Posted on September 7th, 2009 by Barry Collins

How to stream Spotify to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and digital radios

Xbox 360Spotify may have launched its iPhone and Android apps, but how about streaming the Spotify sounds to other devices in the home, such as games consoles and digital radios? After all, many of us have expensive speaker systems connected to the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, while the speakers found on the average laptop give even Barry White the nasally whine of the Bee Gees.

Although the Spotify software itself doesn’t support streaming to other devices, it’s perfectly possible to do so with the third-party software, Jamcast. What’s more, the Jamcast software is completely free of charge and (unlike the iPhone/Android software) you don’t need a premium Spotify account to take advantage.

I set this up on my Xbox 360 over the weekend and the process could barely be easier:

1. Download the Jamcast software and install it on your PC.

2. Open Jamcast, click the devices tab and check that your Xbox, PlayStation or digital radio/receiver appears in the list. If not, click Find and it should appear.

3. Fire up Spotify. Jamcast essentially broadcasts the output from your PC’s sound card to other devices on the home network, so check you’ve got no applications such as email clients running in the background, or be prepared to have your listening interrupted by “you’ve got new mail” jingles.

4. Turn on your Xbox and choose Music from the My Xbox section. Select Jamcast from the list of networked devices, then select Playlists and Virtual Soundcard. Click play, and after a few seconds delay, you should hear Spotify streaming through your console’s speakers. (Note that the instructions may vary slightly for other consoles/devices).

JAMCAST CAVEATS

Jamcast is beta software and the streaming experience isn’t perfect. The stream suffered from the odd audio wibble and drop out during our tests. A post on the Jamcast support forums claims this is down to the PC struggling to sample the Spotify audio quickly enough, which could be a particular problem on low-powered laptops and netbooks.

There’s also a five to ten second delay between the sound emanating from your PC and the sound coming out of your console/digital radio, so don’t panic if it doesn’t kick in immediately.

We also struggled to get Jamcast running on our test digital radio (the Revo Pico RadioStation), which recognised the Jamcast Virtual Soundcard playlist, but flatly refused to play it. Others have had more success with digital radios, judging by the forums.

MAC STREAMING

And what about those of you in Apple land, who are unable to install Jamcast? Several online forums suggest it’s possible to stream Spotify using a combination of the $25 Airfoil software and Apple’s Airport Express devices. Note – I haven’t tested this, so proceed at your own risk.

Let me know on comments below if you’ve found any alternative/better ways to stream Spotify to non-PC devices.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in: How To

29 Responses to “ How to stream Spotify to Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and digital radios ”

1. Joe Braidwood Says:
    September 7th, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I am using Spotify premium with Airfoil to stream to my hifi. Sounds great – althogh I query whether Airfoil/Airport express can handle the high quality 320kbps Ogg Vorbis streams, or whether it recompresses it during Wifi transport.

2. brinsley Says:
    September 9th, 2009 at 11:46 am

I have installed jamcast but it’s not finding my xbox or my ps3 ???
    (yes i have clicked find)

3. Half-man Says:
    September 19th, 2009 at 11:19 pm

brinsley:
    Turnd off you firewall? ore open the ports? or enabled UPnP on your ruter?

4. Mikey Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’ve Downloaded Spotify, Jamcast ect and Jamcast appears on my Xbox networks list, but when I play the virtual soundcard playlist, nothing is played. What’s going on?

5. tragic Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 6:54 pm

post on the support forums, they seem to reply really quick. helped me out, but i was just doing something silly =)

6. tragic Says:
    October 16th, 2009 at 6:55 pm

oh jamcast works awesome btw, cheers for this tip!

7. Englander Says:
    March 22nd, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I personally wouldn’t bother with anything you have to pay to subscribe to, even eventually.

Simply purchase an FM transmitter with a decent range – I got my one for £20 from eBay and it works throughout the house. Play it through the radio and no-one’s any the wise. No crackling or anything.

I’m sorry but I’m going to use a brand name here as my one is a LineX model and I couldn’t be happier with it. Just remember to use rechargeable batteries.

8. Cyril Seth Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Wow this works perfectly with spotify on my laptop. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions, I can now stream my music using Xbox 360 console and my home theater speakers!

9. Cyril Seth Says:
    March 29th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

@Mikey

Please check the volume control bar inside Spotify and make sure it is not muted. Hope this helps!

10. Jamie Says:
    April 1st, 2010 at 6:06 pm

What’s the point in paying for this. You can’t change tracks or albums without visiting the computer that is doing the streaming surely? Annoying if it’s in a different room but if it’s in the sme room as the console and audio equipment then why not just plug the computer straight into the audio amp?

11. Gemlo Says:
    April 2nd, 2010 at 9:39 pm

is there any other free programs like jamcast?

12. trog Says:
    April 20th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

@ Jamie

If your set-up is anything like mine it’s actually really difficult to get to the back of the amp and also I sit too far from it to run a wire from my laptop (I could post a pic but I CBA) so this is perfect, except I’m going to have a crack at shoutcast rather than jamcast…

13. Åke Friman Says:
    May 3rd, 2010 at 9:41 am

Working just fine with both Xbox360 and Soundbridge. No problem to hook up, just a pity not possible to control Spotify remote, but this might come?

14. Jonas Says:
    June 7th, 2010 at 11:59 pm

@Ake Friman
    I use my iPhone and iPad to remotely browse playlists, change tracks, play and pause on Spotify. Works like a charm.

15. Abe Elsner Says:
    June 26th, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Jamcast works great with my PS3 and also the Samsumg HDTV in the bedroom. My trial ended and I paid the £20, its worth it.

16. Chris Thomas Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 2:16 am

Works a treat. Any alternatives to jamcast? Using the trail version at the moment. For those saying there’s no point streaming to xbox if you can’t skip songs, go to the app store and download remoteless, spotify remote!

17. KeeSe Says:
    July 18th, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Works like a charm! Took me five mins to setup, great stuff!
    However, I’m a bit concerned with the software being a 14 day free license.. but I’ll find a solution to that =0

18. paul j Says:
    August 12th, 2010 at 9:26 pm

works really well on my laptop to xbox.. no lag or jumping yet.. it is duel core with decent spec. also i am using a interlink expresscard media remote (bluetooth) to pause and change song… it has a decent range and its credit card size. works if i’m in the other room and need to switch track. this remote worked spotify out of the box and i had to do nothing to get it to work!

19. Brad Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I installed Jamcast to my Win7 box upstairs and everything just worked with no fuss. This is way better than having to connect my PC up to the hifi for Spotify when friends come over. :-)

20. Marko Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Installing was really easy, but what was bad surporise was that the sound quality is really poor. It is probably enough if you’re listening music through TV loudspeakers.

21. Vince Says:
    October 16th, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Thanks man, for the tip

22. Waldo Says:
    November 15th, 2010 at 1:28 am

Wow, wish I knew about this a year ago. Up and running in 3 minutes and sound quality is great. Brilliant!

23. Ben Says:
    December 28th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Look like jamcast is no longer a free app. Although there is still a 14 day full featured trial

24. Michelle Zane Says:
    March 5th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I really like Jamcast thx!

25. Ryan Says:
    July 16th, 2011 at 1:54 pm

We got Spotify in the USA finally! Thanks for this guide, it works very well! Also to my PS3!

26. Dylan Says:
    April 25th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Brilliant. works a treat, and with Remoteless for spotify i’ll never buy a CD again!

27. jon Says:
    June 21st, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Haven’t tried yet but for those who have free spotify with ads, use Blockify to mute ads and even replace with tracks from your pc. so no embarrasing moments at parties!

28. Victorina Says:
    November 6th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Wow, superb weblog format! How long have you ever been blogging for?
    you made blogging glance easy. The overall glance of your
    web site is magnificent, let alone the content material!

29. Shannon Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Thanks! Works like a charm.