to preform any task you may want, this takes time and even with instructions can be damn frustrating for a beginner to do. So next time you see Ubuntu and think the Distro I am using is better. . .keep in mind that all Linux’s get the best features from all the others sooner or later. BUT having one Linux to rule them all will produce faster results for it’s future than everyone splitting off because they choose to disagree. I hope Linux 10.10 will be just that 10/10 (10 Out Of 10) – just if your a dev and choose not to support Ubuntu, please think about what I have said and give it a go, for the future of all Linux, we must make a base Standard that everyone can adopt, the others can focus on giving you what your looking for, but we’re trying to get the one you’d install on your Best Friends Mothers PC for her to use, honestly you don’t want to be the one she contacts for support, palm her questions off to the HUGE support base Ubuntu has, install and forget about it, that way apart from her PC being struck by lightning you’ll never see or hear about it again!

98. Sigma957 Says:
    March 31st, 2010 at 9:48 am

Yes thiyagi, you are being an idiot. You must know by now that 7 is out right? The only thing that cost 99.00 was 7 Professional DVD (win32/x64) (BETA testing has its perks). I haven’t paid for antivirus programs, browsers, have GIMP (yes it runs in Windows 7 in true 64bit, imagine that), not even for burning software since I picked up a copy. The new drag and drop burning feature is fabulous. Who needs Nero or whatever. Plus I didn’t have to load any drivers for 7, EVERYTHING was recognized and automatically configured for optimal performance. Oh yeah, and 7 plays Crysis just fine. In fact this is the fisrt Windows that doesn’t annoy me at all.
    I have not had 100% success like that with any version of Ubuntu yet.
    And yes I have been dabbling in Ubuntu since the 6 series. I have yet to see a version that yet does everything an MS OS can. And yes I will be happy when 10.04 final is out and dual boot.
    You’re the type of person (or that’s the vibe you give off) that I would probably punch in the face if you started mouthing off. Please go read some Dale Carnegie books.

99. David Says:
    April 1st, 2010 at 3:02 am

Installed in 10 minutes.
    Boots in 20 seconds from cold start. Ultra responsive.
    WIN

100. Keith Rider Says:
    April 1st, 2010 at 9:45 am

I have had ubuntu from the ‘Boozy Badger’ and each one seems to get better. I like how it finds all my hardware and installs it before I realise. It also installed my Samsung Laser. The Beta of 10 I am a bit uncertain about. It couldn’t find my SATA drives, and I don’t like where the windows open/close icons are – on the wrong side. I will just have to wait for the full vrsion to come out at the end of April.

101. Jarlath Reidy Says:
    April 1st, 2010 at 11:36 am

There are plenty of good games for linux now anyway. People just haven’t always heard of them: http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/

102. Simon Says:
    April 3rd, 2010 at 9:25 am

“Ubuntu’s still not as flashy as Windows 7 or Mac OS X”

Obviously you’ve never tried using Compiz which gives you all the “new” features for Windows 7 like Aero Snap about 3 years ago & all of the MAC OS X features like Expose, Spaces etc… about 3 years ago…

Plus you get Ubuntu’s own features on top of that…

Bit unfair of you to say it’s not as flashy as Windows 7 or MAC OS X when it’s quite evident from basic research it’s just as flashy if not more.

103. Steve Morris Says:
    April 3rd, 2010 at 10:15 am

I use Ubuntu for Web Design and its great,I am so looking forward to 10.4.

I have to have a duel boot system for the testing of web layouts in other browsers. I’m not sure if I like the idea of having it run within Windows as this my Win 7 install locks up at least once a day

104. Bozo frapp Says:
    April 3rd, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Flashy? I’ve been using Ubuntu since 6.06 and I like it. But why is so much effort and hype put on the looks of an OS? I must be am old fogey because all I want an OS to do is work. Why did Ubuntu give up on dial-uppers? First thing I do after a new version install is remove compiz, beryl, games, bluetooth, etc etc. I don’t need no stinkin twirling destop cubes nor transparent windows. I wish the install program presented a page with checkmark boxes for every program to allow th e user to select which ones he/she wants to be installed.

I like Open Office. If you don’t like it why noy say why rather than just “I don’t like it”.

105. Windywoo Says:
    April 5th, 2010 at 4:16 am

Today I opened System Monitor to see if I could work out what processes to restart to get wireless working again rather than reboot. System Monitor froze and was greyed out for a good minute or two before I could use it.

I really am amazed that anyone could come here and slag off Windows and praise Linux so highly as being reliable. I would really love it to be so, but I’ve never had a Linux install that just worked straight away as Windows 7 does. Even XP and Vista work fine usually once I have all the drivers.

106. Padi Phillips Says:
    April 7th, 2010 at 5:01 am

Hmm, the usual dissent apparent here it seems. Windows is fine if you like paying for OS’s and then having to wait whilst issue/bugs/conflicts are resolved and then included in an update when the manufacturer decides, so I won’t comment on that – I do have XP as well on my system, which I primarily use for direct printing of CD/DVDs as thus far I haven’t found a method of doing this that isn’t ‘clunky’ under Ubuntu. For everything else I use Ubuntu, and have done so for eighteen months now. I’m trying out beta 10.04 and apart from the above mentioned resize/close buttons that have migrated to the left, I have only one other issue, and that is that streaming sound does not work when using Second Life with Linden Labs own Viewer 2 – it works fine on 9.10 (with Pulse Audio removed. I’m not sure about the purple theme though.

Why more people aren’t using Ubuntu is beyond me, but I respect peoples choices. What is less fathomable is the relatively limited numbers of corporate, or local authorities using Ubuntu and saving taxpayers a load of money?

107. Paul Says:
    April 7th, 2010 at 10:04 am

@Windywoo – You see what you’ve done is extrapolated your own experience and assumed it must apply to all Linux users. Maybe the person slagging off Windows, simply has an inverse experience to yours – Linux has worked for them, but Windows never has.

All we can deduce from personal testimonies is that it works for some people and doesn’t for others – not that Linux or Windows is to blame.

In my own experience, Ubuntu Linux has always worked fine for me, since about version 9.04, and Windows has always worked well for me too. So I like both.

108. Anonymouse Says:
    April 8th, 2010 at 3:36 am

My main problem with OpenOffice is the way-outdated graphics functions and ‘FontWorks’. This is a deal-breaker for me, and is the reason why I often refuse to use anything except Office 07/10. And it doesn’t come with a copy of Gill Sans (although that’s easily fixed)

109. Furdo Says:
    April 8th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

It took me half a day to install Ubuntu 10.4. It kept freezing and getting stuck. After installation it kept frrezinag and getting stuck The last time I was here in fluxbox my b and a fonts were garbled. I logged out and in again and now the fonts are OK. This 10.4 is a replacement for 9.3 which was rendered unbootable after I upgreded the kernel. I also have 9.04 which mostly works just fine, and I also have Slackware which always works. This may have to do with my ATI 4650 video card, but In my opinion Ubuntu is not getting better it is getting WORSE.

110. Mack Says:
    April 9th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

What a bunch of whingers you all are!
    Horses for courses, choose whichever one/two or more of your choice as suitable for your wants. OS choice is very like the coke/pepsi ‘war’ – for me there are days when I’ll choose one rather than the other…other days I’ll choose something else entirely. What matters is knowing what each is like so you can make the appropriate choices. Fanboys of either group just sound like kids who’ve had too much sugar. Thanks for the review Stuart, seems promising. Will give it a whirl on one of the PCs.

111. Paul Says:
    April 10th, 2010 at 5:03 am

Just tried the second beta. Looks very promising with boot time coming in at 30 seconds (off a wubi install). This compares to 70 seconds for my Windows 7 boot. Although, 7 has a third-party Firewall/Anti-virus which slows things down. Now, if I can replicate most of Window’s 7 functionality with 10.04 I might just move across.

112. yo Says:
    April 10th, 2010 at 11:13 am

Open Office may be offensive to some, but a great advantage to others. I personally would not touch MS Office 2007 with a fire poker. The logical and streamlined way of doing things in OOo sold me years ago and I use it religiously on Mac, Win and Linux.

113. me Says:
    April 10th, 2010 at 11:13 pm

can i play texas holdem poker on facebook now with this ubuntu version?

114. CMOT-Weasel Says:
    April 11th, 2010 at 10:29 am

“The live search on 2010 is the best feature of anything ever.” – your aspirations are pathetic! ;-)

Also: Will people chill out? Especially Windywoo. No matter whether your opinion is right or wrong, you need to chill the hell out.

While I’m having a go at Windywoo:
    “There are simply too many technical/political issues that only us geeks would understand.” – O RLY? Explain how my technophobic mother is ‘rather enjoying’ using the 10.04 beta?

ALso:
    “Second, THE REASON WHY WINDOWS ‘SUPPORTS’ MORE HARDWARE IS BECAUSE HARDWARE VENDORS MAKE WINDOWS DRIVERS ASSHOLE.” – Funny that. And this is the fault of Linux, why? If you were a vendor having to provide drivers for your hardware, and I decided one day I was going to create a system called ‘BadgerOS’, would you support it? Or would you let them make their own drivers and save you the hassle?

Think, then type.

115. Dalek Draco Says:
    April 13th, 2010 at 9:50 am

I am REALLY looking forward to Ubuntu 10.4. In fact I’m buying a new laptop for it :P .

Penguin pea brains? Actually I suspect it was the smartest move I ever made, switching from Windows.

I have to say that Windows is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but at the same time its not good either. Case in point Windows Vista, it was that crash-every-10-seconds-resource-hog that made me look around for alternatives (and thankfully find linux).

I’ve been running ubuntu since August last year now, and I have had many problems. But they have all been permanently solved. Ubuntu 9.10 had less problems than 9.04 (which I started with) and I suspect the same will be true of 10.4. Windows on the other hand has never had a fix that didnt cause more problems or fail to fix the one it was supposed to.

Anyway didn’t want to turn into a linux preacher (although I suspect everyone who knows me will be lol’ing at that) so I’ll just say…hurry up and release 10.4!!! I’m dying to play with it!

116. Mungo Says:
    April 13th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

OK its getting hot in here which is amusing but not really constructive. I’m still going to try out Ubuntu 9.10 on my PC, which I built myself but I still have a fear of trying Linus OS’s, this is normal for windows users. This is the crux of the matter, there is a fear that Ubuntu or other Linux OS’s won’t work as well or I’ll lose all my data.
    The comments above just show how militant the 2 sides can be and this will only turn off people who might be tempted to try Linux. Amongst the mainstream i.e. windows or MAC users, they’re hardly encouraged to try other OS’s.
    Having said that, I’ve learnt more about Linux from this blog than anything else I’ve read.
    Lastly, anyone know if Ubuntu 9.10 or a previous version can be used to replace the OS on an old Apple powerbook G4. £1500 worth of Apple that can’t update its software,

117. Drivindisco Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 8:29 am

I’ve been solely using Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop for about 3 months now. I’ve been down the road so many times before and only to give up a few weeks after installing. However, with Karmic my experience has been great and I look forward to the release of 10.4.
    One thing I really don’t understand is why everyone commenting about linux has to immediately start Microsoft bashing? I just don’t get it? What is so bad about Win 7? I think MS is finally getting it… On the other side, you rarely hear anyone say anything bad about Apple. The iPad gets release and everyone thinks its the greatest thing every invented. WHY? So you can not have Flash, a pen tool, a webcam, and REAL keyboard? At least the iphone makes phone calls! (And costs over 1/2 as much) Oh, I bet its b/c people love giving Apple their money… Really? Where is the monopoly suit for itunes? Didn’t MS get taken accused of Monopoly for what? Bundling IE! If you have any Apple product you have to install itunes! Apple is doing everything plus some that MS did in the 90s. And no one seems to care… Why? If you ask me everyone needs to really watch out for Apple. I don’t know… Guess MS will never be as cool as Apple! For now, I’ll wear my Tux…

118. HUEHNS Says:
    April 16th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I have windows seven unfortunately on two computers, the pro and premium versions. They don’t load particularly fast also although many computer firms recommend the os they don’t tell you you have to get new printers and scanners (particularly the latter) as one is told our driver doesn’t work with seven and we don’t intend to make one.
    So you have to go to the old and trusted very slow over loaded xp machine,

What about ubuntu (now on 9.10) with open office, thunderbird and firefox.
    Real heaven, printers i have work OK using cups. Scanners I haven’t
    got working yet but will do using
    sane,
    Boot times better than with 7 or xp.

This little missive is written with the OS on a memory stick. I can’t carry my seven around like that with me.
    I’m looking forward to the 29th of april, U-day.
    huehns

119. Cappii Says:
    April 17th, 2010 at 4:21 pm

I have been an Ubuntu user since 6.06LTS. I love Ubuntu as an alternative to Windows / Mac OSX, however, it is not the end-all and be-all of the computing world.

There are several places where it meets or exceeds Win/Mac, but there are also places where it lags behind… or does not work at all. The same can be said about any OS for any hand-picked argument.

As far as installing Windows in a virtual environment… why? I’d sooner have Windows than to have to boot 2 separate operating systems. This applies to Boot Camp / Parallels as well. There’s no point in using a free OS if you have to pay for another to make it work, and there’s no need to pay for a $1500 Mac if you have to pay $150 more for Windows to get the job done.

Ubuntu is amazing, though. I honestly feel that it will, one day, be good enough to take a major market share from Microsoft. But, right now, W7 is reigning supreme, and Ubuntu has a lot of ground to make up… again.

120. Fridz Says:
    April 18th, 2010 at 10:47 am

When you look past any “OS-religious” issues, the question on whether to use Linux or Windows is a question of cost.

Today, Ubuntu will get their job done for almost anyone (except if they live in a Microsoft dominated environment in which case there is no question of alternative). How much do Windows Licenses cost (if you steal it anyway, how much does your conscience cost)? How much do Ubuntu Licenses cost? Of course cost is more than licenses but I would argue that the other costs are mostly equal.

But maybe the question about which OS you choose is similar to the question of sex. Should you pay for it or can you get it for free?

121. erik Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

beta 2 ubu 10.04 works very well and my laptop boots in 11 seconds now. thats with good old fashioned mechanical 500 gig drive, not ssd. however, as crisp and clean as ubu is, kubuntu makes me weak at the knees with this edition.
    in the last year i have helped 11 windowz users migrate away from their malware and with the 10.04 release, i see that easily happening again. kubu 10.04 is just dang dreamy.

122. eddiekim Says:
    April 25th, 2010 at 5:38 am

I switched from Windows to Linux back during the reign of Ubuntu 8.10. Downloaded it from Distrowatch just cuz I was looking for something to do. I used it as a demo for about 30 minutes before I did away with Windows for good. Windows was always eat with viruses, malware, worms, trojans, crashes… lets just say i LOVE Ubuntu. I have since converted my younger brother and a few others. We all love it and will never go back. I get a new puter, first thing I do is wipe out windows. All Hail Ubuntu!!!

123. Xplo99 Says:
    April 26th, 2010 at 2:38 am

Ubuntu 10.4 should be nice. As for MS Office — Its good for those non-computer users who think computers were invented for chat and Facebook. Ubuntu offers easy access to programs like Gnu Emacs, LaTeX, Gnuplot, Gnu Cash, Gnumeric. These things cost me nothing and are state of the art. When I work eight hours I make a couple hundred dollars — why spend my hours on software when I can read documentation half that time and learn how to use superior solutions that are free.

124. Jean Pierre Rupp Says:
    April 26th, 2010 at 6:08 am

I think the new Ubuntu has polish, lots of it. It looks and feels quite integrated, very pro. It’s still more of an evolutionary process. I’ve seen it improve since day one, at a constant rate.

I personally don’t hold a grudge against OpenOffice.org, and the new version is much faster. Older versions were slow, not unbearably so, but still quite slow. I like Abiword and Gnumeric anytime. They are minimalist and well integrated to the Gnome desktop. OpenOffice.org still looks like it has been disguised to look Gnomeish, which is exactly the case.

125. John Says:
    April 27th, 2010 at 9:54 am

All these reviews that just focus on the colour of the desktop and Icons. This is no Windows or OS X, It only takes about a minute and you can make the desktop look like whatever you want. The default themes for me usually last less than 24 hrs. So the buttons move to the left-top on this one – if you don’t like it, just change them to the other side.
    Now for those that don’t like the name “Ubuntu” just use Linux Mint instead – its actually Ubuntu anyway with some of the rough edges smoothed off and proprietary apps for flash and Java preinstalled.

126. Wilson Says:
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Does anyone know if syncing to a pocket PC works seamlessly in this release? I know this was always a tedious process with the earlier versions of Ubuntu. What about Netflix streaming support? I don’t think that’s going to be supported on Linux anytime soon so most folks that use it will still need to rely on Windows or Mac.

127. Brian Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Just downloaded the 10.4 on 4/29/10. Started at 530 pm central and just left it do its thing, took 8 hours to upload, clean, remove old items and when I woke up the next morning, it was running like a charm. I have used Ubuntu since version 7.04 and have always liked the improvements and functionality of each change that has been made. This newest one works great. I own 5 Windows computers for my business and I don’t have any of the problems associated with Windows in the Linux box I play with. I find open office a good alternative to MS Office, especially if your paying the big bucks to Microsoft to have a program that likes to hog resources. Keep up the development because the Linux OS just works.

128. Projjal Says:
    May 1st, 2010 at 11:27 am

129. Gary Cuningham Says:
    May 1st, 2010 at 5:28 pm

“So what do the Linux fans use for a calendar and address books app, and then for syncing to mobile phones”

I use google apps (used to run scalix server) which syncs to my iphone and evolution and when I click on my date/time on ubuntu 10.04 it shows the appointments in date/time settings, a fantastic feature imho :D kudos to the ubuntu crew. looking forward to 10.10 already :D (been using ubuntu since 6.06)

130. Gary Cuningham Says:
    May 1st, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Projjal

“Hi I downloaded ubuntu 10.04 But when i’m going to burn it in the a CD as image files it is showing error massage. But when I ignore it then it burns. But it not installed”

Firstly you have to burn the download as an Image, dont burn the ISO as a file, (www.imgburn.com is a fantastic free iso burner)

Try a new disc, burn it at slower speed, if this fails then it may be a corrupt download.

PS I have an AMDX2 4200 with 75Gb Raptor Hard Drive and 2gb Ram and 10.04 boots to desktop from the Post Beep (ong before grub menu) in 27 secs !!! amazed at the boot time for what is now an older computer

131. Harold Saxon Says:
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:09 am

I’m running it on a computer wiht 378 MD RAM It runs faster than Windows 98, and everything just works. Congrats Ubuntu team!

132. Harold Saxon Says:
    May 4th, 2010 at 3:09 am

MB even. Sorry for the fast type!

133. Paggosgeek Says:
    May 4th, 2010 at 11:43 am

you can enable gtk themes in google chrome, please don’t make out firefox as being superior because of that.

134. Xe-nUx Says:
    May 13th, 2010 at 9:03 pm

@Windywoo:
    My friend i use Ubuntu cause my server are more stables with ubuntu than XP and i sont dont want to spend a fortune for server 2008,but i install windows 7 to test them except that many programs are not compatible they couldn find my LG subscribe DVD and my nVidia Fx3500 – ubuntu find it right away and show also the temprature ,windows are nice but i will ask you something have you try to install windows 7 in p4 1.7?If you want to save your hardware try ubuntu 9.10 and with compiz you can tease your friends that you old p4 works as good as their INTEL i7.We dont have windows cause we dont have walls…

135. Yogesh Vaidya Says:
    May 14th, 2010 at 10:20 am

I am finding difficulty to find widnows drivers.

136. shamim Arafat Rocky Says:
    May 14th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

i just installed it. seems kool! new to it. installation methods are not clear to me. but i think i will be get it fast. installed it on my windows seven. without any problemo. :D

137. rudolf Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 9:19 am

For you it’s birilliant but for me it totally broken. I had but 1-2 issues with 9.10 which were no big deal. But 10.4 brought missery into my life. A freshly installed system breaks (unbootable) after 2-3 days without an obvious reason (one of the many re-installation I didn’t install any software and drivers. Just used the things that were installed with the system. It broke after 2 days. I’ll most certainly return to 9.10 because there I had almost no worries. With 10.4 I have to pray every time I turn on/off the laptop hoping that the system will start. I’m talking here not about the beta but about the final release. Such a f*cked up version. I’m using Ubuntu since 6.06 and never had so many troubles like this one.

138. Brad Says:
    May 26th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Open Office sucks and when I loaded Windows 7 I did not have to download and install any drivers. It found them all for me. Why putz with Linux to get things to work when I can just load Windows and have everything work? Also, I haven’t had the BSoD since 2006 (Vista) and no viruses on Windows.

139. Roy Barber Says:
    October 29th, 2010 at 6:20 pm

i use ubuntu 10.4 on a dual boot of window7 and its very very fast on my quad core compaired to 7. i would recomend it to anyone.

140. Steve Morris Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I prefer the Linux Mint version built upon 10.04

141. δονητές Says:
    September 12th, 2011 at 9:15 am

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

142. Bradley Albertson Says:
    December 1st, 2011 at 2:04 am

What i do not realize is actually how you’re not actually much more well-liked than you may be now. You’re so intelligent. You realize therefore considerably relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from a lot of varied angles. Its like men and women aren’t fascinated unless it is one thing to accomplish with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. Always maintain it up!

143. Jamey Kanable Says:
    March 14th, 2012 at 1:43 am

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is wonderful, as well as the content!